Visit website

Scroll to see replies

good BA (hons) in Goobledegook.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 81
It's not really 'prestigious,' I guess...it's good for law, and is a really nice university. I wish it was better for my course, I'd have loved to go there.
Reply 82
yodude888
Thats pretty much my opinion too

yeh same, this would be what most people would consider the top unis i'd imagine, to be honest i don't know too much about st.andrews or the london unis but they have great reputations. I'd say unis like st.andrews, durham, bristol, edinburgh and oxbridge are more of the older traditional unis where as newer unis such as bath, york, warwick and the top london ones have definately caught up over recent years
Matio
yeh same, this would be what most people would consider the top unis i'd imagine, to be honest i don't know too much about st.andrews or the london unis but they have great reputations. I'd say unis like st.andrews, durham, bristol, edinburgh and oxbridge are more of the older traditional unis where as newer unis such as bath, york, warwick and the top london ones have definately caught up over recent years

Bristol is no older (slightly newer) than the likes of UCL and KCL...
Nottingham is just another solid uni, like Manchester/Birmingham.
Reply 85
Matio
I'd say unis like st.andrews, durham, bristol, edinburgh and oxbridge are more of the older traditional unis where as newer unis such as bath, york, warwick and the top london ones have definately caught up over recent years

Oxford, Cambrdge, St Andrews and, to a lesser extent, Edinburgh are all ancient universities. Durham's been a seat of learning and teaching for as long as those but, as a university, is nowhere near that age. I think UCL was the first secular university in England (as before then you only had Oxford, Cambridge and the much newer Durham - all religious). So if UCL was the first secular university it's therefore older than Bristol (as Bristol, and the redbricks in general, are secular).

So both KCL and UCL are as old as Durham and older than Bristol. You strongly suggest Durham and Bristol are ancients and that UCL and KCL (as top London unis) are plate glass like Warwick and York.
need more love
Nottingham is just another solid uni, like Manchester/Birmingham.

TBH, my views might be colored as a Notts student, but I am slightly offended by that remark. It is certainly considered better than those to most students. Shows the ignorance of new university students I suppose, the 2009 Times guide is gospel to you lot. Do a bit of research and you would change your mind
Reply 87
Broadsword
TBH, my views might be colored as a Notts student, but I am slightly offended by that remark. It is certainly considered better than those to most students. Shows the ignorance of new university students I suppose, the 2009 Times guide is gospel to you lot. Do a bit of research and you would change your mind

Are you actually arguing that Nottingham is significantly better than Manchester (especially) and Birmingham overall? Yes, Nottingham is stronger and more reputable when it comes to economics or law, though this isn't the case for a lot of other arts subjects (languages, etc.) and sciences.
Reply 88
Nottingham is no better than any other top 20 University such as Manchester/Birmingham.

No prestige at Nottingham.....
ElemenT'
Nottingham is no better than any other top 20 University such as Manchester/Birmingham.

No prestige at Nottingham.....

Ah the infamous ElemenT, the Nottingham basher, of course you are going to say that. Well try considerably better rankings in all domestic tables over the last 15 years, better entry standards as well, higher peer review and head teacher review scores, considerably more targeted (bar manchester) than traditional 'top 20' universities as you call them according to surveys. I dont know what you regard as prestige but hey.

Also quite a good measure of prestige is where traditional prestigious public schools like to send their students, if you look at schools like Westminster, Harrow, Kings Canterbury, e.t.c alot more people go to Notts than Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton, e.t.c.

I remember talking to a Manchester student a couple of months back and he said 'my university is where all the goths go', he also said that Manchester is average because everyone seems to go there or be able to go there - its like Britains university. In the US prestige = hard how it is to get into the place, ie HYPS are the hardest to get into. On that measure Notts' traditional higher entry standards and more applicants per place means its harder to get into, thus more prestigious.

And dont give me 'Manchester has higher entry standards this year' - thats 1 year well done - make it 15 years in a row then you will have a point.
Reply 90
Broadsword
TBH, my views might be colored as a Notts student, but I am slightly offended by that remark

Have a look at the member's usertitle (the bit below their name).

Now I'm closing this thread. It's an old thread, dates back to November and shouldn't really have been bumped. But it has and I decided to leave it but the same old directionless discussion comes up. Nothing new has been said and I doubt it will. It's just attracting trolls and has done ever since it was created.

So I think all that can be said has been said.

Latest

Trending

Trending