The Student Room Group

Academy schools are not fit for purpose

Academies are basically a failure. They are characterised by corruption and care more about money and reputation than actual learning. Surely schools should focus more on the quality of education inside the classroom rather than obsess over renovating and refurbishing everything, something that academies are obsessed with. There's no actual evidence to suggest that local maintained schools are bad yet it's clearly obvious that academy schools are not fit for purpose because there's hardly any evidence to show they're a success.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is the source for your sweeping statement. While it is questionable deregulation and likely to attract the more egotistical end of headteachers, the result will reflect the calibre of leadership. Where a school has a headteacher who is a good leader, educator and manager, admittedly probably not easy to find, the outcome can be excellent
Original post by Zarek
What is the source for your sweeping statement. While it is questionable deregulation and likely to attract the more egotistical end of headteachers, the result will reflect the calibre of leadership. Where a school has a headteacher who is a good leader, educator and manager, admittedly probably not easy to find, the outcome can be excellent

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/10/council-run-schools-outperform-academies-england-analysis-shows

It's not a sweeping statement, it's a fact. Academy schools are a disaster. Your point about egotistical headteachers makes no sense. There's no evidence to suggest the outcome is excellent. Schools that become academies usually get away a lot of dodgy stuff. All deregulation should be banned.
Reply 3
Original post by EL2025
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/10/council-run-schools-outperform-academies-england-analysis-shows

It's not a sweeping statement, it's a fact. Academy schools are a disaster. Your point about egotistical headteachers makes no sense. There's no evidence to suggest the outcome is excellent. Schools that become academies usually get away a lot of dodgy stuff. All deregulation should be banned.

The article does not say academy schools are a disaster, in fact it say 85% were rated good. I know an excellent academy school. As to whether they were the right thing to introduce, I’m not convinced on this
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by EL2025

are you looking for a debate/discussion on this topic?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
are you looking for a debate/discussion on this topic?

yes
Original post by EL2025
yes

I've moved your thread from chat to educational debate then :hat2:
(edited 1 year ago)
I've moved your thread from chat to educational debate then :hat2:

Ok thanks
The problem with today's education system is that it's all about profit and making money than actually learning things. Schools should get back to basics and focus more on teaching and learning than bragging about putting up new buildings and making everything so modern. Renovating and refurbishing is all fine and good but if it takes priority over what's taught in the classroom then there's a problem, and that is what we see with academy schools.
Are you looking for a discussion on this topic or do you just want to make a statement?
Are you looking for a discussion on this topic or do you just want to make a statement?

I'm looking for a discussion.
Original post by EL2025
The problem with today's education system is that it's all about profit and making money than actually learning things. Schools should get back to basics and focus more on teaching and learning than bragging about putting up new buildings and making everything so modern. Renovating and refurbishing is all fine and good but if it takes priority over what's taught in the classroom then there's a problem, and that is what we see with academy schools.

I agree - Private schools should be closed - they ARE businesses.
Original post by Muttley79
I agree - Private schools should be closed - they ARE businesses.

Well I don't personally have a problem with private schools, they work differently to academies and I think that closing private schools would cause further problems. I think the problem lies with state schools because they are sponsored more by businesses whereas private schools tend to have a culture of tradition. But I see where you are coming from :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Problem with schools today is that lack of authority teachers have and the lack of tools to effective discipline students.
Original post by Guru Jason
Problem with schools today is the lack of authority teachers have and the lack of tools to effectively discipline students.

Yes I agree - misbehaviour has gotten out of control. In some ways, schools are too soft nowadays
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by EL2025
Academies are basically a failure. They are characterised by corruption and care more about money and reputation than actual learning. Surely schools should focus more on the quality of education inside the classroom rather than obsess over renovating and refurbishing everything, something that academies are obsessed with. There's no actual evidence to suggest that local maintained schools are bad yet it's clearly obvious that academy schools are not fit for purpose because there's hardly any evidence to show they're a success.

Hi OP, I've combined the two threads you made that looked to be on a pretty similar topic. If you want the title to say something different to cover the whole topic, let me know. :smile:
Original post by EL2025
Well I don't personally have a problem with private schools, they work differently to academies and I think that closing private schools would cause further problems. I think the problem lies with state schools because they are sponsored more by businesses whereas private schools tend to have a culture of tradition. But I see where you are coming from :smile:

State schools aren't sponsored by businesses [that's not allowed] - Private schools are!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Muttley79
State schools aren't sponsored by businesses [that's not allowed] - Private schools are!

No private schools aren't sponsored by businesses, they don't need to be because parents already pay. State schools most certainly are sponsored by businesses - that's exactly what academy schools are: schools sponsored by businesses. My school was an academy and it was sponsored by a business. That was what Michael Gove set up as Education Secretary - having state schools sponsored by businesses, also known as an academy.
Original post by EL2025
No private schools aren't sponsored by businesses, they don't need to be because parents already pay. State schools most certainly are sponsored by businesses - that's exactly what academy schools are: schools sponsored by businesses. My school was an academy and it was sponsored by a business. That was what Michael Gove set up as Education Secretary - having state schools sponsored by businesses, also known as an academy.

Proof please - it's against the law for businesses to sponsor Academies.

An academy is a school funded directly by the Government and not the LA ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending