The Student Room Group

PwC Flying Start Degree: Technology. Applying to multiple unis with this course.

I'm looking at submitting my UCAS application very soon... I want to study Computer Science and two of my slots is a Computer Science degree apprenticeships/sponsored degree with PwC - one at Birmingham and one at Leeds. However, I've suddenly considered that my assumption may be wrong - my assumption being that applying to both Flying Start Computer Science courses at separate universities will increase my chances of being accepted by PwC. If this isn't the case, I will only apply to one, as the other slot could go towards a standard CS degree at a more prestigious university.

The reason I am posting here is because I couldn't find any information about whether PwC can accept you at one university and not the other, or whether they accept all your applications or reject all your applications.

I know this is a very niche question, but any feedback is appreciated during my last minute UCAS alterations! Thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

there is no guarantee that PwC will accept you on their programme so apply to both Birmingham and Leeds for CS but be prepared to study there if PwC reject you. You can apply to both unis on the scheme I am sure and PwC will consider you for both.
Original post by mike23mike
there is no guarantee that PwC will accept you on their programme so apply to both Birmingham and Leeds for CS but be prepared to study there if PwC reject you. You can apply to both unis on the scheme I am sure and PwC will consider you for both.

Do you think applying to both will increase my chances of being accpeted by PwC?
I'm currently doing the PwC tech degree at Leeds

When I applied through UCAS I applied to all 3 of the PwC tech degrees and ended up being accepted by 2 allowing me to choose which I wished to attend. This leaves me to believe that all 3 will acknowledge your application independently and you may be accepted by one and not another.

That being said, it was a single application process to all 3 so if you balls it up it would be to the detriment of all 3 simultaneously so I would only apply to multiple if you are happy attending the course and uni even without the perks of the PwC programme.
Hi, I'm also sending of my ucas application soon with both Birmingham and Leeds CS degree apprenticeship as two of my choices and was wondering if you had any advice for pwc assessment process and if there's anything you would recommend me do from now to better my chances.Thank you
Original post by Jacksery

When I applied through UCAS I applied to all 3 of the PwC tech degrees and ended up being accepted by 2 allowing me to choose which I wished to attend. This leaves me to believe that all 3 will acknowledge your application independently and you may be accepted by one and not another.

That being said, it was a single application process to all 3 so if you balls it up it would be to the detriment of all 3 simultaneously so I would only apply to multiple if you are happy attending the course and uni even without the perks of the PwC programme.

Thank you. I have applied for PwC CS degree at both Birmingham and Leeds.

Hi, I am also applying for PWC Leeds and am very excited/ nervous about it and not sure if I will be considered..
How are you finding the course? Is first year just university lectures or do you get field experience too.
Thanks
Sorry guys I don't check these forums all too often but I'll try answer a few of these questions as best I can.

Original post by sashae_21
Hi, I'm also sending of my ucas application soon with both Birmingham and Leeds CS degree apprenticeship as two of my choices and was wondering if you had any advice for pwc assessment process and if there's anything you would recommend me do from now to better my chances.Thank you

Not sure if they would've change the process at all from last year but there was a games section which I would say you cannot prepare for as its mainly to observe how you react to problems, not just how good/bad you do. This was followed by a virtual interview which all I can say is look up generic interview questions and try and plan some points to say. Try to avoid sounding like you're reading off a script, I'm sure they appreciate you just being yourself and I even messed up a few times, apologised and carried on. After this was a group activity where the best thing you can do is simply be yourself. I'd imagine here they're looking for how you work in a team and how well you listen to others while also contributing (without talking over others of course). Sorry if everything I've said is a bit vague but for obvious reasons I don't think I can give many specifics and for all I know the process is completely different now.

Original post by Bumblebee2021
Hi, I am also applying for PWC Leeds and am very excited/ nervous about it and not sure if I will be considered..
How are you finding the course? Is first year just university lectures or do you get field experience too.
Thanks

First year is exactly the same as anyone studying ordinary compsci (most of my friends so far are just people doing the standard course). Only difference so far is the odd meeting with PwC and having to track hours of work done outside of lectures. You also get a choice of 2 discovery modules which normally can be from any course but PwC requires it to be business oriented. In the summer there's a placement so you'll have less holiday than most people and I haven't done it yet but I'd imagine it's a very valuable experience. You still get normal uni holiday otherwise and a few weeks off at the start and end of summer too I believe. Second year I believe to be largely the same and third is like a normal year in industry except obviously with PwC rather than finding your own placement. 4th year everyone does a project and difference for us is we need to present it to PwC rather than just the uni.
Sorry guys I don't check these forums all too often but I'll try answer a few of these questions as best I can.

Not sure if they would've change the process at all from last year but there was a games section which I would say you cannot prepare for as its mainly to observe how you react to problems, not just how good/bad you do. This was followed by a virtual interview which all I can say is look up generic interview questions and try and plan some points to say. Try to avoid sounding like you're reading off a script, I'm sure they appreciate you just being yourself and I even messed up a few times, apologised and carried on. After this was a group activity where the best thing you can do is simply be yourself. I'd imagine here they're looking for how you work in a team and how well you listen to others while also contributing (without talking over others of course). Sorry if everything I've said is a bit vague but for obvious reasons I don't think I can give many specifics and for all I know the process is completely different now.

First year is exactly the same as anyone studying ordinary compsci (most of my friends so far are just people doing the standard course). Only difference so far is the odd meeting with PwC and having to track hours of work done outside of lectures. You also get a choice of 2 discovery modules which normally can be from any course but PwC requires it to be business oriented. In the summer there's a placement so you'll have less holiday than most people and I haven't done it yet but I'd imagine it's a very valuable experience. You still get normal uni holiday otherwise and a few weeks off at the start and end of summer too I believe. Second year I believe to be largely the same and third is like a normal year in industry except obviously with PwC rather than finding your own placement. 4th year everyone does a project and difference for us is we need to present it to PwC rather than just the uni.

Thank you!
Thank you so much, this is very useful information!

Hi I’m thinking of applying to the degree apprenticeship too but I’m not sure how I should be doing my personal statement. Should I be mentioning the company and aspects of the apprenticeship that appeal to me or just about the degree itself?
When I emailed Leeds they told me that if you are rejected from PwC, you won’t receive an offer for regular computer science G400. They said you would need to apply for that course in addition to the degree apprenticeship.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by S_fundz
When I emailed Leeds they told me that if you are rejected from PwC, you won’t receive an offer for regular computer science G400. They said you would need to apply for that course in addition to the degree apprenticeship.

QUB say you will automatically be considered for one of the other courses offered by the School (Software Engineering, Computer Science and Computing & Information Technology).
Has anyone had their gaming assessment and /or virtual interviews yet? Good luck
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hythluck
QUB say you will automatically be considered for one of the other courses offered by the School (Software Engineering, Computer Science and Computing & Information Technology).

Yh I applied QuB and I was invited to do the online assessment
I’ve completed the game based assessment and have been invited to the interview now but I don’t know how to prepare for it.
Reply 16
Original post by Unseriousstudent
I’ve completed the game based assessment and have been invited to the interview now but I don’t know how to prepare for it.

How long did you have to wait before getting an invite to the interview?
Original post by N404
How long did you have to wait before getting an invite to the interview

Mine took about 3/4 days to come through. I imagine this differs so do not panic if it hasn't been received by then.
Reply 18
Ah ok, I did mine Friday and received the invite Monday. Hope it goes well!
Has anyone been invited to the in person assessment after the video interview yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending