The Student Room Group

Transferring to another Biomed course at another uni

So I’m a first year biomed student at Anglia Ruskin uni, I’ve been getting decent grades but hoping to improve them during the second semester as I was hoping to transfer to another university in london as my family lives here. I moved from London to Cambridge at the start of the academic year but I moved back because Cambridge was too small and other than the education there was nothing to do. Jobs were also very limited and horrible pay. I am not going into my second semester, but I’m commuting from London and I don’t drive which will be too expensive for me. And even if I drive, my uni doesn’t have any parking. I wish I could start my second trimester (which is next week) at a london university as my situation is an emergency, but if not, was hoping to continue to the second year of my course here in london.
I was unable to do anything as the were closed for weeks due to Christmas and new year which slowed the process down for me. Does anyone know much about these kind of things, I’m struggling on where to start and how the process will be. Really stuck rn :frown:, I know KCL and imperial college london and other universities allow students into their Second year of biomed but the grades but the college and GCSE grades would have had to be high and mine weren’t (I got ppp (pass) in everything). This of course puts me down a little bit but I’m doing the best I can and would really appreciate some help.
Original post by RoseTaei
So I’m a first year biomed student at Anglia Ruskin uni, I’ve been getting decent grades but hoping to improve them during the second semester as I was hoping to transfer to another university in london as my family lives here. I moved from London to Cambridge at the start of the academic year but I moved back because Cambridge was too small and other than the education there was nothing to do. Jobs were also very limited and horrible pay. I am not going into my second semester, but I’m commuting from London and I don’t drive which will be too expensive for me. And even if I drive, my uni doesn’t have any parking. I wish I could start my second trimester (which is next week) at a london university as my situation is an emergency, but if not, was hoping to continue to the second year of my course here in london.
I was unable to do anything as the were closed for weeks due to Christmas and new year which slowed the process down for me. Does anyone know much about these kind of things, I’m struggling on where to start and how the process will be. Really stuck rn :frown:, I know KCL and imperial college london and other universities allow students into their Second year of biomed but the grades but the college and GCSE grades would have had to be high and mine weren’t (I got ppp (pass) in everything). This of course puts me down a little bit but I’m doing the best I can and would really appreciate some help.

You should check with each university to which you might want to transfer to see what their criteria are and what the process is.

For example, King's make it clear here that one of the transfer criteria is that "You have met the standard first year entry requirements for the course (such as A-levels or equivalent)". Given that their standard BTEC entry requirements for Biomedical Science BSc are "BTEC/CTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma with overall grade DDM and two A levels at AA", your PPP isn't going to work.

Imperial say here that, "Students who are already enrolled at another university either in the UK or overseas should either apply as a visiting student or should contact our Admissions team about opportunities to transfer." However, I'm sure that they will again require that you meet their standard entry requirements for the course you are attempting to transfer into. It's not clear to which Imperial course you would be seeking to transfer, but the standard entry requirement for Biomedical Technology Ventures BSc suggest that a BTEC "is not accepted for entry to this programme."

So, step one would be to pick a specific university to which you wish to transfer - where you meet the entry requirements.
Mid year transfers aren’t possible in the UK.

If you want to switch in September then you need to get a wiggle on to get your UCAS application in (with a reference from ARU) before the January deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending