The Student Room Group

Games and Concept Art Choices

Hello, I would like some advice on choosing a course and university from the three that I have been offered a place on.

For a bit of context, I have a fairly clear idea of what career path I would like to take, and have chosen the courses that I applied to accordingly. I am interested in becoming a 2D character concept artist and character splash art illustrators for video games, so I have applied to games art and concept art courses.

The courses and universities that I have received offers for (all unconditional) are as follows:

Game Art - De Montfort University
Games Art & Design - Norwich University of the Arts
Comic and Concept Art - Leeds Arts University

If anyone could provide some insight into which course and university would best help me on my career path, I would greatly appreciate it. I was thinking that one of the two game art specific courses would aid me more in gaining connections into the game industry, but I do like that the course at LAU specifically addresses concept art. Overall, I would like to choose the course and university that would allow me to gain both the skills and connections in the game industry to advance my goals in my planned career path.
Hi,

In my experience, working as a character concept artist in the games industry doesn't require a gaming specific degree, particularly for 2D art.

Because your first position as a concept artist won't necessarily be in the games business, regardless of which degree you choose, as well as because of what I noted above, I'd suggest choosing as versatile a degree as possible.

Considering all that, as much as I'd love to recommend NUA first and foremost of these, given that it was where I earned my degree, I'd suggest LAU over either of the others.

Anyway, feel free to message me again if you've got any more questions.

- Lucy
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lalleighette
Hi,
In my experience, working as a character concept artist in the games industry doesn't require a gaming specific degree, particularly for 2D art.
Because your first position as a concept artist won't necessarily be in the games business, regardless of which degree you choose, as well as because of what I noted above, I'd suggest choosing as versatile a degree as possible.
Considering all that, as much as I'd love to recommend NUA first and foremost of these, given that it was where I earned my degree, I'd suggest LAU over either of the others.
Anyway, feel free to message me again if you've got any more questions.
- Lucy

Hey...
I'm planning to pursuing masters in computer game design and got offer from staff university. you have any suggestion for me

Quick Reply

Latest