The Student Room Group

Being very behind in stem smart

I'm very behind in this Cambridge programme called STEM Smart where the uni basically sets you work to do every week. A lot was happening this year, I got kicked out and was sleeping on a couch for literally half of it. Couldn't do much. Now I'm back with my mum and seeing all the workload I really just want to quit it but at the same time feel like it woudl be a missed opportunity if I do. Your thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by chengo_08
I'm very behind in this Cambridge programme called STEM Smart where the uni basically sets you work to do every week. A lot was happening this year, I got kicked out and was sleeping on a couch for literally half of it. Couldn't do much. Now I'm back with my mum and seeing all the workload I really just want to quit it but at the same time feel like it woudl be a missed opportunity if I do. Your thoughts?

I am sorry to hear you have had a bad time. I think the old premise "How do you eat and elephant" is required here. One bite at a time. Why not set aside two hours per day 5-7pm, 6-8pm? Start at the beginning and just knuckle down. I bet you find two hours a day to flick aimlessly through Tik Tok? Well, make that time pay. You can do it if you put your mind to it. Oh and tell your tutors what is happening.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
I am sorry to hear you have had a bad time. I think the old premise "How do you eat and elephant" is required here. One bite at a time. Why not set aside two hours per day 5-7pm, 6-8pm? Start at the beginning and just knuckle down. I bet you find two hours a day to flick aimlessly through Tik Tok? Well, make that time pay. You can do it if you put your mind to it. Oh and tell your tutors what is happening.

100%. I really pray they don't kick me off because so much of that potential knowledge would be gone to waste. I'm planning on embddding the relevant tasks with usual revision, but I'm not sure what to do about the tests. I tried a few but got ones and 0s in them :/
Reply 3
100%. I really pray they don't kick me off because so much of that potential knowledge would be gone to waste. I'm planning on embddding the relevant tasks with usual revision, but I'm not sure what to do about the tests. I tried a few but got ones and 0s in them :/

Ok. There are a few things.
The most important is you need to talk to your tutor about the situation you are in and agree a plan to get out of it. That may well hold off being thrown off the course.

As for the tests - there is no miracle cure to doing well in tests over simply putting in the hard work. However in terms of the work you need to do, don't skim over all the material hoping you might pull a few marks here and there. Start at the beginning and do your work in depth. It will take a long time to cover all the material, but that is ok. As long as you are doing a good chunk every day you will get there in the end.

Finally, when you are starting to get the material, go back to the tests and practice certain questions. Check your answers against the mark scheme and restudy areas where you got things wrong. And repeat.

Good luck but go see you tutor asap!
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
Ok. There are a few things.
The most important is you need to talk to your tutor about the situation you are in and agree a plan to get out of it. That may well hold off being thrown off the course.

As for the tests - there is no miracle cure to doing well in tests over simply putting in the hard work. However in terms of the work you need to do, don't skim over all the material hoping you might pull a few marks here and there. Start at the beginning and do your work in depth. It will take a long time to cover all the material, but that is ok. As long as you are doing a good chunk every day you will get there in the end.

Finally, when you are starting to get the material, go back to the tests and practice certain questions. Check your answers against the mark scheme and restudy areas where you got things wrong. And repeat.

Good luck but go see you tutor asap!

Thank you so much :smile: I sent an email last night, I'm just waiting for the reply. Hopefully, since theres deadlines to the tests, I can ask them to reset them for me.

I think having significant issues in your home life and sleeping rough for an extended period is a legitimate extenuating circumstance in any event. You should make sure at least your school is aware so they can try and support you in your formal academic study. If you have a contact for this Cambridge programme it may be worth reaching out to them and just making them aware you've had some challenges in your life recently (you don't necessarily need to go into detail if not comfortable) and want to continue with the programme but are struggling with the workload from catching up in that period, and ask if they have any advice?
Reply 6
Thank you so much :smile: I sent an email last night, I'm just waiting for the reply. Hopefully, since theres deadlines to the tests, I can ask them to reset them for me.

Perhaps - or maybe you should spend the rest of today revising? If you spend three hours from now, give yourself an hour off. Then another hour before tea. Then two hours this evening I would expect you to be pretty ready for a test.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by hotpud
Perhaps - or maybe you should spend the rest of today revising? If you spend three hours from now, give yourself an hour off. Then another hour before tea. Then two hours this evening I would expect you to be pretty ready for a test.

I've spent today doin a past paper which is good, then gonna complete some hw as well as an nea. The tests are 10 mins and theyre meant to help with admission tests like the ones for oxbridge.
Reply 8
I've spent today doin a past paper which is good, then gonna complete some hw as well as an nea. The tests are 10 mins and theyre meant to help with admission tests like the ones for oxbridge.

Hmmm - could I suggest that if you are this behind right now, Oxbridge might not be for you? A long hard stare at yourself in the mirror might reveal the reality of the situation you are currently in and the fact that there are many places of learning or work that might be perfectly suited for where you are up to right now. Oxford and Cambridge will still be there in a few years if you decide that is where you need to go.
Reply 9
Original post by hotpud
Hmmm - could I suggest that if you are this behind right now, Oxbridge might not be for you? A long hard stare at yourself in the mirror might reveal the reality of the situation you are currently in and the fact that there are many places of learning or work that might be perfectly suited for where you are up to right now. Oxford and Cambridge will still be there in a few years if you decide that is where you need to go.

Tbf i was never really planning on applying there, I just thought it would be useful for extra study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending