Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Science extended degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’m currently doing the science extended degree and for those who are interested in this degree, I will provide a description of the course.
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bear in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirements initially at college.

Hi. I applied through clearing and I have been offered an interview next week and an assessment to complete I was given a handbook. I am nervous as I don’t know what the questions are gonna be like the difficulty of the questions. I am required to complete the assessment in the university irs 40 minutes. Could you let me know if you did the assessment and let me know how it was was the questions hard/ straight forward was it gcse type questions?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by 18stariq
Hi. I applied through clearing and I have been offered an interview next week and an assessment to complete I was given a handbook. I am nervous as I don’t know what the questions are gonna be like the difficulty of the questions. I am required to complete the assessment in the university irs 40 minutes. Could you let me know if you did the assessment and let me know how it was was the questions hard/ straight forward was it gcse type questions?

when and how did u apply? clearing doesnt open til 17th
Reply 22
Original post by yanan69.corm
when and how did u apply? clearing doesnt open til 17th

I applied on 8th august through clearing on ucas. And they got back to me 3 days later.
Original post by Rue.j
Can I get a WhatsApp group link where I can interact with other students in this field?

lmk too
Reply 24
Original post by yanan69.corm
lmk too

Please let me know too thank you

Hi what were the questions like I have my interview soon
Reply 26
Original post by Aaminah 09
Hi what were the questions like I have my interview soon

Hi. My interviews this Saturday! Not sure what the questions and assessment is like but it’s gcse maths equivalent. If you drop me a message on dm I can text you on WhatsApp so we can discuss!

Good luck !!
Hi I’m currently doing the science extended degree and for those who are interested in this degree, I will provide a description of the course.
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bear in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirements initially at college.

Hey you sed you’ve applied for more of the competitive courses, what would make you stand out compared to the rest of your peers? (I’ve also applied fir this course x)
Reply 28
how did it gooo
Hi. My interviews this Saturday! Not sure what the questions and assessment is like but it’s gcse maths equivalent. If you drop me a message on dm I can text you on WhatsApp so we can discuss!

Good luck !!
Original post by haaafi
how did it gooo

have you done your interview? what kind of questions did they ask on the written assessment
Reply 30
Mine’s tomorrow! Do you reckon they’d just ask general questions and not course specific ones
Original post by Aaminah 09
have you done your interview? what kind of questions did they ask on the written assessment
Reply 31
[QUOTE="Anonymous;97935488"]Hi I’m currently doing the science extended degree and for those who are interested in this degree, I will provide a description of the course.
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bare in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirements initially at college.[/QUOTE

I heard that you will be interviewed after achieving 70%. How does that work? Is it a harsh one
Original post by Mb13094
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bare in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirements initially at college.[/QUOTE

I heard that you will be interviewed after achieving 70%. How does that work? Is it a harsh one

Hey would you recommend doing an access course vs the SED foundation year??
Original post by Mb13094

So far no SED student who has progressed onto pharmacy or optom has gone through an interview. They only mention the interview if so many ppl get 70% which has never happened before so I don’t think u should worry about that.
Reply 34
Wow that’s a relief! Also would you say that it’s difficult to get 70% if you’re continuously on top of it and if I did get it do you reckon other unis would take me on for the optom course if Huddersfield didn’t :smile:
Original post by Mb13094
Wow that’s a relief! Also would you say that it’s difficult to get 70% if you’re continuously on top of it and if I did get it do you reckon other unis would take me on for the optom course if Huddersfield didn’t :smile:

Nobody I know who’s progressed to optom this year got 70% obviously they’re ppl who got 70 but a lot of ppl end up getting 65-69% overall including me. As long as u get 70 in required modules you should be fine and it’s not that hard getting 70 in requires modules cos half the maros come from coursework like doing online quizzes which u can do as many times as u want until u get a high score which was really helpful in boosting my grade, and then half the marks come from final examinations. Honeslty if u keep on track with everything you will be fine. Oh and u can enquire at other unis cos I do know a couple of ppl who asked other unís and they accepted it.
Nobody I know who’s progressed to optom this year got 70% obviously they’re ppl who got 70 but a lot of ppl end up getting 65-69% overall including me. As long as u get 70 in required modules you should be fine and it’s not that hard getting 70 in requires modules cos half the maros come from coursework like doing online quizzes which u can do as many times as u want until u get a high score which was really helpful in boosting my grade, and then half the marks come from final examinations. Honeslty if u keep on track with everything you will be fine. Oh and u can enquire at other unis cos I do know a couple of ppl who asked other unís and they accepted it.

how are the online quizzes?? Are they usually relevant to what you’ve been learning, are they hard even once you’ve revised efficiently

Is there anyway i can contact you, i have questions regarding the course

How are the physics modules? I'm kind of worried as I haven't done physics for A-level and was wondering it was similar to A-level physics or AS physics?
Original post by Anonymous #1
The course is intense, in my opinion it is like A-levels. There’s a lot of different modules, ranging from the sciences to essay skills and even office skills (using Microsoft excel etc). There’s also a decent amount of lab work. I’d recommend to stay on top of it from the start (make your notes from the start). You have plenty of opportunities to gain marks from quizzes and lab reports so take advantage of that. Try to start assignments early because then you can even request feedback since most people leave assignments till the last minute. You also have to do 1/2 presentations where you perform in front of your tutorial group (around 30 people) but it’s not too bad you only speak for around 2 minutes. There are 250+ people in my course and the places for optometry and pharmacy are limited so I’d advise to speak to admissions tutors about the places available for upcoming years as they are subject to change. Bare in mind, you are paying £9k, and may even take out a maintenance loan, so unless you are serious don’t waste your time and money on this course. I think it’s a good opportunity and a second chance if you didn’t meet the requirements initially at college.

Is it hard how hard would you say it is to achieve 70or 80%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending