The Student Room Group

Should I transfer uni's?

So I've been studying Film and TV at Solent since September now and while I've made friends and have enjoyed living on my own I always feel like I chose a bad course and could of gone to a better uni. So far I've done three modules and while I've enjoyed parts of these I'm worried waisting my time and could of learnt more and gained more opportunities in the future by studying at a better uni which isn't helped by the fact most of my class aren't enthusiastic about the course. And while I would drop out or transfer I don't want to lose the friends I made and I fear about the cost. Plus I haven't been honest with my parents about the course and would have to explain to them why I'm suddenly transfering. Am I just overthinking things and would it just be better to stick with the course or should I consider transfering to a supposedly better uni?
You can apply to transfer and make a decision whether to stay or leave next August.
Applying doesn’t affect your place on your current course
You may find that your transfer options are limited to places that don't really inspire much enthusiasm, (or conversely that you find one or two that you are buzzing about which do seem encouraging). I'd encourage you to reach out to a few ASAP and try and get an application in prior to Jan 26th.

Have a read of the Transfer FAQ.
Reply 3
Original post by JackNorris516
So I've been studying Film and TV at Solent since September now and while I've made friends and have enjoyed living on my own I always feel like I chose a bad course and could of gone to a better uni. So far I've done three modules and while I've enjoyed parts of these I'm worried waisting my time and could of learnt more and gained more opportunities in the future by studying at a better uni which isn't helped by the fact most of my class aren't enthusiastic about the course. And while I would drop out or transfer I don't want to lose the friends I made and I fear about the cost. Plus I haven't been honest with my parents about the course and would have to explain to them why I'm suddenly transfering. Am I just overthinking things and would it just be better to stick with the course or should I consider transfering to a supposedly better uni?

There are much better courses that give you better opportunities of getting work experience and into the industry.
Original post by JackNorris516

Hello @JackNorris516, I am a recent graduate from the University of Salford but originally attended a different University after I had left college. I just wanted to say I fully understand your situation, I did not enjoy the course I was doing at my first University and I knew right away that I might have made a mistake and in the end I decided to drop out.

However, I am not telling you to do the same because everyone's situation is unique. The advice I would give is to listen to what your gut is telling you to do. When I was first thinking about dropping out I made a list of the pros and cons of the decision and really thought (and sometimes overthought) about whether I should drop out or not. In the end I knew deep down in my gut what the right decision was and followed what I thought was right for me. So all I can offer is that you do the same for yourself.

I can tell you that there is support out there for whatever decision you do make so I'd also suggest that you look into finding that support. At the end of the day it is a big decision to make but it is your life and your choice so do what will make you the happiest.

Listen to your gut

I hope this helps
Matthew
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending