The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

How do Top Up degrees work out final classification

Hello,

I am studying COMPUTING AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES (TOP-UP)
BSc (Hons) at Derby Uni Online Learning. I had a look at the website but can't find anything about how final classification works for top up degrees.

Is it 100% the final year (aka top up year at derby only)? Or do my grades from my Diploma of Higher Education matter? If so, how much weighting is that?

And what is the weighting for the top up degree, are all modules worth the same?

Thank you.
In my experience, the final degree classification of top up degrees is based 100% on the Level 6 top up year.
This is something that should be spelled out in induction week.

Module values vary. For example, final projects are usually 40 or 60 credits.
Your typical module is 20 credits.
You'll probably have a mix.
The regs usually dictate that you can't do more than 60 credits in a semester (to prevent overloading).

PS I've just had a look at the academic regs for Derby Uni and found the following, which I think confirms that your degree classification will be based on your L6 work alone.

Section F14.2
Determination of Honours classification following Direct Entry or entry with Advanced Standing

(i) If the mark average for the penultimate level cannot be calculated, e.g. because the student was a direct entry to the final stage or the student studied abroad for the whole of stage 2, the mark average for the final level will serve as the overall performance indicator.
(edited 1 year ago)
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Original post by Agerryon
Hello,

I am studying COMPUTING AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES (TOP-UP)
BSc (Hons) at Derby Uni Online Learning. I had a look at the website but can't find anything about how final classification works for top up degrees.

Is it 100% the final year (aka top up year at derby only)? Or do my grades from my Diploma of Higher Education matter? If so, how much weighting is that?

And what is the weighting for the top up degree, are all modules worth the same?

Thank you.

Hi @Agerryon
@cheadle is absolutely spot on. Thanks cheadle.
And you can see what each module is worth in terms of credits in the What you will study section of the course page.
Let me know if you need any more information.
All the best.
Toby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending