The Student Room Group

Biomed to Dentistry? Lost and confused.

So I got bad in my a levels forcing me to resit. I applied for the first time this year to dental schools and got straight rejections cuz of a weak UCAT. Now I am focusing on getting the highest possible in my A levels but I am really anxious about what I am going to do. My parents are against a second gap year even getting them to let me have the first one took a lot of convincing and so I am looking into biomed which ik very competitive very hard to get into but what other choice do I have?

I wanted to do clinical sciences at bradford but I don't qualify for widening participation so i can't do the transfer after first year scheme. - I also don't even think they did dentistry.

I was looking into Leicester and their transfer after the first year into med school scheme seems extremely competitive but i was thinking of doing something like micro biology which interests me and then trying to go ahead go onto first year med the following year.
But then again this is for Med school and I am ASSUMING its the same for dentistry i have looked into so many unis and I can't seem to find a biomed to dentistry transfer course ANYWHERE.

Dentistry is my dream and I don't know how I am going to pursue it.

I also don't want to end up doing grad entry dentsitry bcuz I won't be able to fund it on my own and my parents said they wouldn't be able to support me at that time and in their eyes I will most likely be a failure bcuz I couldn't get into uni the first time around and will finish dental school much older (which isnt a bad thing at all it's just they put a hell of a lot of pressure on me and I would LOVE for them to get off my back)

Anyways it's not even about them too- grad entry is 100 times more competitive.

I am truly in conflict.
Just to note that Biomed isn't especially competitive, (unless you are looking at London or somewhere very highly ranked). You can walk into most biomed courses with average grades.

So the question is whether it's worth the bother, because if you enrol than you must accept that your hopes of either med or dentistry may be over at that point.

May be worth discussing with your parents exactly what they are expecting of you, given that dentistry sounds like your true passion.
Original post by Admit-One
Just to note that Biomed isn't especially competitive, (unless you are looking at London or somewhere very highly ranked). You can walk into most biomed courses with average grades.

So the question is whether it's worth the bother, because if you enrol than you must accept that your hopes of either med or dentistry may be over at that point.

May be worth discussing with your parents exactly what they are expecting of you, given that dentistry sounds like your true passion.

Hi, Yes I know getting onto the biomed course won't be that much of a struggle but I think that the transfer scheme after the first year or GEM is super competitive.
They both just want me to get into Dentistry ASAP because it is a long course and delaying it further (by taking another gap year) doesn't sound good to them.
I would much rather be in university next year, so I don't know whether I should just apply for biomed unis that have transfer schemes or just focus on my A levels this year and to my parents discontent take a gap yr and try again.
I also don't know how unis will see resits and reapplications..
Hi! :smile: Biomed applicant here. What Admit-One says is correct: biomed isn't overly competitive unless you're looking at a London uni or Oxbridge. A lot of people take biomed if they haven't managed to make it to undergrad med in the hopes of doing GEM later down the line (which I don't know why they would do, since GEM is even more competitive than undergrad med, but each to their own I suppose.)

However, it sounds like your heart is set on dentistry. It sounds like both you and your parents aren't on the same page for your passion. I wouldn't recommend graduate entry- it's way harder to get in. If you think your parents will be willing to listen to reason, maybe explain how it's best for you to take a second gap year and apply with a better UCAT score, than struggle through GEM, which they can't fund anyway? If your parents are worried about success, tell them that taking a second gap year will statistically be the most likely way for you to achieve your dreams.

Don't give up, and best of luck! :smile:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Hi! :smile: Biomed applicant here. What Admit-One says is correct: biomed isn't overly competitive unless you're looking at a London uni or Oxbridge. A lot of people take biomed if they haven't managed to make it to undergrad med in the hopes of doing GEM later down the line (which I don't know why they would do, since GEM is even more competitive than undergrad med, but each to their own I suppose.)

However, it sounds like your heart is set on dentistry. It sounds like both you and your parents aren't on the same page for your passion. I wouldn't recommend graduate entry- it's way harder to get in. If you think your parents will be willing to listen to reason, maybe explain how it's best for you to take a second gap year and apply with a better UCAT score, than struggle through GEM, which they can't fund anyway? If your parents are worried about success, tell them that taking a second gap year will statistically be the most likely way for you to achieve your dreams.

Hi, Thank you for your advice! it is genuinely a struggle especially with so many obstacles..
and I hear that GEM applicants end up getting places in undergrad instead of grad level (+ most don't get places at all) simply bcuz of how hard they r on GEM students and the competition.
keeping this in mind taking another gap year is easier said than done..i feel like everyone is moving on with their life at uni and progressing etc and I am still at home, this gap year was hard enough on my mental health idk if I can endure another one.
I feel like I am going to do some more research on biomed even tho I know it isn't a good option, and probably focus on boosting my A levels
I also have this fear of flopping my UCAT again and getting all rejections so idek...
Sorry for the rant and again thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by TheDumbOne #1
Hi, Thank you for your advice! it is genuinely a struggle especially with so many obstacles..
and I hear that GEM applicants end up getting places in undergrad instead of grad level (+ most don't get places at all) simply bcuz of how hard they r on GEM students and the competition.
keeping this in mind taking another gap year is easier said than done..i feel like everyone is moving on with their life at uni and progressing etc and I am still at home, this gap year was hard enough on my mental health idk if I can endure another one.
I feel like I am going to do some more research on biomed even tho I know it isn't a good option, and probably focus on boosting my A levels
I also have this fear of flopping my UCAT again and getting all rejections so idek...
Sorry for the rant and again thank you for the advice :smile:

No problem! :smile: As for biomed research, if you have any doubts, feel free to PM me your questions and I'll do my best to answer! I'm currently holding offers for biomed as well, so if you have any questions on the application process too, I can help! :biggrin:

Best of luck again! :smile:
No problem! :smile: As for biomed research, if you have any doubts, feel free to PM me your questions and I'll do my best to answer! I'm currently holding offers for biomed as well, so if you have any questions on the application process too, I can help! :biggrin:

Best of luck again! :smile:

Hi,
Thank you for your help :smile:
What do you want to do after you get your biomed degree - I heard that there are a lot of interesting jobs related to biomed
Hi,
Thank you for your help :smile:
What do you want to do after you get your biomed degree - I heard that there are a lot of interesting jobs related to biomed

No problem! :biggrin: I'm honestly not sure yet- I'm looking into research, or maybe the R&D sector of the pharma industry, or even medical writing!
So I got bad in my a levels forcing me to resit. I applied for the first time this year to dental schools and got straight rejections cuz of a weak UCAT. Now I am focusing on getting the highest possible in my A levels but I am really anxious about what I am going to do. My parents are against a second gap year even getting them to let me have the first one took a lot of convincing and so I am looking into biomed which ik very competitive very hard to get into but what other choice do I have?

I wanted to do clinical sciences at bradford but I don't qualify for widening participation so i can't do the transfer after first year scheme. - I also don't even think they did dentistry.

I was looking into Leicester and their transfer after the first year into med school scheme seems extremely competitive but i was thinking of doing something like micro biology which interests me and then trying to go ahead go onto first year med the following year.
But then again this is for Med school and I am ASSUMING its the same for dentistry i have looked into so many unis and I can't seem to find a biomed to dentistry transfer course ANYWHERE.

I also don't want to end up doing grad entry dentsitry bcuz I won't be able to fund it on my own and my parents said they wouldn't be able to support me at that time and in their eyes I will most likely be a failure bcuz I couldn't get into uni the first time around and will finish dental school much older (which isnt a bad thing at all it's just they put a hell of a lot of pressure on me and I would LOVE for them to get off my back)

I am truly in conflict.

newcastle university has a transfer from biomed to dentistry but it is really competitive. i think there are only 2 spots available per year.
(edited 1 year ago)

I am truly in conflict.

Hi @TheDumbOne #1

As @the.euphrates said, at Newcastle University, students studying on one of our Biomedical Science and Biomolecular Sciences programmes may be eligible to apply to transfer to Stage 1 of our Medicine and Surgery MB BS (A100) or Dental Surgery BDS (A206) programmes after their first year of study.

Details about the transfer route are provided to students during a lecture in their first year. Further information can be found on the Transfer Guide.

Students will be selected based on academic performance in the first year, their UCAT score, a personal statement and, if shortlisted, an interview.

This is a very competitive route onto our MB BS and BDS programmes, with only a limited number of places available each year.

Students will need to provide evidence of their UCAT score at the time of application. Scores must be achieved within two years of commencing stage 1 of the Bioscience degree programme. Details on how to register and sit the UCAT can be found at: http://www.ucat.ac.uk. It is a student’s individual responsibility to have a UCAT score ready at the time of transfer application.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott

I am truly in conflict.

Hi, I'm currently on my 2nd gap year and don't know the result yet but it could go either way 😬😂. I'd say it's worth it but the most important thing is you do something right now. It will be a long year until your reapplication so make sure you do something whether it is getting a decent paying job and working full time or getting a dental nurse qualification. These experiences will also give you lots to talk about the interview. To summarise don't waste 3 years of money on a degree for something you dont actually want to do.

Why is it competitive

Quick Reply

Latest