The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XVII

Scroll to see replies

1-0 Martinelli
NUNEZ!!!!!
In.
2-1 Saka
Reply 44
Good to see Salah continuing to be worth every penny of that £350k a week we spunked on him.
Penalty to Arsenal
3-2 Saka
Original post by Mess.
Good to see Salah continuing to be worth every penny of that £350k a week we spunked on him.

I wonder when is the right time to call it a crisis or blame Alexander-Arnold
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Wired_1800
I wonder when is the right time to call if a crisis or blame Alexander-Arnold

The real issue for me is when Klopp can start to be criticised by the Liverpool media.

He is obviously an incredible manager but the covid/defender season was a nightmare tactically and through Klopp choices.

This season feels led by Klopp making a tactical decision, which has upset the entire balance of the team.
Original post by Mess.
The real issue for me is when Klopp can start to be criticised by the Liverpool media.

He is obviously an incredible manager but the covid/defender season was a nightmare tactically and through Klopp choices.

This season feels led by Klopp making a tactical decision, which has upset the entire balance of the team.

Mane’s departure has probably impacted the team. I hope Klopp can save it
Reply 50
10 points off 3rd and 6 points of 4th, has to be a lot of concern now.

Would potentially argue that Klopp has been screwed over a little bit in the recruitment in the midfield but tbh I have little sympathy, as he has continued to back absolute dross/injured nonsense like Chamberlain, Keita and Jones.

They have all needed bombing for 3 years minimum, with Milner needing to be gone summer just gone.

The team has grown old and Klopp has tried to change tactics, without the middle-career footballers who have enough experience and legs to implement.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Wired_1800
Mane’s departure has probably impacted the team. I hope Klopp can save it

I’d disagree personally. Mane was close to crap for 18 months, with the majority of fans moaning about him. He then had a 4 month renaissance playing centre forward and the previous 18 months was forgotten about.

It’s similar(ish) to the Alonso situation. There is so much criticism of Benitez for selling Alonso but again people forget that the season before he was absolutely terrible and at the end of that season, Liverpool tried to sell him and nobody would pay £14m for him.

In a spectacular feat of man management, Benitez then for the season of Alonso’s career out of him and teams were killing themselves to buy him.

I’d argue the Mane situation is closer to that but for a player towards the end of his career.
Original post by Mess.
I’d disagree personally. Mane was close to crap for 18 months, with the majority of fans moaning about him. He then had a 4 month renaissance playing centre forward and the previous 18 months was forgotten about.

It’s similar(ish) to the Alonso situation. There is so much criticism of Benitez for selling Alonso but again people forget that the season before he was absolutely terrible and at the end of that season, Liverpool tried to sell him and nobody would pay £14m for him.

In a spectacular feat of man management, Benitez then for the season of Alonso’s career out of him and teams were killing themselves to buy him.

I’d argue the Mane situation is closer to that but for a player towards the end of his career.

Those are fair points. Mane’s impact was probably felt in the dressing room as well. Fans would only see what’s on the pitch and draw their conclusion(s).
Luis Diaz leaves Emirates on crutches.
Original post by Mess.

He'll get until Xmas/New Year I think? When it becomes more obvious that top 4 is unlikely, then the Liverpool media will really go for him.
Original post by mr tim
Luis Diaz leaves Emirates on crutches.

Probably been our best player for the last 10 months. Huge blow.
Not even a quarter of the season in and we've almost conceded half as many goals as we did all of last season in the league.
Reply 57
Original post by Zerforax
Probably been our best player for the last 10 months. Huge blow.

Looks like I gotta put Jota in my team now. I don't know what it is but Jota looks ineffective compared to Diaz and Mane before hand on the left. Less explosiveness.

I don't get why people are saying the issue is mane leaving either, you guys literally have no issues offensively. It's defensively that's the issue.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mess.

Completely agree, it's a lazy persons view to blame Mane leaving as he was poor for 3/4 of the past 2 seasons. The BBC comment page during the game is so dead with everyone blaming the wrong things. Apparently Arsenal are the real deal for beating this side too - again they're not. They're bang in form and doing very well but beating this Liverpool side hasn't been particularly difficult this season - even United managed it ffs.

Until the world cup will be a difficult path and has always felt like this since the start of the season. Losing at the emirates wasn't unlikely as both teams are confidence wise in different places and it's still always never that easy to win there.

And going after Klopp solves nothing, even if he fails hard this season. He's the right man long term as he has shown before and getting rid would be a disaster
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Gob Bluth
Completely agree, it's a lazy persons view to blame Mane leaving as he was poor for 3/4 of the past 2 seasons. The BBC comment page during the game is so dead with everyone blaming the wrong things. Apparently Arsenal are the real deal for beating this side too - again they're not. They're bang in form and doing very well but beating this Liverpool side hasn't been particularly difficult this season - even United managed it ffs.

Until the world cup will be a difficult path and has always felt like this since the start of the season. Losing at the emirates wasn't unlikely as both teams are confidence wise in different places and it's still always never that easy to win there.

And going after Klopp solves nothing, even if he fails hard this season. He's the right man long term as he has shown before and getting rid would be a disaster

The Arsenal set up is perfectly geared to hitting Liverpool in the space behind the full backs, that our midfielders cannot cover anymore as well. It’s mainly surprising that Arsenal made such a hash of actually winning comfortably that was more surprising.

On the Klopp point, I don’t think there is any need to try and destroy him but within fan media/media in general there should be a wider discussion about choices that he is making and has made.

It’s not that I particularly want him to be criticised, just that he isn’t held up as some sort of perfect saint, especially within TAW.

My one main criticism is allowing the midfield to grow old and injury prone. Chamberlain should have been sold at the end of 19/20, Keita the same.

Jones I just want gone so I don’t have to listen to people talking about his ceiling or any other ********, as he just isn’t very good.

Milner should have left the summer gone or the one before, with Henderson replacing the bit part role.

I appreciate that people love Milner because of what he brings off the field etc. but his salary is pretty high and we operate within a book balancing operation, so it’s blocking a salary we could use on someone else.

We have spent a long time destroying the legs of ageing midfielders, with only Chamberlain and Keita, both of who cannot get on the field, as the only mid-career midfielders. This to me is on Klopp, rather than FSG.

A comment I hear on TAW quite often is about Klopp being ruthless with his players and using the likes of Sakho and Can as examples. I think the subtle point that is missed when this is stated, is that Klopp was ruthless with players who he didn’t buy. Anyone that he has bought he is the opposite of ruthless, which is to the detriment of the team with squad players.

One final point is the substitutes last night were wild. We were chasing a game and ended up at various points with

- Henderson playing right midfield after an entire match running around in centre mid. Legs had gone.
- a slow Firmino playing right wing.
- a slow Elliot playing right wing.

It is like every sub was to make us more solid, defensive and able to hold on to a lead but we were losing. Was very odd.

Quick Reply

Latest