The Student Room Group

Does the type of uni matter?

Got a question. For IT or engineering courses in general, would employers care about what university you go to? Say if you go to a lower ranked university, would it affect anything? When I mean lower ranked unis, I mean unis that aren’t well known by people and not found in the list of Russel group universities. Thank you, hope to be hearing from you guys on what you think :smile:
Often non RG unis are better for individual things. RG is just about marketing and research intensity anyways, it does not mean a better quality of education. In fact a lot of RG unis are TEF silver and many non RG unis are TEF gold. It’s not the same as the Ivy League in America. Go where is best suited for you and your course.
Not really. It only makes a difference for investment banking and management consulting for the most part, and even for those it's nothing to do with rankings or Russell Group membership, it's about whether it's considered a target uni by the bank/firm in question (and while most target unis are highly ranking members of the RG, there are plenty of other RG unis that are not target unis, and some other highly ranking unis in various fields that aren't target unis).

I should also point out the RG is nominally a postgraduate research consortium and actually a political lobbying group, and in either case membership has no bearing on undergraduate teaching (certainly not a positive one - if anything teaching may be worse due to being more research focused).
Original post by aspiring_med1
Got a question. For IT or engineering courses in general, would employers care about what university you go to? Say if you go to a lower ranked university, would it affect anything? When I mean lower ranked unis, I mean unis that aren’t well known by people and not found in the list of Russel group universities. Thank you, hope to be hearing from you guys on what you think :smile:

Usually, the "lower ranked" universities offer more practical/hands-on courses which may actually prepare you better for the vast majority of CS related jobs better vs the "higher ranked" universities which offer a more theoretical/traditional CompSci education.

The key thing is to do a placement year or a summer internship wherever you go.
(edited 1 year ago)
So would you say if you want to get into investment banking and management consulting, the type of uni matters pretty much? Do you know any other fields that require you to go to a specific uni if you know what I mean?
So would you say if you want to get into investment banking and management consulting, the type of uni matters pretty much? Do you know any other fields that require you to go to a specific uni if you know what I mean?
Original post by artful_lounger
Not really. It only makes a difference for investment banking and management consulting for the most part, and even for those it's nothing to do with rankings or Russell Group membership, it's about whether it's considered a target uni by the bank/firm in question (and while most target unis are highly ranking members of the RG, there are plenty of other RG unis that are not target unis, and some other highly ranking unis in various fields that aren't target unis).

I should also point out the RG is nominally a postgraduate research consortium and actually a political lobbying group, and in either case membership has no bearing on undergraduate teaching (certainly not a positive one - if anything teaching may be worse due to being more research focused).

If you wanna get into iB then you basically the higher ranked the uni then the better Your chances of getting in with a degree at LSE are higher compared to a degree at Sheffield despite both being Russell group. Also I find your username interesting considering the title of the thread lol

It does not matter.

It's specifically just those two areas. You should be aiming for a "target" uni if that is your goal (target unis being Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial/LSE/Warwick normally).

For anything else employers don't normally care where you studied and may not even look at that anyway.
Thank you all!
Reply 10
If you want to be a software engineer or you want to go to cyber security area your ability is more important, the projects what you involved .I know someone who studied history he is now in Sanfransisco, he is working as a software engineer at microsoft.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending