The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XVII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The subs were awful but Klopp clearly set up to attack arsenal. He needed fresh legs but the subs he had weren't attacking players. So either he just keeps the players he had on or he gets some fresh legs and tries to keep it solid.

Sick of injury prone midfielders, then to add to this Klopp loans another one for the banter. If they're Thiago level then worth the risk to keep them if cheap but for Keita and Chamberlain lmao. Why are they still here?

Jones is never fit and Elliot+Carvalho are taking his place as young midfielder with potential so yeah makes sense to bomb him.

I think if you bought a couple midfielders you would be in the title race and it's unravelling just like you guys said it would when he didn't buy a midfielder. So it is what it is
Reply 61
Also thoughts on the Henderson incident?
Reply 62
Original post by bj27
Also thoughts on the Henderson incident?

I don’t really get what the big incident was? It just looked like pushing and shoving :dontknow:

Have I missed something?
No surgery for Diaz, but will be out until after the world cup.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Completely agree, it's a lazy persons view to blame Mane leaving as he was poor for 3/4 of the past 2 seasons. The BBC comment page during the game is so dead with everyone blaming the wrong things. Apparently Arsenal are the real deal for beating this side too - again they're not. They're bang in form and doing very well but beating this Liverpool side hasn't been particularly difficult this season - even United managed it ffs.

Until the world cup will be a difficult path and has always felt like this since the start of the season. Losing at the emirates wasn't unlikely as both teams are confidence wise in different places and it's still always never that easy to win there.

And going after Klopp solves nothing, even if he fails hard this season. He's the right man long term as he has shown before and getting rid would be a disaster

Re the last point, I saw lazy journalists saying Klopp has quit after 7 seasons at Mainz and Dortmund. Again lazy comments as if the same would apply now.

He gave an explanation why it was different at those clubs but obviously it doesn't make for a good/easy headline :rolleyes:

- Mainz : got promoted and then eventually got relegated after 6th season. Made one attempt to get promoted again and then failed. So decided on both sides time to try and new approach
- Dortmund : basically said it's hard to maintain when your best players are constantly taken from you. Can't forget how many went to Bayern and Lewa for example left on a free so he wasn't even getting big money sales to re-invest (like Dortmund have last few years).
Original post by Mess.
I don’t really get what the big incident was? It just looked like pushing and shoving :dontknow:

Have I missed something?

Some saying he said something racist or whatever based on Gabriel's reaction.

Probably called him a p****y to be honest.
You know you're in trouble when you have as many points as Everton..
Reply 67
Original post by Zerforax

I felt the reaction seemed pretty bad from people but at the end of the game Gabriel seemed fine with Henderson. Also if what was said was that bad Klopp should have taken him off there and then.

Anyway Liverpool looking awful, think Salah is gonna start firing soon but not looking good Vs Man City.

At most you guys can aim for 4th.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bj27
I felt the reaction seemed pretty bad from people but at the end of the game Gabriel seemed fine with Henderson. Also if what was said was that bad Klopp should have taken him off there and then.

Anyway Liverpool looking awful, think Salah is gonna start firing soon but not looking good Vs Man City.

If it was someone like Nunez (young, new to the league, South American etc), I could have believed something wrong was said.

Jordan Henderson though? Such an experienced player, LFC captain, does loads to support causes (including for black history month at the moment), just a genuinely sound guy all around. I don't believe it. Let's be honest, he's no John Terry.
Original post by bj27

Yea just weird how far we've fallen after last season. Nothing seems to be working properly at the moment.

Even 4th is looking ambitious at the moment! Might be finishing 7th..
Reply 70
Yea just weird how far we've fallen after last season. Nothing seems to be working properly at the moment.

Even 4th is looking ambitious at the moment! Might be finishing 7th..

Not surprised to be honest. I feel like you guys have neglected midfield for way too long and having work hard midfielders who have zero technical ability can only do so much. You guys have Jota/Firmino/Diaz/Salah who bail you out(and I guess Nunez when he starts firing properly) but you don't control games.

I can't imagine Liverpool out of CL though. I reckon you'll be fighting for 2nd-4th with Spurs, us, United and Arsenal.

I felt there were issues when you struggled vs Fulham start of the season in midfield. I hear you guys are going big for a midfielder in 2023, I assume that means Bellingham.
(edited 1 year ago)

Ah really ? I haven’t seen the incident but it’s rich of Arsenal fans to accuse Henderson of being racist when they have an alleged rapist in Thomas Partey whose bail was extended last week playing for them.
Original post by bj27
Not surprised to be honest. I feel like you guys have neglected midfield for way too long and having work hard midfielders who have zero technical ability can only do so much. You guys have Jota/Firmino/Diaz/Salah who bail you out(and I guess Nunez when he starts firing properly) but you don't control games.

I can't imagine Liverpool out of CL though. I reckon you'll be fighting for 2nd-4th with Spurs, us, United and Arsenal.

I felt there were issues when you struggled vs Fulham start of the season in midfield. I hear you guys are going big for a midfielder in 2023, I assume that means Bellingham.

I mean have you ever seen Thiago Alcântara play football? Obviously his injury record hasn't helped but he's one of the most technical players in the league. Usually then you have TAA doing his magic from a quasi-rightback role.

We haven't been controlling games this season as we've been all over the place (across the pitch) but last season it was all about control and breaking down teams.

We're already so far behind. Man City will walk the title. You have those 4 teams + Liverpool + Newcastle competing for 3 spots. It's going to be tough.

We've been linked to Bellingham for a long time but as his reputation continues to climb, more clubs will come in. Why wouldn't Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd and Real Madrid all throw big money at Bellingham? At some point we probably will get priced out.

If Man Utd are willing to give Sancho 350k a week, then they will be willing to do the same for Bellingham.
Man City bought Manuel Akanji after asking Haaland. You think he won't be raving about Bellingham?
Todd Boehly desperate to make a splash at Chelsea so he will go big too especially if Bellingham has a good World Cup.
Real Madrid could have their midfield boxed for the next 15 years if they add Bellingham to Tchouaméni and Camavinga.

Original post by Driving_Mad
Ah really ? I haven’t seen the incident but it’s rich of Arsenal fans to accuse Henderson of being racist when they have an alleged rapist in Thomas Partey whose bail was extended last week playing for them.

:rofl:
Reply 73
I mean have you ever seen Thiago Alcântara play football? Obviously his injury record hasn't helped but he's one of the most technical players in the league. Usually then you have TAA doing his magic from a quasi-rightback role.

We haven't been controlling games this season as we've been all over the place (across the pitch) but last season it was all about control and breaking down teams.

We're already so far behind. Man City will walk the title. You have those 4 teams + Liverpool + Newcastle competing for 3 spots. It's going to be tough.

We've been linked to Bellingham for a long time but as his reputation continues to climb, more clubs will come in. Why wouldn't Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd and Real Madrid all throw big money at Bellingham? At some point we probably will get priced out.

If Man Utd are willing to give Sancho 350k a week, then they will be willing to do the same for Bellingham.
Man City bought Manuel Akanji after asking Haaland. You think he won't be raving about Bellingham?
Todd Boehly desperate to make a splash at Chelsea so he will go big too especially if Bellingham has a good World Cup.
Real Madrid could have their midfield boxed for the next 15 years if they add Bellingham to Tchouaméni and Camavinga.

:rofl:

I've watched him play football. Thiago is injury prone so it's a bit like us saying Kante solves most of our problems in midfield which he does when fit. Doesn't matter if he's not on the pitch, which was what accentuated your decline this season(like with Kante being injured for 2 months)

Also with the control point, I've said already that you're way too reliant on TAA, he is that good but you can't be winning titles regularly with that level of reliability on one player. Just takes a dip in form or an injury and you're ****ed. City can win the title without Haaland, if they put Alvarez or kept Jesus/Sterling they'd still win.

Yeah Newcastle are very much a dark horse this season, very much see them getting Europa, if they get signings in Jan potentially a CL spot.

Don't see Real buying Bellingham, more than likely I see them moving Valverde back into midfield. Think he's Chelsea or Liverpool bound, potentially City bound if Silva finally gets his move to Barcelona or Gundogan leaves.

Btw I don't think this is the end of the road for Liverpool, you had this same season in 20/21, it's probably just hard to maintain those levels without refreshing the squad properly. Carvalho and Elliot are great prospects but should not be playing the amount of games they currently do, not out of necessity anyway.
Original post by bj27
I've watched him play football. Thiago is injury prone so it's a bit like us saying Kante solves most of our problems in midfield which he does when fit. Doesn't matter if he's not on the pitch, which was what accentuated your decline this season(like with Kante being injured for 2 months)

Also with the control point, I've said already that you're way too reliant on TAA, he is that good but you can't be winning titles regularly with that level of reliability on one player. Just takes a dip in form or an injury and you're ****ed. City can win the title without Haaland, if they put Alvarez or kept Jesus/Sterling they'd still win.

Yeah Newcastle are very much a dark horse this season, very much see them getting Europa, if they get signings in Jan potentially a CL spot.

Don't see Real buying Bellingham, more than likely I see them moving Valverde back into midfield. Think he's Chelsea or Liverpool bound, potentially City bound if Silva finally gets his move to Barcelona or Gundogan leaves.

Btw I don't think this is the end of the road for Liverpool, you had this same season in 20/21, it's probably just hard to maintain those levels without refreshing the squad properly. Carvalho and Elliot are great prospects but should not be playing the amount of games they currently do, not out of necessity anyway.

Thiago played in 39 of 63 games last season. Still a high number even if not always available.

Last season we had match winners all over the pitch. I'm not sure if its that teams have worked us out a bit or that we can't press as effectively, or new players not plugged in as well or too many key players are having a dip in performance all at the same time - maybe its a bit of everything. But it's not like TAA was the only creative player last season.

RB and midfield are the positions where we dont have depth but otherwise at CB, LB, forward positions, we're fine. Don't have billionaire state owner and cheating the books to be able to fund world class players in 22 positions.

I imagine we didn't invest as much last summer because last season was so good. Masks over the problems. Probably overachieved last season and now dipped the other side of that so it looks so much more exposed.
Alisson, Gomez, Konate, Van Dijk, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Henderson, Elliott, Firmino, Carvalho, Nunez

Subs: Adrian, Kelleher, Thiago, Milner, Salah, Jota, Robertson, Bajcetic, Phillips.
1-0 Arfield.
FIRMINO!!!!
Reply 78
Henderson and Konate looked to be massively at fault for Rangers goal.
Reply 79
Why is Firmino our best player now that we’re shite.

Quick Reply

Latest