The Student Room Group

Choosing a University

Would you choose a university based on how nice their merchandise is? Like the hoodies, stickers, etc the student union sells? I have always wanted a university hoody.

Note you have your offers in and you just can't decide which university is best, because they are all good. Distance of commute, course accreditation, and even student satisfaction ratings are similar.
No, that would literally be the last reason I would ever consider choosing a uni.
Reply 2
I was thinking of it not as much as a choosing factor, but an elimination factor once the serious foundational choices have already been made.
Honestly I personally wouldn't consider it at all, but then again I'd also not be the type to buy any of that stuff anyway.

Pretty sure you can also just walk into any SU shop and buy whatever they're selling as well. Plus pretty much all of them use the exact same companies to manufacture their merch and so it all looks much the same anyway aside from being in that university's colour scheme.

Really a non-factor for me. There are so many other things to differentiate between unis on I can't imagine there every being a scenario where two unis were truly equivalent in all other respects except their SU merch.
Reply 4
I might have been overly influenced by my American cousins who have their chosen university stuff displayed proudly wherever they are.
Original post by Aufbau
Would you choose a university based on how nice their merchandise is? Like the hoodies, stickers, etc the student union sells? I have always wanted a university hoody.

Note you have your offers in and you just can't decide which university is best, because they are all good. Distance of commute, course accreditation, and even student satisfaction ratings are similar.

Hi there

I personally wouldn't consider this when deciding on a uni. A lot of uni merch is designed and produced by the student union so designs can vary every year. If you're struggling to decide which uni you want to go to, i would highly recommend attending offer holder open days or arranging a private visit. In my opinion the best way to get a real feel of a uni is to physically go there and see if you can imagine yourself living and studying there. Other factors that you might not have looked into is how close supermarkets are, what the city/town is like for post graduate jobs, student reviews, accommodation options etc. Wherever you go, I have no doubt that there will be merchendise. Remember that you will be at that uni for a minimum of 3/4 years so you will most likely have access to a wide range of merch designs throughout the years. Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
- Uni of Kent Rep :smile:
Original post by Aufbau

No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending