The Student Room Group

How shall I email my teacher for a reference for University?

I should've done this WAY sooner, but I've been procrastinating it. I'm on my gap year and planning to go to University next year, but I have not even emailed my school about it. They have no idea I'm even going uni. I'm getting scared that it's way too late to contact them for a reference. My form tutor actually once emailed me about what I'm going to do after sixth form, but I completely FORGOT to answer.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give advice on how to email my head of year. I'm TERRIBLE at emailing. Also, I was not really his favourite student so I feel like I should be extra nice.

Additionally I'm really scared that they will recycle the same references they wrote for me last year. The problem is I performed WAY better than what they thought. I was getting D's and almost failing (literally getting threatened to be kicked out of the school) when they wrote the references, but I ended up with A*-A's and studied very hard leading up to the exams.

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated.
Email them, say something along the lines of the fact that since you got better than you wanted you've decided apply for the following year. Ideally you ask your favourite teacher to write you a reference, that way you know it won't be the generic stuff
Original post by iWillMakeIt2022
Email them, say something along the lines of the fact that since you got better than you wanted you've decided apply for the following year. Ideally you ask your favourite teacher to write you a reference, that way you know it won't be the generic stuff

I've been wanting to ask my favourite teacher, actually all my other teachers left except him lol. But on UCAS it asks for the school buzz word for a reference, is it appropriate to ask my Maths teacher for the buzz word? Or would I need to contact the head of year? I have no idea.
Original post by stressingrn
I've been wanting to ask my favourite teacher, actually all my other teachers left except him lol. But on UCAS it asks for the school buzz word for a reference, is it appropriate to ask my Maths teacher for the buzz word? Or would I need to contact the head of year? I have no idea.

Sorry for the late reply. In short your teacher will ask permission which will usually be granted and he'll take it from there.
You can ask the school or your teacher. The teacher will still need to ask the school for permission since you only left a year ago and I think they have specific process for references from schools (not sure)

Saying that, because you left only a year ago if the school wrote a reference for you they probs still have that on record and might say your teacher has to use that one.

But if you think it’s not a fair rep then go to your form tutor and just reply back saying “sorry, it’s taken a while to get back to you. How you doing ? I hope you don’t mind..I’m planning to go to uni this year and will need a reference. I really want t go (this place/study this) for xyz reasons and was hoping if you could write me a reference…I’d really appreciate it…” or along those lines
Original post by souljav
You can ask the school or your teacher. The teacher will still need to ask the school for permission since you only left a year ago and I think they have specific process for references from schools (not sure)

Saying that, because you left only a year ago if the school wrote a reference for you they probs still have that on record and might say your teacher has to use that one.

But if you think it’s not a fair rep then go to your form tutor and just reply back saying “sorry, it’s taken a while to get back to you. How you doing ? I hope you don’t mind..I’m planning to go to uni this year and will need a reference. I really want t go (this place/study this) for xyz reasons and was hoping if you could write me a reference…I’d really appreciate it…” or along those lines

I left my school only a few months ago, I’m on my gap year rn. I can’t really reply back since they deleted our school emails. Also there’s no way I’m asking my form tutor because I never went to form, the only reason he emailed me is cause’ he never saw me in school.

I should probably email my Maths tutor but I’m still procrastinating it as we speak😩 The whole UCAS application is confusing me. Idk wether to ask for the buzz word or apply as an individual and ask my teacher for a reference. But if I apply as an individual I need to get my teachers phone number and address which is a bit weird.
Reply 6
Hi i’ve just got my results and also taking a gap year just wondering what did you end up doing cause I’m also confused about applying as an individual but needing a reference, thanks:smile:
Hi just wondering how did you ask your teacher for a reference? Did your teacher had to ask the school for permission, or is just emailing him and him agreeing to do a reference good enough? Thank you so much for any replies in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending