The Student Room Group

How disadvantaged would I be having not done CS in either GCSE, nor A Level.

I haven't had much experience with programming/web development either
Note: My current A Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and an AS in Biology. I have offers from Cardiff, Bristol, and Warwick
Original post by jeff1784
I haven't had much experience with programming/web development either
Note: My current A Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and an AS in Biology. I have offers from Cardiff, Bristol, and Warwick

The fact that you have three offers from those universities suggests that they don't think it's much of a disadvantage.

Many Computer Science applicants will have had a lot of experience, however, either academically or just as a hobby. So you may, at least initially, find yourself "behind the curve" slightly. You might like to attempt to mitigate against this by spending some time between A levels and university getting some programming/development experience. There's no need for it to be "official" experience. You can just watch YouTube videos and read on-line articles, working through whatever tutorials you can find. It might not make much difference in reality, but it might be enough to give you a little confidence.
Reply 2
some jobs require computer science degree.
Original post by cvgk
some jobs require computer science degree.

Given that the OP has posted this in "Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths university courses > Computer Science" and says, "I have offers from Cardiff, Bristol, and Warwick", it seem reasonable to assume that they've applied for, and received offers for, a Computer Science degree.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Given that the OP has posted this in "Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths university courses > Computer Science" and says, "I have offers from Cardiff, Bristol, and Warwick", it seem reasonable to assume that they've applied for, and received offers for, a Computer Science degree.

Thank you for the answer, I have an unrelated question, is it worth leaving home to go to Warwick over Bristol considering that Warwick is the better uni? Or in practice will the difference be negligible?
Original post by jeff1784
Thank you for the answer, I have an unrelated question, is it worth leaving home to go to Warwick over Bristol considering that Warwick is the better uni? Or in practice will the difference be negligible?

If you've decided that staying at home suits you better than moving away (particularly financially), then I wouldn't have thought the "draw" of Warwick over Bristol would be sufficient to out-weight that. Note that I'm not particularly advocating staying at home, but your question implies that this is your preferred / default option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending