The Student Room Group

Possible to reuse personal statement on ucas for a different subject?

Last year I wrote my personal statement for dentistry, then last minute had to change to biomedicine due to predicted grades so I used my original dentistry personal statement but switched the dental parts to biomedicine but they are generally the same. After getting my A-Level results I can apply to dentistry again. All the universities I'm applying to dentistry this year I applied for biomedicine last year. Would I have to write a completely new personal statement or would it not matter that my biomedicine personal statement from last year is going to be similar to my dentistry one this year? I would preferably not like to rewrite my dentistry personal statement as last year I had it checked by many people including an actual dentist whereas this year I won't be able to have anyone check.
If you’re reapplying to the same universities then they’ll have access to both PSs.
It’s not going to do you any favours if they see that large parts of your PS have the same content with the degree subject substituted. And to be frank if you could substitute the degree subject then you probably should rewrite it anyway as you don’t seem to understand your chosen subject well or demonstrate any real enthusiasm for it.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you’re reapplying to the same universities then they’ll have access to both PSs.
It’s not going to do you any favours if they see that large parts of your PS have the same content with the degree subject substituted. And to be frank if you could substitute the degree subject then you probably should rewrite it anyway as you don’t seem to understand your chosen subject well or demonstrate any real enthusiasm for it.

The only reason they were similar were due to my work experience in volunteering in a various range of medical environments, due to having talked about the technical and medical aspects of it alongside communication which I had thought last year was also relevant to biomedicine. I am a bit confused, I thought the people checking my personal statements if I were to apply to dentistry would be those working in the oral health department surely? Rather than those working in the biomed/medical department. I messaged UCAS and they said it was fine but now I'm concerned because if what you are saying is correct, does that mean they had seen I had applied last year to biomed, and would they assume I don't have real enthusiasm for dentistry (despite the fact I was only applying to biomed at the time because I wanted to study dentistry afterwards).
Reply 3
Original post by FH0
The only reason they were similar were due to my work experience in volunteering in a various range of medical environments, due to having talked about the technical and medical aspects of it alongside communication which I had thought last year was also relevant to biomedicine. I am a bit confused, I thought the people checking my personal statements if I were to apply to dentistry would be those working in the oral health department surely? Rather than those working in the biomed/medical department. I messaged UCAS and they said it was fine but now I'm concerned because if what you are saying is correct, does that mean they had seen I had applied last year to biomed, and would they assume I don't have real enthusiasm for dentistry (despite the fact I was only applying to biomed at the time because I wanted to study dentistry afterwards).

Don’t worry about I’m sure that won’t be the case. I doubt all the Universities will read both of your personal statements anyways, just the one you send in because they’ll be receiving many others aswell. I would say try switch up your personal statement a little and you can write the reason that you did biomed when you talk about past education, then go on to talk about how enthusiastic you are about dentistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending