The Student Room Group

What usually happens in a probation review?

My boss quickly phoned me this morning to tell me I’ve passed probation and that they’re keeping me on’ she was super super brief and didn’t really go into stuff I do well….which makes me worry she doesn’t want me. She said just a couple things’ and told me to be a bit more organised and then she proceeded to ask if there’s anything I wanted to ask.

It was all very brief and I just wonder whether it’s a bad sign?
No, I don't think it's really supposed to be an in depth thing such as an annual review, you ether pass it or you don't.

Same as if I get interviewed for a job, what I really want to hear on the phone is whether I got the job or not. Telling me why I got the job is just small talk really.
Very often probation periods come and go without anybody saying anything. Unless and until you're told that they want to dismiss you (which they can do at any time for almost any reason within the first two years, regardless of what the probationary period actually is) you should assume that they're happy with your work and are happy to keep you on. Indeed, you've been explicitly told that you have passed probation, so there's no reason at all to think that your boss doesn't want to keep you on. If that was the case you wouldn't have passed probation. There's nothing to worry about.
Original post by Anonymous
My boss quickly phoned me this morning to tell me I’ve passed probation and that they’re keeping me on’ she was super super brief and didn’t really go into stuff I do well….which makes me worry she doesn’t want me. She said just a couple things’ and told me to be a bit more organised and then she proceeded to ask if there’s anything I wanted to ask.

No, it's quite normal, if you've done well and passed, there's nothing really much to say about the subject.
On the other hand, if you didn't pass it they should usually give you feedback as to what you need to improve on.
Original post by Anonymous

it's a good sign

although until you have 2 years service with the organisation you have limited employment rights

a lot of bosses wouldn't tell you you had passed until the next time you were in
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Very often probation periods come and go without anybody saying anything. Unless and until you're told that they want to dismiss you (which they can do at any time for almost any reason within the first two years, regardless of what the probationary period actually is) you should assume that they're happy with your work and are happy to keep you on. Indeed, you've been explicitly told that you have passed probation, so there's no reason at all to think that your boss doesn't want to keep you on. If that was the case you wouldn't have passed probation. There's nothing to worry about.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending