The Student Room Group

No benefits and UC for self funded student?

Hi I need to self fund my year 1 of my degree and want to apply for benefits. I can’t apply for universal credit becuase I’m a student but I won’t be getting any form of student loan at all. my rent will be really high as I’m going to be living in London and at the same time I need to pay for myself and my course. What help can I get? :frown:
Original post by bobby1066
Hi I need to self fund my year 1 of my degree and want to apply for benefits. I can’t apply for universal credit becuase I’m a student but I won’t be getting any form of student loan at all. my rent will be really high as I’m going to be living in London and at the same time I need to pay for myself and my course. What help can I get? :frown:

Can’t you get a job? Without trying to sound rude, you having to self-fund the first year of your degree really isn’t the benefits system’s or DWP’s issue.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mintkoala
Can’t you get a job? Without trying to sound rude, you having to self-fund the first year of your degree really isn’t the benefits system’s or DWP’s issue.

I am going to be working, it’s a temporary contract so god forbid but I might be unemployed while searching for another job after the temporary job ends. Did I, at any point, say it was anyone’s issue? Im asking in case there’s any financial help I can get that I don’t know of. Next time ask before judging so quickly lmfao
Original post by bobby1066
I am going to be working, it’s a temporary contract so god forbid but I might be unemployed while searching for another job after the temporary job ends. Did I, at any point, say it was anyone’s issue? Im asking in case there’s any financial help I can get that I don’t know of. Next time ask before judging so quickly lmfao

You didn’t say that you would be working in your first post. You should talk to Citizens Advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending