The Student Room Group

Hate my course and uni, what should I do?

I currently study at Bangor university and I hate it, there's nothing to do, it's near nothing, and I've made no friends here at all and the few I have are all leaving. Furthermore, the course I take (Zoology) is also horrible. I asked to switch but after the uni faffed about for so long, it was deemed too late for me to switch. Now I'm stuck at a uni I dislike doing a degree I hate. I don't know what to do.
I want to drop out but I'm afraid I will regret not having a degree in the future but then I'm conflicted as zoology isn't exactly a required degree. I'm really not enjoying it here and I'm starting to be affected by this mentally and it's becoming really stressful however I do not want to make any decisions I will regret in the future. Also, the finances change next year which I fear will make uni too expensive for me to switch and continue. Can someone please advise me?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think that there's any point in staying. If the course was different and then maybe you would think about staying, but in this case, there's no point staying. If there is nothing that you want to do with Zoology then why stay? But then you have to ask yourself. What do you want to do? If you dropped out, would you apply to university again and do a different course? You could still go down the apprenticeship route. Whatever you decide to do, do it fast because time flies. You're still young, so it's not too late to change your career. However, we can't dictate your career choices as we don't know what you like and what your interests are.
That’s completely fine. U can take a year out to reapply to unis u want to go to and courses you want to study. Uni isn’t for everyone and if u feel u don’t need it to do what u want then go for it- I know u will do amazing regardless what u do.
Original post by jagjag
I currently study at Bangor university and I hate it, there's nothing to do, it's near nothing, and I've made no friends here at all and the few I have are all leaving. Furthermore, the course I take (Zoology) is also horrible. I asked to switch but after the uni faffed about for so long, it was deemed too late for me to switch. Now I'm stuck at a uni I dislike doing a degree I hate. I don't know what to do.
I want to drop out but I'm afraid I will regret not having a degree in the future but then I'm conflicted as zoology isn't exactly a required degree. I'm really not enjoying it here and I'm starting to be affected by this mentally and it's becoming really stressful however I do not want to make any decisions I will regret in the future. Also, the finances change next year which I fear will make uni too expensive for me to switch and continue. Can someone please advise me?

Drop out and apply else where I did that and it was the best decision I ever made I took a job and saved up enough so I could do fun stuff uni like Skiing festivals and the like. I was saying stuff like "unis hard" trying to avoid saying "I hate it" when everybody was saying how's uni my aunt and uncle asked on the 28th of December and i was just like "I hate it I just want to drop out", and no one believed me. So on the Sunday night before term started they dropped me back in what I now think of as my cell. I dropped out that very week (on the Wednesday) after speaking to my tutor.

I called my parents and told them I had decided to leave they believed me this time and they couldn't have been more supportive. They came all the way down from Excel where they were doing an exhibition to Portsmouth they picked me up and took me home. I was so happy (relived). My Dad gave me a job and I earned a bit of money. In the end I went to Solent at 21 as a mature student and had a great time and gained an honours degree. Your not dropping out for good just until you decide to go back(at another university) if indeed you choose to.
Original post by jagjag

May I ask what you dislike so much about your zoology degree? I applied for the BSc. Zoology with Marine Zoology course at Bangor and am now a little worried if it was the right choice 🥲 what are your plans for the future job-wise?
Original post by jagjag

Hello @jagjag

I hope you're well, but I can see that you're currently in a very stressful situation. Try and make a pros and cons list for the reasons staying at university to study Zoology and also try to see the benefits of studying Zoology, apart from it allowing you to have a degree, as sometimes that does not guarantee a good career / future afterwards. University having a toll on people's mental health is quite common, try and see if your university offers any free counselling or therapy services to help this.

It does sound like you're leaning more towards dropping out, especially in views of the upcoming financial strain. You have to ask yourself, is it worth it studying a degree you don't like? You may find you have more friends outside of university and you might also find a new interest or job which you actually enjoy doing. Put yourself first, always! :smile:

Best of luck,
Jade :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it! I’ve dropped out now and have applied for uni again later this year :smile:
Reply 7
The degree was nothing like I expected and was super hard, we changed topic every 2-3 lectures and were expected to remember everything in so much detail. Also the topics I found interesting were hardly covered so I didn’t enjoy it in that sense either.
We did biweekly tests to see what we’ve learnt but all the answers were ridiculously hard that every single person I knew, including my self couldn’t even answer them from our notes and had to look up every single answer too which felt like a waste of time. If you’re willing to really dedicate yourself to the degree and think that Zoology really is what you want to do though, then I say go for it!

I think what really put me off the degree as a whole was actually Bangor. The place is in the middle of nowhere, near nothing. The nearest city is about 2 hours away on train which is costly. As for day and night life, all there is are just 2 night clubs which as someone who doesn’t like clubbing, isn’t great. Mine and my friends’ idea of a day out was just going to the other side of town to go to Tesco which shows how little there is. The nature is nice but gets really boring after a while. As someone from near London, it was the worst downgrade I could have imagined, it really is another world.

Furthermore, even within a few weeks of the course I was constantly being told how hard it was it get into Zoology as a career and decided it wasn’t what I wanted, especially considering how hard it was to achieve, I’m still unsure what I want to do as a job but I know it’s no longer within that field of jobs, so I guess it’s really depending on how decided you are on your choice.

I hope this helps a bit, this was just my experience as I am from a big city, and was unsure of my choice of degree so it does depend on your situation. If you have anymore questions then please do ask! :smile:

Original post by AtropaBelladonna
May I ask what you dislike so much about your zoology degree? I applied for the BSc. Zoology with Marine Zoology course at Bangor and am now a little worried if it was the right choice 🥲 what are your plans for the future job-wise?
Original post by jagjag
The degree was nothing like I expected and was super hard, we changed topic every 2-3 lectures and were expected to remember everything in so much detail. Also the topics I found interesting were hardly covered so I didn’t enjoy it in that sense either.
We did biweekly tests to see what we’ve learnt but all the answers were ridiculously hard that every single person I knew, including my self couldn’t even answer them from our notes and had to look up every single answer too which felt like a waste of time. If you’re willing to really dedicate yourself to the degree and think that Zoology really is what you want to do though, then I say go for it!

I think what really put me off the degree as a whole was actually Bangor. The place is in the middle of nowhere, near nothing. The nearest city is about 2 hours away on train which is costly. As for day and night life, all there is are just 2 night clubs which as someone who doesn’t like clubbing, isn’t great. Mine and my friends’ idea of a day out was just going to the other side of town to go to Tesco which shows how little there is. The nature is nice but gets really boring after a while. As someone from near London, it was the worst downgrade I could have imagined, it really is another world.

Furthermore, even within a few weeks of the course I was constantly being told how hard it was it get into Zoology as a career and decided it wasn’t what I wanted, especially considering how hard it was to achieve, I’m still unsure what I want to do as a job but I know it’s no longer within that field of jobs, so I guess it’s really depending on how decided you are on your choice.

I hope this helps a bit, this was just my experience as I am from a big city, and was unsure of my choice of degree so it does depend on your situation. If you have anymore questions then please do ask! :smile:

This is interesting. Bangor is one of m student's offers for Marine Biology. We also live in a London Borough and all my kids have enjoyed our proximity to Central London and what it has to offer, so your experiences on the change of "scenery" will be worth baring in mind.

If its OK to ask - what have you gone for for next year? Good luck !
Reply 9
Did you not go to Bangor before starting the degree? I'm amazed that young ones get caught out like this in terms of the town/nightlife etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jagjag

The changes to student finance don't change the cost of uni, it just means you will repay your student loans for longer. However you only repay them if you earn over the threshold, and you only repay a proportion of your income. It just means that what is effectively a tax is even more so. It still gets written off after 40 years and there is no up front cost to you.
If this is how you feel then honestly don't waste anymore time. Sack it off immeditately and just take some time out and work a brain dead meaningless job for a while so you can think about what you'd like to do in the future. I did exactly that. I was like you, stuck at a shite uni (university of hull) hated the course (they even got rid of said course a year after I dropped out, says it all) and hated my living situation above all else.

I gave it a serious go then dropped out in second semester. Went back to my dead end hometown and worked minimum wage bar jobs and retail jobs etc and realised I had to do something with my life. Went back to uni and completed a degree in archaeology at the University of Sheffield. Loved it, made good connections and had a few archaeology jobs lined up, covid hit and messed all of that up. Fastforward 2 years later now here I am in Taiwan teaching and studying for my MSc TESOL at the University of St Andrews. Life is unpredictable but at the same time do try to make a path for yourself, it will come to you in good time I'm sure
Original post by jagjag

Hi @jagjag

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. Have you tried arranging a meeting with your personal tutor? I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you, and I think you need to be honest with how you are feeling? Also, have you tried joining the Zoology society? This might help you enjoy the course more and make many new friends. Also there are over 150 clubs and societies to choose from, again another great way of meeting new people.

Also, it might be worth having a chat with someone from our student services team:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/student-life/support

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Sera :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by MadMathsMum
This is interesting. Bangor is one of m student's offers for Marine Biology. We also live in a London Borough and all my kids have enjoyed our proximity to Central London and what it has to offer, so your experiences on the change of "scenery" will be worth baring in mind.

If its OK to ask - what have you gone for for next year? Good luck !

Hiya! I’ve reapplied for Modern Languages at Bristol, Southampton, Portsmouth, Surrey and Royal Holloway, so quite a change aha, but all of which are a fairly easy distance to London.

I’d say if your student is 100% committed to the degree, is willing to make the trek there and spend much time out there as going to and from from London is extremely expensive and tiring then it is worth it I’d say. I say this because if I remember correctly, Bangor is one of the only university which their own boat vessel which students can use for research within their degree.

Hope this helps a bit!
Reply 14
Original post by gjd800
Did you not go to Bangor before starting the degree? I'm amazed that young ones get caught out like this in terms of the town/nightlife etc.

I had been to Bangor before but because it’s about a 5 hour drive from where I’m from, and we went and left in the same day so overall I only got to spend around 3 hours there and didn’t get to explore much. In the way of accommodation and shops, proximity to the university and scenery everything was nice, but I had never thought of looking into day/night life there unfortunately.
Reply 15
Original post by angelofessence
If this is how you feel then honestly don't waste anymore time. Sack it off immeditately and just take some time out and work a brain dead meaningless job for a while so you can think about what you'd like to do in the future. I did exactly that. I was like you, stuck at a shite uni (university of hull) hated the course (they even got rid of said course a year after I dropped out, says it all) and hated my living situation above all else.

I gave it a serious go then dropped out in second semester. Went back to my dead end hometown and worked minimum wage bar jobs and retail jobs etc and realised I had to do something with my life. Went back to uni and completed a degree in archaeology at the University of Sheffield. Loved it, made good connections and had a few archaeology jobs lined up, covid hit and messed all of that up. Fastforward 2 years later now here I am in Taiwan teaching and studying for my MSc TESOL at the University of St Andrews. Life is unpredictable but at the same time do try to make a path for yourself, it will come to you in good time I'm sure

Thank you so much for this! I’ve dropped out now and living back home. I am struggling to find a job at the moment as there’s nothing happening but I’ve reapplied to unis close to home and/or have much to do! Before I started uni I did want to change course to Languages possibly and now I know that’s what I want to do so I really hope things will go great!

I’m so glad to hear that everything went well for you and ended it great, I really hope the same happens for me aha
Hi there!

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a tough time this year at Bangor. Degrees take a lot of hard work and time so if you're not completely passionate and motivated by the course or city, it can be really difficult to stick it out. I think you've made a wise decision calling it a day and trying something different if it's been a struggle on your mental health, as at the end of the day, your health should always come first, and it's a long time to stick something out that is making you feel so unhappy.

I'm really happy to see that you have reapplied to university to study Modern Languages! I'm a current French and Spanish student at the University of Surrey and have loved every second of the degree. We have such an interesting array of modules including translation, sociolinguistics, tefl, history and culture, professional purposes, etc. and all my classes have been super engaging. The languages department at Surrey is quite small and there your class sizes will vary between maybe 6-25 depending on your module choices, which gives us a great chance to tailor the classes to our style and preference. It's also ideal as the lecturers really get to know us on a personal level, which can be really reassuring throughout the degree and makes the classes really fun as most of the time we are just have a laugh and joke while getting on with the class. We are also assigned a personal tutor who will check in regularly throughout uni.

In terms of placement year, Surrey are insanely knowledgable and have amazing partnerships with companies and universities around the world so you'll be able to find a great placement that really suits you. Our lecturers also visit us on placement year to chat to our bosses and make sure we are happy while abroad. The classes that we do as part of our semester abroad don't count towards our final grade at Surrey either which means we can enjoy the year abroad to the fullest and not worry too much about hitting those high marks. The placement year was the best year of my life and im sure you'll enjoy it too!

If you have any more questions about Modern Languages at Surrey, or uni life here, please do let me know as I'd love to chat more! Also, if you want to visit on an applicant day or an open day, here's some more info: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/offer-holders-2023-entry/events Our next events are on the 15th and 29th of March.

Best wishes,
Alice
Final year languages student
Original post by jagjag
Original post by jagjag

I was considering doing Zoology with Primatology at Bangor but what you’ve said is giving me second thoughts about it. I’m currently doing a private a-level in Biology and I’m finding it hard, if Zoology is as hard as you say then I fear the course might be too much for me.
Original post by jagjag

omg this is me, im on zoology in John Moores, an im realy not enjoying it. what course are you doing next year?
Original post by __Orangutan__
I was considering doing Zoology with Primatology at Bangor but what you’ve said is giving me second thoughts about it. I’m currently doing a private a-level in Biology and I’m finding it hard, if Zoology is as hard as you say then I fear the course might be too much for me.

im studying zoology in LJMU, for me ours isn't hard, I did Biology Alevel and im doing fine, obviously all unis are different, but personally im not finding it too hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending