The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

So had a sports massage today and back feeling a little better. Got a few more massages to get though. Also been working on my hips lately too and trying to correct my anterior pelvic tilt.

High bar squats:

90 x 5
100 x 3

**** these were hard. Haven't squatted in ages and feeling a bit sick too.

Did high bar squats because of the more upright torso hopefully placing less stress on the problematic areas of my back. Very little if any back discomfort doing these. Really hammered my hips though - I suppose my newly opened up hips hadn't been worked properly for a long, long time (maybe even years) so were really feeling it. Might do an LP with these starting at 100 and seeing how long I can last before my back says no.

Press:

60 x 3
65 x 3
70 x 1

Lost a fair bit of upper body strength as well it seems.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4

Stopped early because another guy was wanting the rack and I wanted to get some foam rolling and stretching in before the bus home.
you think you pelvic tilt is purely down to tightness? i find mines is more due to imbalances, i have pretty bad pelvic tilt but i found my hip flexors ain't even tight at all( maybe i'm not stretching them properly) atm i'm smashing hamstrings and core to see if that helps
It's likely down to a number of factors and imbalance is one of them. I know that my glutes and lower abs are weak so I'll be working on those.
are your glutes massive?

i find rdls are good and normal glute activation drills, with abs im just doing front squats and planks, need to start hitting planks hard( i hate them, so horrible)
I don't know how big my glutes are to be honest. I used to get comments about them being big when my APT was at its worst (I think I've corrected it a fair bit), but that's only because APT makes them look big, hence why "dat ass" is one of its symptoms.

Regardless of their size they definitely hurt at the moment, two days after squatting 100 x 3 lols.
I miss your little monthly summaries!
Original post by Becca
I miss your little monthly summaries!

Completely forgotten about them! Probably as I've had so little to write about. :frown:
Meh session tonight.

Squats:

worked up to 140

Back was tightening up, though, so stopped there, and form lacking.

I definitely think I'll have to revert to high bar for a while until, hopefully, the sports massages sort out my back. Also hips quite tight tonight because not been doing mobility for a few days so that didn't help either.

Bench press:

80 x 5
90 x 1

Probably had another rep or two in me on 90 but definitely couldn't have equally my previous PB of five.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/3

Shoulder feeling alright on these despite not doing any shoulder mobility for a while.
High bar squat:

100 x 5/5/5

Back felt tight on these but doable. Maybe if I do exercises that make my back feel tight but not excruciating pain it'll help overall. Form wise feet outwards too much and stance a bit too wide too.

Press:

50 x 5/5/5

Resetting on these, focusing on not hyperextending my back. Weight felt light which it should.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5/2

Finally three sets of five!

Mobility and home.
Okay session tonight.

High bar squats:

105 x 5/5/5

Harder than last time because I seem to have tightened up quite a bit. Not mobile enough to get into the correct positions to hit all of the lower body's musculature tonight. Ankles in particular were going way out, like past 45 degrees, at the bottom of the squats.

Bench press:

82.5 x 5/5/5

Okay.

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/4/4/4/1

Lats were really, really tight to begin with but loosened up.

Did some face pulls, mobility and home.
How do you setup for bench? I always found your bench:tongue:ress ratio odd.
I don't arch as much as I perhaps should but otherwise it's nothing out of the ordinary.
High bar squats:

110 x 5/5/5

Back still sore but this was manageable. Back doesn't get quite so sore when I make sure to keep my knees out and hold a deep breath.

Press:

55 x 5/5/5

Again not too hard with new technique of not hyper-extending back and keeping abs locked.

RDLs:

60 x 8/8/8

First time doing these in a while. Back was okay, let me do these.

Supersetted biceps curls (bar + 20 x 15/15/15) with mobility to finish.
high bar?
*To clarify - why are you doing high bar, I thought you were a low bar guy.
Because high bar doesn't irritate my back as much.
Meh session tonight. Tried to squat but back was having none of it. I'll try to high bar tomorrow.

Bench press:

80 x 5
90 x 1
80 x 5

Seem to have lost a lot of strength on this lately.

Incline dumbbell bench press:

26s x 7/6/5

Ditto.

Hammer Strength rowing machine:

30 each side for 3 x 10

Tried this because it's the only way I can work my lats. Chins only work my biceps, I can't even move myself an inch on pull ups, and can't row because of the state my back is in.

The machine itself was okay. Mainly biceps though.

Dips:

bodyweight x 8/6.5/2

Triceps were just full of lactic acid by the last set and could barely move myself.

Mobility and home.
Whats wrong with pull ups?

A decent lat isolation exercise is straight armed cable pull downs. If you can't imagine them, use a rigid attachment (Ie not ropes), set the height level with your shoulders, stand back so your arms are straight and then pull down. I've been getting really good lat pumps from it, if you did them heavy enough it'd probably be a good strength exercise. You probably don't want an isolation though :tongue:
Original post by Slick Fosbury
Whats wrong with pull ups?

A decent lat isolation exercise is straight armed cable pull downs. If you can't imagine them, use a rigid attachment (Ie not ropes), set the height level with your shoulders, stand back so your arms are straight and then pull down. I've been getting really good lat pumps from it, if you did them heavy enough it'd probably be a good strength exercise. You probably don't want an isolation though :tongue:

I can't do pull ups at all.

Thanks for the straight arm cable pull down suggestion. I'll try it next time I want some back work to see how it goes.

I do plenty of isolation. Well, curls anyway.
Quite a good session tonight. Actually forgot I'm having back problems for much of the session.

High bar squats:

115 x 5/5/5

Quite good.

Press:

59 x 5/5/5

Was only meant to do 57.5, couldn't find 1.25s, thought I took 1s, but only realised I took 2s once I loaded up 92 on power cleans next.

Power cleans:

worked up to 92 x 1

Missed it the first time but got it the second. Haven't done these in ages. Felt quite good.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4

Running short on time.

Mobility and home.

Quick Reply

Latest