The Student Room Group

Am I a failure for thinking of dropping out.

I am very stressed about this. I am going into year 2 of Diagnostic Radiography and am not really enjoying my course, especially the placement part of it. I want to drop out but not sure what else I can do instead and I think my mom is disappointed in me for thinking about this, which is adding to my bad feelings. Ive only just turned 20 so surely Im not expected to have my whole life figured out?? I worked very hard in school to get into this course so I feel disappointment that I am writing this post a year later. Should I just stick it out ??
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

You are not a failure for not enjoying your undergrad course and considering whether to leave or stick it out.
It is your life, your health, your time and your student debt- not your mother's.
The final decision must be yours.

Remember that no uni course or qualification in the world is worth ruining your health and physical safety over.
Nor decimating your emotional stability, finances or positive mentality.
Good luck!
Hi, I’m in the same boat as you. Did you end up dropping out?
Original post by Anonymous
I am very stressed about this. I am going into year 2 of Diagnostic Radiography and am not really enjoying my course, especially the placement part of it. I want to drop out but not sure what else I can do instead and I think my mom is disappointed in me for thinking about this, which is adding to my bad feelings. Ive only just turned 20 so surely Im not expected to have my whole life figured out?? I worked very hard in school to get into this course so I feel disappointment that I am writing this post a year later. Should I just stick it out ??

Hello,
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
I apologise that you're not enjoying your course. This situation is far from ideal and I can understand that making these types of decisions are never easy, especially when you have family members who may not be thrilled about your choice however its important to remember that the only person living your life Is you!
Please do not make yourself miserable to provide someone else with pride. I'm sure your mother and others in your life will understand, because let's face it, nobody really knows what it's like until they have been there.
As stated above, listen to your gut.
I'd recommend speaking to your success coach at the university (or similar) and speaking to them about your concerns, they may be able to provide some direction on what you could do next, if you do decide to stick it out or not.

Best of luck,
Courtney H
Stick through it. Unless you've got something planned after dropping out (e.g. work opportunities), don't do it. Dropping out sets a precedent for the rest of your life that you're a quitter, and you'll realise how dreadful it'll be once you've dropped out and you have nothing lined up afterwards. You don't want to be the guy who asks themselves: 'What do I do now that I've dropped out'. Well, let that haunt you as you go to sleep, because you're not going to like it.

If you're not enjoying it, that's completely fine! You're here to get an education and connect with others that can potentially lead to job opportunities. Very few people 'truly enjoy' their course, and it's not unusual if you don't like it. It's work, it's not meant to be a day at the theme park. You do it because it'll give you skills that'll hopefully make you more useful to yourself and others. Work hard, keep at it, and in 2 years time on graduation day, you'll celebrate and be thankful that you didn't quit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending