The Student Room Group

Exam Stress Stories

I don't think there's anything more burdening in the education system than having to sit an exam. Exams to me are fruitless tests of your ability to answer questions with a strict time limit attached, whilst you sit in a room reading the question, then writing as quickly and accurately as possible, with a handful of page turns of a booklet sprinkled in throughout.

I've always felt exams were difficult given my personal circumstances. I had extra time and used a word processor, but even those concessions weren't enough to help me finish my GCSE English exam. My time management sucks, so when time was up, I was given the opportunity to finish my sentence before handing it in. I was glad I got a B (or whatever the equivalent of that is now), but I think I may have gotten an A if I was allowed to finish it all-but of course in exams that isn't possible.

Not only is time of the essence in exams, but the emotional pressure is often needless and overwhelming. When I prepared for one of the two college history exams I had to undertake, I was going about things normally, anticipating it with a regular sense of dread akin to one going under the surgical knife. But then I got a Facebook message or some kind of notice on the morning of the exam, that told me the exam that I would be taking-and it turned out to be the one I HAD NOT PREPARED FOR! Once I realized this, I got myself all kinds of worked up. I had a panic attack and uncontrollable nosebleed. Eventually I was able to calm down and take the exam, but the shock and the stress really isn't worth it.

Have you got any exam experiences you'd like to share that were problematic or pleasant?
Reply 1
Exams are the best system to prove your educational knowledge to others outside of the system. If you think exams are stressful wait till you start work. You need strategies right now to deal with the pressure of exams, and this can be learnt.
Coping with pressure is a skill that can be carried over into real life. Just avoiding it because it is 'nasty' or not necessary does no one in the real world any favours.

Exam boards should be able to validate the integrity and rigour of their exams. That you as a candidate can indicate your personal knowledge of the subject under controlled conditions. The exam can validate your own work, not internet research or family involved input or someone else's copied or paid works. How does industry judge the calibre of its potential candidates if there is no faith in the exam system. By introducing their own exams? Defeats the object really. Why bother going to Uni if the study time is a time pacifier. Otherwise college and Uni is just one big babysitting factory. Exams are the best way of allowing candidates to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of a subject and should remain.

The pressures of exams will always be there, and it it is up to the candidate to manage the stress they place upon themselves. That is not an onerous demand, and a demand that is placed equally on all students.
yh exams can be stressful but if we're going to compare people on academic ability they seem to be the best way. For better or worse they do test your subject knowledge and ability to apply it better than coursework, and continuous assessment like in the US just seems a bit dumb

I felt pretty stressed before my first GCSE exams in 2019 - well, second actually, geography was first and that didn't rly require any revision lol. But I had a chemistry exam the day after I totally wasn't prepared for but I crammed for 8 hours and went through the whole CGP book and memorised it, and I got a 9.
I had 29 GCSE exams in about a month, which is kind of ridiculous, but after getting through them I had more confidence in sixth form that I could handle any workload. I think extremely stressful challenges give you more confidence if you rise to the occasion. But yh when you hate exams or are unprepared they're just a miserable ego squashing
Original post by Muttly
Exams are the best system to prove your educational knowledge to others outside of the system. If you think exams are stressful wait till you start work. You need strategies right now to deal with the pressure of exams, and this can be learnt.
Coping with pressure is a skill that can be carried over into real life. Just avoiding it because it is 'nasty' or not necessary does no one in the real world any favours.

Exam boards should be able to validate the integrity and rigour of their exams. That you as a candidate can indicate your personal knowledge of the subject under controlled conditions. The exam can validate your own work, not internet research or family involved input or someone else's copied or paid works. How does industry judge the calibre of its potential candidates if there is no faith in the exam system. By introducing their own exams? Defeats the object really. Why bother going to Uni if the study time is a time pacifier. Otherwise college and Uni is just one big babysitting factory. Exams are the best way of allowing candidates to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of a subject and should remain.

The pressures of exams will always be there, and it it is up to the candidate to manage the stress they place upon themselves. That is not an onerous demand, and a demand that is placed equally on all students.

I don't agree that students "place stress on themselves", how on earth can you say that? Exams incorporate various pressures upon students, and many of them measure their sense of worth against others. I agree there are coping mechanisms available, but why have any coping mechanisms at all, when without exams-they wouldn't be weighed down with unnecessary stress?

Life is pressure, and the general workplace does pile heaps on pressure onto people, which they will need to prepare for if they want to work in those types of environment. Personally, I think all this stress makes life harder. It's great if some people can thrive on it, but I'm sure many also don't want it and would be better off without it-like me. I am not a fan of preparing and stressing about an exam beforehand, entering a room where I'll be allocated a table to sit on, then sit the exam by reading the questions and writing the answers; all the while the clock constantly ticks down, adding even more pressure and uncertainty were I not already riddled with it. Pressure, stress and expectations are a part of everyday life, but the force of which exams escalate those aspects is overbearing. What is it all really for anyway? So you can have access to the next stage of your educational endeavours?

Exams are what children grow up with and the education system keeps persisting with as they get older too. They seem to do little than measure people's worth against everybody else, put in time constraints to make it frustrating, and then grade you on your performance telling you whether you're good enough or not. Again, some will thrive, but I'm sure just as many will find exams to be fruitless tests that bring out all the negativity of the education system within a one, two, or three-hour time slot-and minus the bullying and other hardships the education system can saddle students with. Like anything, exams aren't all bad, but they aren't for everybody, and they are indicative of a system that refuses to change.
Reply 4
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I don't agree that students "place stress on themselves", how on earth can you say that? Exams incorporate various pressures upon students, and many of them measure their sense of worth against others. I agree there are coping mechanisms available, but why have any coping mechanisms at all, when without exams-they wouldn't be weighed down with unnecessary stress?

Life is pressure, and the general workplace does pile heaps on pressure onto people, which they will need to prepare for if they want to work in those types of environment. Personally, I think all this stress makes life harder. It's great if some people can thrive on it, but I'm sure many also don't want it and would be better off without it-like me. I am not a fan of preparing and stressing about an exam beforehand, entering a room where I'll be allocated a table to sit on, then sit the exam by reading the questions and writing the answers; all the while the clock constantly ticks down, adding even more pressure and uncertainty were I not already riddled with it. Pressure, stress and expectations are a part of everyday life, but the force of which exams escalate those aspects is overbearing. What is it all really for anyway? So you can have access to the next stage of your educational endeavours?

So who is in charge of your own head? Someone else? Who puts the pressure on your own head?

Life is a competition, and no matter how much you would wish to shield students from that world competition - it exists.

Do you suggest everyone sits in their sofa and doesn't rise to any challenge, just wait for the welfare payment to come through? That way no one gets stressed at all, and if it gets too much there is always medication?

We are doing all students a great disservice by not teaching them how to cope with the pressures of life. That includes exam pressure. If exam pressure is the worst they will encounter in life then they are doing very well. If students have been taught well, have access to online support for revision, and have training in exam technique then that is the best we can do as a minimum? Otherwise, who is to decide who gets what job? What is the measure to say one student is better than another student? Or do you want every student to be selected on a lottery basis no matter what their level of ability is? Is this true equality when there is no selection?
Original post by Muttly
So who is in charge of your own head? Someone else? Who puts the pressure on your own head?

Life is a competition, and no matter how much you would wish to shield students from that world competition - it exists.

Do you suggest everyone sits in their sofa and doesn't rise to any challenge, just wait for the welfare payment to come through? That way no one gets stressed at all, and if it gets too much there is always medication?

We are doing all students a great disservice by not teaching them how to cope with the pressures of life. That includes exam pressure. If exam pressure is the worst they will encounter in life then they are doing very well. If students have been taught well, have access to online support for revision, and have training in exam technique then that is the best we can do as a minimum? Otherwise, who is to decide who gets what job? What is the measure to say one student is better than another student? Or do you want every student to be selected on a lottery basis no matter what their level of ability is? Is this true equality when there is no selection?

The environment creates pressure. Some people can contend with it and some cannot. Parents, teachers and peers can induce pressure to succeed.

I'm not suggesting people shield themselves from pressure and stress, that's impossible, but I do think that exams and competition in general should be a choice not a forced commitment.

Again, some will thrive and want the challenges exams present, and others don't see what worth there is besides a lot of hassle that isn't needed. I've sat many exams and I don't think they've ever felt beneficial even if I got good grades from them.

Students like anyone else will find their way in life. If they gravitate towards pressure, then pressurized situations are for them, they can thrive in exams and get the jobs they want. Those who don't want the bother will likewise get what they want anyway. I don't support the whole one size fits all approach to education or life-because everybody is different, yet education doesn't appear to accommodate that. People get bored of education because the subjects don't match their interests, and if they're bored and aren't motivated, then as a result exams will be a waste of their time, even if it's an opportunity to get them further in life.
Reply 6
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
The environment creates pressure. Some people can contend with it and some cannot. Parents, teachers and peers can induce pressure to succeed.

I'm not suggesting people shield themselves from pressure and stress, that's impossible, but I do think that exams and competition in general should be a choice not a forced commitment.

Again, some will thrive and want the challenges exams present, and others don't see what worth there is besides a lot of hassle that isn't needed. I've sat many exams and I don't think they've ever felt beneficial even if I got good grades from them.

Students like anyone else will find their way in life. If they gravitate towards pressure, then pressurized situations are for them, they can thrive in exams and get the jobs they want. Those who don't want the bother will likewise get what they want anyway. I don't support the whole one size fits all approach to education or life-because everybody is different, yet education doesn't appear to accommodate that. People get bored of education because the subjects don't match their interests, and if they're bored and aren't motivated, then as a result exams will be a waste of their time, even if it's an opportunity to get them further in life.

I actually agree with many of your comments, but the exam system is currently the fairest and most honest system we have to test a student's knowledge. This is for the benefit of employers, and HE

I also agree that there are a cohort of young people who will never be up to exam standard but still have huge potential. Providing all students have capable skills in written and spoken English, and numeracy skills they should be allowed at
14 years of age to undergo apprenticeship training in all manner of manual skills - for example cooking, farming skills, building, grounds work, armed forces etc etc

There has never been a well funded apprenticeship scheme. It has always been fudged. Later the school leaving age was fiddled so as not to make u/e statistics too bad. Too many kids are at Uni who should never be there.

I believe in getting the maximum potential from every single child, physically, mentally and spiritually, academically, athletically, but at the moment the state system fails many. The brightest are failed, the kids needing extra support are failed. The moderate plodders are probably average but it is a world away from excellence. Those who broke the traditional education system up should hang their heads in shame. The system needed modifying not destroying. Gradually the tide is turning and we will re-invent the wheel. So exams should remain here to stay, and we need to help train our young people to deal with stress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending