The Student Room Group

Is Lidl bad quality?

Scroll to see replies

Also, some items are actually cheaper in M&S so always look around supermarkets. But Lidl is great for most stuff.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Lidl is German right?

Yep! it is a German discounter that exists everywhere. In Germany Lidl is even divided in two parts, Lidl and LidlSüd. People always make fun of it by saying: "if you enter a LidlSüd discounter, you arrive the South of Germany!" :lol:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Yep! it is a German discounter that exists everywhere. In Germany Lidl is even divided in two parts, Lidl and LidlSüd. People always make fun of it by saying: "if you enter a LidlSüd discounter, you arrive the South of Germany!" :lol:

Yeah like Aldi then. Is it your favourite supermarket? (Lidl).
Yeah like Aldi then. Is it your favourite supermarket? (Lidl).

It is the supermarket I frequently seek. The ingredients for foods have a good price and I can cook a good meal with them.
It is the supermarket I frequently seek. The ingredients for foods have a good price and I can cook a good meal with them.

Ah fair enough, there must be lots of Lidls in Germany.
Ah fair enough, there must be lots of Lidls in Germany.

That is the reason why they are divided in North and South Germany. You can find this supermarket in each German city.

What is the difference between a Lidl and a LidlSüd? :hmmmm:
Original post by penguingirl18
What is the difference between a Lidl and a LidlSüd? :hmmmm:

The region, see comment #26. LidlSüd is in the Southern and Lidl in the Northern regions of the country. as in Aldi and Aldi Süd, see here:

(edited 1 year ago)
The region, see comment #26. LidlSüd is in the Southern and Lidl in the Northern regions of the country. as in Aldi and Aldi Süd, see here:

So the store and products are the same, just the location is different?
That is the reason why they are divided in North and South Germany. You can find this supermarket in each German city.

3000 Lidl stores in Germany apparently dang :eek:.
3000 Lidl stores in Germany apparently dang :eek:.

That is lesser than I expected and thought about more than 10,000 in the whole country.

Original post by penguingirl18
So the store and products are the same, just the location is different?

In terms of Lidl you might be right. Aldi is a biiit different: the Aldi branches are divived between the two Albrecht brothers. Theo Albrecht has the northern half and Karl Albrecht the Southern half.
That is lesser than I expected and thought about more than 10,000 in the whole country.

In terms of Lidl you might be right. Aldi is a biiit different: the Aldi branches are divived between the two Albrecht brothers. Theo Albrecht has the northern half and Karl Albrecht the Southern half.

I just googled it online though so the stat might be wrong.
I just googled it online though so the stat might be wrong.

Not so wrong than you thought: there are 3,200 lidl branchens around Germany according to the German stats I have found.
(edited 1 year ago)
Not so wrong than you thought: there are 3,200 lidl branchens around Germany according to the German stats I have found.

Yeah that's a lot.
I like lidl, i split my shopping between their & tesco. They certainly don’t have the same variety of your big supermarkets although if you buy fresh meat & veg it’s much cheaper per gram then other supermarkets with comparable quality.
Original post by mnot
I like lidl, i split my shopping between their & tesco. They certainly don’t have the same variety of your big supermarkets although if you buy fresh meat & veg it’s much cheaper per gram then other supermarkets with comparable quality.

Tesco is good too
Tesco is good too

It’s alright, it has excellent selection at the super stores. Probably alongside asda in terms of variety. And has more premium products.

It’s not as good value as it once was but it’s probably the most reliable.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mnot
It’s alright, it has excellent selection at the super stores. Probably alongside asda in terms of variety. And has more premium products.

It’s not as good value as it once was but it’s probably the most reliable.

Yeah I like Tesco, Adsa, Sainsbury's and M&S especially.
Original post by Anonymous
I sincerely apologise if I sound stuck up, I really don’t mean to be! But is Lidl food good quality? Im just sceptical because of how cheap it is. I just worry it doesn’t pass certain standards.

My parents have never shopped there. Admittedly we have the privilege of shopping weekly at Waitrose but I’ve moved out with my boyfriend and he keeps telling me we should go to lidl to save on my food bill!

I’m just skeptical…

Yes lidl is good quality. It as good as any other supermarket.
Reply 39
A bit pretentious? Go ahead and and waste your money because you are too much of a snob to even go and try something.

Quick Reply

Latest