The Student Room Group

Is Politics a usless degree

Trynna figure out if it's a waste of 3 years and hefty student loans
depends on your career aspirations ig. If you want to go into politics as your career then i think PPE is better - though im not sure 100%. Otherwise it's like most humanities/arts degrees..transferable skills will allow you to get a job in any job that doesn't specify a specific degree criteria. Which includes: marketing, advertising, law, accounting (i think), journalism (eg. political journalism), teacher (ofc), researcher (ngos), HR ...

Obviously you're options will differ from other subjects, say economics or pharamcy, and you'll need to think about the potential careers you ahve in mind and what degree would limit you from pursuing them.

To enhance your opportunities: you could combine Politics with economics, history, business idk. BUT it all depends on what you actually enjoy and what you might want to do after

whats your a levels - might help see what you're interested and good at :smile:
As the poster above, I agree it would be great for obtaining transferable skills that will help you in any future employment and will definitely open up opportunities within the political sector and many others. If there is something else you are also interested in combining both would be a great idea.

Also, if you plan to volunteer whilst at university or get work experience related to politics, both would help build your CV for this field and strengthen any job applications after uni :smile:
Well I'm currently doing Politics & History at KCL and so far I've mainly been studying macroeconomics, HM Treasury and the Bank of England since 1945, so no one's gonna convince me that what I'm studying is a mickey mouse degree. However, I do know some people studying Politics-related degrees at other Unis and from what they've described, it sounds almost nothing like what I'm doing. I guess it depends on what Uni you go to, some Unis that offer Politics will teach you valuable topics like economics, history and law while others will teach you less valuable topics like sociology and philosophy.
All degrees are useless aside from ones that lead to a specific job
Remember, no degree is useless in its entirety, but there are different trends ... plan like political sciences or going into a law school.
It depends on the person some people are more employable than others. It does not matter what degree or were you study.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by looloo2134
It depends on the person some people are more employable than others. It does not matter what degree or were you study.

You go apply to be a lawyer with a degree in film studies, tell me how it goes..
Original post by Napp
You go apply to be a lawyer with a degree in film studies, tell me how it goes..

Since 50% of solicitors were found by the SRA to have studied a non-law degree before becoming solicitors (and this was before the SQE), I imagine there are quite a few lawyers with film studies degrees out there.
Original post by artful_lounger
Since 50% of solicitors were found by the SRA to have studied a non-law degree before becoming solicitors (and this was before the SQE), I imagine there are quite a few lawyers with film studies degrees out there.

Also, not many people know that you do not have to go to university route to become a solicitor. You can also leave school at sixteen with a couple of low-grade GCSEs and do a law apprenticeship to become a solicitor.
It just being snobby to look down at people who studied film or did not go to good university.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger

Given they then need to sit a law qualification on top of whatever they started with...
Reply 11
I personally think it's a great degree as it's so interesting. As above, unless you want to enter politics, I imagine that it has more value for its 'transferable skills' and just as a degree. However, as I am the type who would only want to do a degree that I found very interesting and there are very few subjects I find interesting (to study for three years), my opinion is not that helpful on this. Plus I just saw that the thread is two months old. 🙂
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending