The Student Room Group

Missed MSc Grade

Hi there, I got my degree results and missed my MSc entry requirement by 1% (needed 65 instead of 64). I am applying to the same university as my ug (KCL), but I'm unsure if I will get in. I want to stay in London and I don't know if it's worth going somewhere like Queen Mary as my undergraduate is from King's College London or if it's worth trying somewhere like Warwick, Nottingham or Southampton. The problem is I'm happy in London and wish to remain here and I'm not sure how much your master's university even matters?
Original post by jumpman123
Hi there, I got my degree results and missed my MSc entry requirement by 1% (needed 65 instead of 64). I am applying to the same university as my ug (KCL), but I'm unsure if I will get in. I want to stay in London and I don't know if it's worth going somewhere like Queen Mary as my undergraduate is from King's College London or if it's worth trying somewhere like Warwick, Nottingham or Southampton. The problem is I'm happy in London and wish to remain here and I'm not sure how much your master's university even matters?

I would have thought that step 1 would be to establish whether there's any flexibility in the 64% vs. 65% cut-off. Have you enquired? Or have they already said that you won't be allowed onto the MSc?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I would have thought that step 1 would be to establish whether there's any flexibility in the 64% vs. 65% cut-off. Have you enquired? Or have they already said that you won't be allowed onto the MSc?

I've emailed them as well as my personal tutor, trying to find out now. They've not closed applications (while most others have closed) so I'm assuming there may be some leinency due to it not being so competitive.

However I want to prepare for the worst outcome so I've already started looking at other options
I've emailed them as well as my personal tutor, trying to find out now. They've not closed applications (while most others have closed) so I'm assuming there may be some leinency due to it not being so competitive.

However I want to prepare for the worst outcome so I've already started looking at other options

Understood. If you're "happy in London and wish to remain here", then I'd say that what you should do. If Queen Mary have an MSc that you like the look of, then apply there. There's little point having a miserable time somewhere else, just for the perceived "prestige" of their brand. Especially as you've already ticked the prestige box with your undergraduate degree.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. If you're "happy in London and wish to remain here", then I'd say that what you should do. If Queen Mary have an MSc that you like the look of, then apply there. There's little point having a miserable time somewhere else, just for the perceived "prestige" of their brand. Especially as you've already ticked the prestige box with your undergraduate degree.

I like the courses better at Bath and Nottingham but my whole life is based in London from family to childhood friends to uni friends :frown:
I like the courses better at Bath and Nottingham but my whole life is based in London from family to childhood friends to uni friends :frown:

Well, then it sounds like you might have a decision to make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending