The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Lancaster, for Computer Science?

Both offers are for the same course but Lancaster are offering me a scholarship too. I want to choose Lancaster but I feel like Nottingham is ranked higher. Which would you choose?
Original post by theboogyman
Both offers are for the same course but Lancaster are offering me a scholarship too. I want to choose Lancaster but I feel like Nottingham is ranked higher. Which would you choose?

Forget the ranking, when it comes between those two unis, you are splitting hairs as they are both good
Original post by Ghostlady
Forget the ranking, when it comes between those two unis, you are splitting hairs as they are both good

alright, thank you!
Which course do you prefer - look at the optional units for all years of each course.
Think about which options you would actually choose if you went there.
This is far more important than the brand name of the Uni - enjoying what you are studying is the whole point of goiing to Uni,

Hi @theboogyman

I’ve had a look at the Guardian University Guide 2023 and it appears that Lancaster is ranked higher than Nottingham. Regardless, I would suggest you go with the option you feel most happy with rather than basing your choice on rankings alone.

There are many things to consider when choosing a course. Personally, I looked at the optional modules available and the location of the uni. I would advise visiting the unis if possible at an open day or an applicant visit day. Failing that even just a tour around the campus would be good. I found that visiting unis in person really helped to solidify my choice.

My housemate studied computer science at lancaster and really enjoyed it and is now in a graduate job.

best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Guardian University Guide 2023 and it appears that Lancaster is ranked higher than Nottingham.

And other 'guides'. league tables, rankings etc etc will have them in a totally different order - which just shows that this is no way to decide which University to go to.
They're roughly the same level of prestige, pick which ever one you like better. League tables in general are inconsistent and unreliable, but the guardian one is particularly questionable if you ask me.
Original post by McGinger
And other 'guides'. league tables, rankings etc etc will have them in a totally different order - which just shows that this is no way to decide which University to go to.

Tbf they are a lancaster student ambassador.

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.
Sadly I don't study computer science so can't offer much advice on that but in general I would say that if you have a strong feeling towards one or another then listen to that. If you can maybe visit on open days or just go if you can as sometimes you do just get a feeling as to whether you would like to live there.
Although at the end of it uni is about the degree, you do also need to feel as if you would be happy to live there and happy at the uni (clubs, societies, city life etc).

I also don't know much about Lancaster but have a friend from sixth form who went there. He seems to have had a really good time and joined lots of sports clubs. That being said I have also really enjoyed Nottingham. The city is super student friendly and there is lots to do there and on campus. Whatever your interests are there will likely be a club or society to suit you or there will be something random that peaks your interest.

One other thing to consider is looking through the modules you will be able to take at each year at each uni as they will likely differ based on the unis specialities etc. I know sometimes the first year modules look amazing but down the line in 3rd or 4th year there are ones that don't interest people enough so this could be a good thing to loom at and consider.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about Nottingham just let me know,
Emily :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @theboogyman

I’ve had a look at the Guardian University Guide 2023 and it appears that Lancaster is ranked higher than Nottingham. Regardless, I would suggest you go with the option you feel most happy with rather than basing your choice on rankings alone.

There are many things to consider when choosing a course. Personally, I looked at the optional modules available and the location of the uni. I would advise visiting the unis if possible at an open day or an applicant visit day. Failing that even just a tour around the campus would be good. I found that visiting unis in person really helped to solidify my choice.

My housemate studied computer science at lancaster and really enjoyed it and is now in a graduate job.

best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

It appears to be! Guess Lancaster is my go to place then, modules look far better :P

Hi! I know this thread is a few days old but just thought I could give some additional insight as a third-year Computer Science student at Lancaster. Again, there are many aspects to think about when choosing a university but I would suggest looking at the facilities each Computing department and the university as a whole offers. If an in-person trip to either place isn't achievable, I know at least Lancaster holds some online tours and open days.

And as other people have mentioned, definitely look at the modules as there may be a lot of differences there. For example, there were no specific maths modules in Lancaster or modules that relied heavily on maths (however, this may have changed slightly as the modules offered have improved and changed since I've become a student here). So in this case, if you don't like maths then that might be a plus for you!

If you have any questions at all about my experience, feel free to let me know by replying :smile:
Best of luck for the future and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever university you decide to go to.

- Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending