The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

ME Squat:

Squats:
Was doing my warm ups as usual, got to 130, was going to put my belt on, but decided not to and did five reps of 130 beltless, touch and go off of a parallel box to ensure I got depth (i.e. they weren't traditional paused box squats, as soon as I felt the box I drove up). This is a PB for me, and one that I thought I wasn't capable of since I've always had the idea that my abs are weak as ****. Wasn't that hard either. My previous best beltless squat was 130 x 1 and that was much harder. Happy with that. On Monday I'll use the belt and get a true 5RM hopefully.

Snatch grip deadlifts:
100 x 5

The lift wasn't the hardest part but gripping it was. Grip didn't feel too good that far out. Was hoping to get 10+ reps seeing as it wasn't a heavy weight but wasn't happening. Maybe I should've used straps. Also didn't feel right during the initial phase from the floor. Next time I'll do Romanian deadlifts.

Dorian rows:
60 x 8
60 x 8
60 x 8

I've stopped cheating on these now and use only back and biceps to lift the weight. That means the weight has gone down slightly but I'm better off in the long run.

Incline hammer curls for the gurls [45 degrees]
used 12.5's I think
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10

Easy enough.
What are you calling a close grip bench? If it's Westside you're emulating then it should only be a couple of fingers in from your standard raw grip. How far you took your grip in will go some way to explaining why the weights were lighter. I can bench pretty much the same "close grip" (not what a BB'er would call close grip) as I can competition grip.
My close grip = 12 inches apart. My regular grip = pinkies on rings. Never knew that about Westside, thanks! I'll put up some higher numbers on the CGBP now!
12" is way too close for someone of your size to still call it a bench press IMO. That must be closer than shoulder width even?
Yes, slightly. Anyway, from now on I'll use a wider grip and hopefully lift more.
Was tired and triceps still a bit sore from Monday so nothing too much tonight:

RE Chest/shoulders/triceps

Flat dumbbell hammer grip bench press:
used the 22.5's
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 8

Military press:
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5

I'm crap at military presses as you can tell. Was hoping to get 8+ reps with this but wasn't happening so I do more sets instead.

JM press:
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10
Reply 186
Whats the difference between hammer grip and normal grip? I've always done the normal grip on DB bench.

What muscles does hammer grip work? Can you lift the same amount of weight?
Think hammer curls. It's just a dumbbell bench press done with a hammer grip. I do them like that because it's easier to keep my elbows more tucked and because my Olympic dumbbell handles are too long for me to do full ROM normal grip benches. They work the same muscles and you use the same weight.
Not the best session, certainly not the time I prefer to lift at.

ME Squat:

Haven't deadlifted in ages (last proper deadlifts was when I was still using the SPBR and took place like back in March. Missed them since at one point they were my favourite exercise. Wanted to see where I was this evening so worked up to a 165 1RM. Pretty crappy, I've definitely lost some strength on these since before I was doing 155 for 2 sets of 5. Unlike my last 'ME' lifts which weren't true ME lifts at all since they were 3's and 5's (I'm mainly concentrating on 5's and the occasional triples seeing as I want to gain mass. I'll be shooting for 1RMs when I think I'm about to hit a milestone). Then did a back off set of 8 with 130. Hopefully progress will quickly pick back up to speed and I'll get 200 before October.

Chin ups:

No more pussyfooting around with these going to do them properly now so no more feet touching the floor at the end of each rep. Going to shoot for 25 reps per workout in however many sets it takes from now on. I got to 13 total, pure, clean reps but couldn't be bothered any more.

Dumbbell curls.
used the 12.5s
25 x 8
25 x 8
25 x 8
Pretty crappy session tonight.

ME bench:

CGBP:
Worked up to 70 x 4. One more rep than last time but still pretty crappy. Not that much closer than my normal grip either.

Sticking point (4" above chest):
60 x 5
60 x 5

Incline dumbbell bench press (hammer grip):
used the 22.5's
45 x 8
45 x 7
45 x 6

Worse than last time.
IMO you should stick at the close grips because thats not that bad and they helped me bench a lot, just saying

when i benched just 75kg with index fingers on the smooth bit of the bar that made my benches up to mid 80s piss easy
Yeah I've got another week of them until I rotate them for something different. Might go back to flat bench or do declines. I'll see.
ME Squat:

Parallel Box Squats:

Was aiming for 160 x 3. The low 100's felt really awkward on my back, but I persevered until I got to 130, realised my crappy shoes were still on and took them off, and the squats felt better and so, oddly enough, did the weight on my back. Then did 140 x 1, beltless, which is a PR for me. Was quite easy as well, but my aim was to get 160 x 3, so instead of doing what I did last time and doing 4 more to get a big, beltless PR, I racked it and did 150 x 1 with a belt. Not that hard. Then when 160 came I ****** it up. I lost concentration and thus ****** up my form, and thus ****** up the lift. Didn't sit back enough, wasn't tight enough, looked down a bit. Need to work on being able to concentrate with heavy (for me) weights on my back and then I'll be able to nail the weights as I am sure I had 160 in me for a few reps.

Romanian Deadlifts:
100 x 10

Not that hard. No chalk and grip was beginning to break on the last few reps but I got them.

Kroc Rows:
used a 30, all sets each arm
30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 10

Not that difficult, not sure why I stopped at 10 reps. Next time I'll go onto 20, and then move up a weight.

Dumbell curls:
2 sets.

I've got some new goals for the end of the summer as well. I've had to abandon my old goals since they were made in March, and the whole of April and most of May was a lay off for me, except a few bench sessions. My squats and deadlifts are behind what they were all the way back in March, sadly, and my bench hasn't improved that much. So I think it's appropriate that I set new goals.

By the end of summer and the start of uni (mid September);

Squat: 180
Bench: 100
Deadlift: 200

Might consider getting knee wraps soon, but if my torso can't support the weight I won't bother. I've heard of people who can just do 140 beltless and no wraps get 180 with a belt and wraps, so we'll see!
awesome stuff smack everything is looking swole
Thanks. Still disappointed about the box squats though.
RE Bench:

Flat barbell bench press:
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5

This is the heaviest 60 has felt, ever. Even back in my Starting Strength days, when I did 60 3x5 it felt much lighter. Dunno what was happening because I've done 80 x 2 and 60 x 13 before, and that was before I learned powerlifting bench technique so my back was flat and my elbows were flared. Was expecting two easy sets of 10, then maybe up to 15 on last set. Really disappointed in this...

Military press:
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 8

First three sets easy enough, wanted to see how much I could get on last set but NTF so I stopped at 8 since it was getting very challenging, but could have possibly got 10.

JM press:
22.5 x 10
22.5 x 10
22.5 x 10
22.5 x 12

Felt much easier than it did last time. 30 seconds rest between all sets. At 12 on last set lactic acid kicked in.

Disappointed in bench tonight, and nothing anyone can say will make me feel happy.
Our upper body lifts are like the same, but your squat is mega

How you do you weigh/height? Can't work out if you've got a lagging upper body or an epic lower body for your size lol
6'3.5" and 90kg last time I checked. Bench was crap last time, though, and that session isn't indicative of my bench strength (I can do 60 x 13 or 80 x 2). My military press has got a lot weaker but then it has no correlation with my bench so I'm just going to drop it.

I've definitely got a lagging upper body, but then I've got insanely long arms so I have very big ROM on pressing exercises. This translates into an advantage on the deadlift, but I'm currently weak right off the floor; I can always get it if I can lift it off the floor but otherwise I'll struggle.

Don't know why my squat is what it is because I honestly can't say I have any biomechanical advantages when it comes to the squat. Long legs with long thigh bones. The bit I struggle most with is maintaining tightness and just with having the damned weight across my traps.
your the same height as me so 90kg is lagging indeed =O i'm 107kg and thats not very great either. i understand your limb length causes issues and it really does suck but there are ways around it if you beef them up. i think my rom isn't silly anymore because i've put weight on so have a bigger chest, even though the weights are getting heavier benching is actually easier than 20 odd kg ago because i'm not as much of a stick. you did say you are trying to bulk anyway so you'll be ok lol.
I have abs showing slightly though. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest