The Student Room Group

Welsh Centres who accept private candidates for A2 Resits?

Just found out the welsh centre I was supposed to be doing my Biology and Chemistry resits with can no longer submit WJEC entries (I'm a private candidate). I'm a little stressed out because the deadline for entries is so soon and none of the few centres who do A level science resits are either full/ not getting back to me. Does anyone have any advice on who to contact regarding this (I've tried every welsh centre on the JCQ list plus I can't sit exams at an English centre as WJEC Edquas is different and I have to sit 4 exams plus practice instead of just A2 exams and prac)- I didn't expect that this could be an issue but can't stop worrying about it and its affecting interview prep and general revision badly.
Original post by saraj937
Just found out the welsh centre I was supposed to be doing my Biology and Chemistry resits with can no longer submit WJEC entries (I'm a private candidate). I'm a little stressed out because the deadline for entries is so soon and none of the few centres who do A level science resits are either full/ not getting back to me. Does anyone have any advice on who to contact regarding this (I've tried every welsh centre on the JCQ list plus I can't sit exams at an English centre as WJEC Edquas is different and I have to sit 4 exams plus practice instead of just A2 exams and prac)- I didn't expect that this could be an issue but can't stop worrying about it and its affecting interview prep and general revision badly.

Try the WJEC they will probably have a list. Where in Wales are you living.
Reply 2
WJEC don't unfortunately- they only have one for the 2021 CAG which doesn't apply anymore. I'm in Cardiff but willing to travel.
Original post by swanseajack1
Try the WJEC they will probably have a list. Where in Wales are you living.
(edited 1 year ago)
WJEC don't unfortunately- they only have one for the 2021 CAG which doesn't apply anymore. I'm in Cardiff but willing to travel.

I have just checked Gower College Swansea they use WJEC for A level Chemistry and Biology. It might be worth a call. Their A level exams will be held in Goreinon which is outside Swansea a coupe of miles off junction 47 of the M4. Others you could try slightly nearer are Bridgend College or Neath Port Talbot College. There might be others worth trying nearer you. The only suggestion I can make is take ring around.
Reply 4
I've contacted most places in Cardiff prior to schools closing for holidays and every place has said they can't cater for private candidates except one that I'm waiting on. I was actually supposed to do my resits at a centre in Swansea before they cancelled on me- Brigend college unfortunately the same but I have contacted Gower and Neath however they do not mention any procedures regarding resit candidates on their sites so it might be a long shot- I'll let you know when I hear back from them.
I have just checked Gower College Swansea they use WJEC for A level Chemistry and Biology. It might be worth a call. Their A level exams will be held in Goreinon which is outside Swansea a coupe of miles off junction 47 of the M4. Others you could try slightly nearer are Bridgend College or Neath Port Talbot College. There might be others worth trying nearer you. The only suggestion I can make is take ring around.
Reply 5
I just emailed coleg gwent and I've actually contacted everyone that the site lists already and no success :frown:. I'll update when I hear back from them!
Original post by George&Mary44!
Coleg Gwent might be worth asking in Cwmbran at their Torfaen site.

Also might be some useful info here.

https://he-exams.fandom.com/wiki/Wales
I just emailed coleg gwent and I've actually contacted everyone that the site lists already and no success :frown:. I'll update when I hear back from them!

Maybe it is because of the practicals and unable to mark them. Could you possibly register somewhere as a student for the year. Just a suggestion.
Reply 7
It was a main worry but with practicals I could do that component with any centre England or Wales- its unit 3 and 4 which are written that have to be in a welsh centre. If a centre was okay to do all- which would be ideal that's what I'm looking for but so far I haven't had anyone who's willing to just do written either. What sucks is schools are so strict with who they accept its almost impossible unless you enrol to resit exams unless you completed your A levels the year before which isn't my case. Unfortunately I don't have the time to register for a whole year anymore- but I might look into places that are still accepting students thank you x
Maybe it is because of the practicals and unable to mark them. Could you possibly register somewhere as a student for the year. Just a suggestion.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey! Any updates on where you sat your exams as a priv. candidate. I need to do Chem and Bio again and im looking for a centre that offer prac exams aswell. Im from cardiff.
(edited 8 months ago)

Hey, I have read your reply about swansea collage but I dont know how to reply on TSR (new to it). It will cost me £3000 as i need to resit chem and bio. Any other recommendations for me?
Original post by Squiblleeess
Hey, I have read your reply about swansea collage but I dont know how to reply on TSR (new to it). It will cost me £3000 as i need to resit chem and bio. Any other recommendations for me?

How about Gower College or Neath Port Talbot COlleges group or oneof the schools in the area
Reply 11
Unfortunately the only other school I found that allows practical resits costs £1100 monthly (For 2 subjects and you have to attend as a part time student to resit pracs) which from sept to June will cost over £10k. I did it this way as at that time Swansea College didn't have the option of doing WJEC pracs but now they do and it is by far cheaper although you don't have any support teaching wise.

The only way I funded my resits was by working 24 hours a week in a hospital as a medical secretary and while it was hard to manage working with studies I wouldn't recommend unless you absolutely have to.

I tried basically every college within South Wales that had a history of accepting private candidates as I was incredibly desperate and the main issue is that normal schools are not willing to have a private candidate do pracs with them when they haven't taught them at any point but are happy to do written papers. It might be worth giving a call to the colleges @swanseajack1 suggested, however when I enquired they were unable to help. I know some colleges require students to have studied both years of A levels with them but it is worth asking. Hope this is helpful.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
Try private schools, I know some in cardiff do external candidates.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hey! Any updates on where you sat your exams as a priv. candidate. I need to do Chem and Bio again and im looking for a centre that offer prac exams aswell. Im from cardiff.

Hi, have you found a centre to sit your exams in? If so what centre?
Reply 14
Original post by mediccomeback
Hi, have you found a centre to sit your exams in? If so what centre?

Hi have you found an exam centre?

Latest