The Student Room Group

University of Reading vs Kent

Hi guys I am struggling to pick between Reading and Kent. I am looking to study finance and both of the Unis rank top 50 but Reading is higher. Reading is higher and does seem like its more prestigious because of the Henley Business school.

If i chose Reading i have to do a foundation year but with Kent i can go straight to first year. I was wondering do you think is better to chose Reading because it is more prestigious or if i should just go to Kent so i don't have to do a foundation year.
so you're trading off a perceived better reputation with the time and money cost of a foundation year

what do you hope to gain from reading's better reputation? to me they are in much the same league
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
so you're trading off a perceived better reputation with the time and money cost of a foundation year

what do you hope to gain from reading's better reputation? to me they are in much the same league

I want better career prospects and feel like going to a high ranking uni might be better but I wanted t know if reading is prestigious as some of the Russel groups for finance
Have you considered the types of universities they are? - campus, city etc. Have you been to any open days and seen what the university is like in person?
I don’t believe this is a question we can answer for you but only advise you on what to do, have you compared the courses as well and seen which ones you prefer?
Original post by Kingroyal
I want better career prospects and feel like going to a high ranking uni might be better but I wanted t know if reading is prestigious as some of the Russel groups for finance

outside of the top 5-10 uk universities that are target schools for finance, it doesn't really matter and the difference between reading and kent is not worth the price of a foundation year im afraid
Reply 5
Original post by NicolaMS
Have you considered the types of universities they are? - campus, city etc. Have you been to any open days and seen what the university is like in person?
I don’t believe this is a question we can answer for you but only advise you on what to do, have you compared the courses as well and seen which ones you prefer?

both are campus unis but i havent visted any open days. both courses have similar moduales but i dont have any preferences.

next open days will be next year. both business schools are good and they are both tripple accredited but looking on google the henley business school seems more prestigious as it is a top 10 business school in the UK
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi guys I am struggling to pick between Reading and Kent. I am looking to study finance and both of the Unis rank top 50 but Reading is higher. Reading is higher and does seem like its more prestigious because of the Henley Business school.

If i chose Reading i have to do a foundation year but with Kent i can go straight to first year. I was wondering do you think is better to chose Reading because it is more prestigious or if i should just go to Kent so i don't have to do a foundation year.

Hi there :smile:

Choosing a uni can be extremely difficult and although I cant help you make your decision, i'm hoping that I can give you a bit of an insight as to what life is like at Kent. Kent is a campus university situated about a 15 minute walk from Canterbury. I know a few people who study finance and from what I've heard they really enjoy studying it here. Unfortunately there are no more in person open days this year but here is a list of the 2023 open days if you are interested in visiting:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days
Alternatively, you can find a virtual tour of the Canterbury campus if you want to get a feel as to what its like here:
Campus tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoKBukILWp4

If you have any specific questions about Kent then please let me know and I will be more than happy to answer them!
Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Is the degree you are proposing to do at Reading taught at the Henley Business School?

If not, then it is no better than choosing Exeter for English because of the Camborne School of Mines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending