The Student Room Group

Does he like me? How can I talk to him more?

Hi guys, I am into a family friend of mine and he is in year 11 and I am in year 12 currently. Our families are friends but we don’t see each other regularly but have mural connections and say hi whenever we cross paths etc. Previously he would like my insta stories of quotes/landscape pics but however recently he liked a pic of my and my friend on my story and then 2 days after I posted another landscape which he liked and then again after. As he’s a year younger I offered to lend some of my books to help and so he wanted them and we met up briefly and gave him the books, it wasn’t awkward but quick and we spoke a bit also. How can I develop this into a friendship and possibly a relationship? He also has very fast and does not blunt replies but doesn’t pop up himself, however whenever I do he always continues the conversation too. Do you think he’s interested too? The age is a bit different but we have roughly 9 months between each other so it’s not too bad. How can I talk more with him and stay in contact/ get him to also reach out for non school related stuff as I usually use that as an excuse to talk.
Reply 1
Have you tried having a normal conservation with him or joke with him over text. Maybe start off with text then ask to meet up and it can go on from there.
Reply 2
You're really overthinking it. Liking posts on social media might not mean anything - lots of people just like tonnes of things without giving it any thought.

If you want to pursue this, you have to push through the "i want to talk but need an excuse" thing, or you need to come up with more excuses to talk, enough to translate it into extended real-life interactions. The latter approach is substantially worse imo since eventually you'll run out of excuses and it might end up becoming transparent.

Find something you want to do or see, then ask them if they'd be interested in going. It's not really an excuse if you'd rather not go by yourself, right?
Reply 3
Original post by mon0
You're really overthinking it. Liking posts on social media might not mean anything - lots of people just like tonnes of things without giving it any thought.

If you want to pursue this, you have to push through the "i want to talk but need an excuse" thing, or you need to come up with more excuses to talk, enough to translate it into extended real-life interactions. The latter approach is substantially worse imo since eventually you'll run out of excuses and it might end up becoming transparent.

Find something you want to do or see, then ask them if they'd be interested in going. It's not really an excuse if you'd rather not go by yourself, right?

Thank you! Since he sits exams currently would you say it’s best to wait till both of our exams are done and then I could imitate an activity to do for like celebrating them being done or something? i just am unsure on how to initiate general conversation as we are also from Muslim backgrounds so harder to initiate sometimes
Reply 4
Hard for me to say - if he's someone who is very studious, then yeah, maybe wait til exams are done. If not then it being exam time might be kind of irrelevant to him and you could just be doing something to get away from revision for a bit.
Reply 5
Original post by mon0
Hard for me to say - if he's someone who is very studious, then yeah, maybe wait til exams are done. If not then it being exam time might be kind of irrelevant to him and you could just be doing something to get away from revision for a bit.

Yeah he’s not big on exams as I know he said he’s not that stressed and that he thinks he’s ready and he’s doing foundation for maths and science too so less workload probably. We have an upcoming wedding this Sunday that most friends and family here will attend and I’m thinking of asking him how his exams went on Friday and ask if he’s also coming? Is that a good idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending