The Student Room Group

What happens if I get predicted a low Alevel grade, but end up getting AAA?

So, my internal exams are in march, and these results go to unis. I am getting really low grades right now, and I am convinced I am going to get predicted low as well. What happens if I get really low, and universities don't accept me because of this, but then for the real A-level exams, I get really high grades. Will the uni's then accept me, or will they not even consider my application since i was predicted low.

What would be my next steps?

I'm just trying to prepare myself, since I haven't been doing so well trying to study for A-levels. I used to get 8's and 9's in high school, and now I am pretty much failing nearly all my classes. I have hope that maybe this is just the beginning, and I will improve, but the exams are literally in 2 months and I don't know what to do.
So a lot of unis will look at your predicted grades as an indicator of whether to offer you a place making the exams you do to get those predictions quite important.

However options are as following;

1. You apply to unis that don’t look at predicted grades or have heavy focus on things like gcse results.
2. You don’t apply at all this year. Wait for your results then take a gap year and apply alongside your gap year with your already achieved grades so your offers will be unconditional.
3. Apply this year to unis that fit the predicted grades you have, then on results day reject them if you don’t want them, see what’s in clearing and then basically option 2 if nothing in clearing tickles your fancy.

I would be very careful though, a levels are a completely humbling experience going from GCSEs. It’s not as simple as ‘I used to get 8s and 9s and now I’ll get AAA’ the beginning of a levels is the easy stuff and in all honesty if you are struggling to grip that it’s going to be a rocky ride going forwards. Improvement won’t just come, you are going to have to spend hours everyday studying outside of class to see any effective change.
You either receive aspirational offers from your Uni choices, IE. Higher than your predicted grades. If you meet your offers, great.

OR

You don’t get any offers and shop around in Extra or Clearing

OR

You take a year out and apply with achieved grades next cycle.

Unless your predictions are really bad I would still strongly advise applying the first time around.
I just want to thank you so much!!! I didn't even know that I even had the option to not apply this year. I'll look into unis that don't prioritise A-level grades.
I have definitely realised it is a huge step up from GCSE, and I am now just getting the hang of actually revising. I know 2 months is a short time, but I'm beginning to relearn all the content that I never fully learnt from September to now. Thank you again!!
Original post by Pink turtles
I just want to thank you so much!!! I didn't even know that I even had the option to not apply this year. I'll look into unis that don't prioritise A-level grades.
I have definitely realised it is a huge step up from GCSE, and I am now just getting the hang of actually revising. I know 2 months is a short time, but I'm beginning to relearn all the content that I never fully learnt from September to now. Thank you again!!

This is what I was told at my college so I'm not sure if it will apply.
Teachers have to consult you before finalising their preditive grade that is sent to the university/submitted to UCAS. If you need an A in a subject that a teacher has predicted a C you can explain that you need the A to be able to apply to a certain university and that you will work really hard to achieve it. Basically, I was told that teachers give an initial predicted grade but if you need it bumped up to allow you to apply to a University you are looking at then they can't say no. Again, this was what my college said, I don't know if this applies everywhere. Would be worth talking to your subject teachers about it
Original post by Pink turtles
So, my internal exams are in march, and these results go to unis. I am getting really low grades right now, and I am convinced I am going to get predicted low as well. What happens if I get really low, and universities don't accept me because of this, but then for the real A-level exams, I get really high grades. Will the uni's then accept me, or will they not even consider my application since i was predicted low.

What would be my next steps?

I'm just trying to prepare myself, since I haven't been doing so well trying to study for A-levels. I used to get 8's and 9's in high school, and now I am pretty much failing nearly all my classes. I have hope that maybe this is just the beginning, and I will improve, but the exams are literally in 2 months and I don't know what to do.

Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teachers and possibly explaining your situation and seeing what they will say or recommend. You can just take a gap year and then apply next year instead.
What is your current revision method? Do you make notes and do practice questions? Practising answering questions and looking at how you can improve is the key to start scoring higher.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
My school have said no negotiations allowed :frown:
But I did my mock now, and I think I may be able to retake if I failed any. Other schools around me are doing it in may, so i find it unfair how mine were in march. I'm revising often these days, so hopefully I'll be prepared.
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teachers and possibly explaining your situation and seeing what they will say or recommend. You can just take a gap year and then apply next year instead.
What is your current revision method? Do you make notes and do practice questions? Practising answering questions and looking at how you can improve is the key to start scoring higher.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Yeah, I feel like a gap year is the most sensible thing to do rn, but I'll have to see what the school predict me. I don't know until september of this year.

I'm using flashcards, and am reviewing them a lot these days, so that's helping. Exam questions are also what I've been doing. I've also heard of blurting, so I'll try that out.

Thank you for the reply!
Reply 8
Original post by Bilbocat24
This is what I was told at my college so I'm not sure if it will apply.
Teachers have to consult you before finalising their preditive grade that is sent to the university/submitted to UCAS. If you need an A in a subject that a teacher has predicted a C you can explain that you need the A to be able to apply to a certain university and that you will work really hard to achieve it. Basically, I was told that teachers give an initial predicted grade but if you need it bumped up to allow you to apply to a University you are looking at then they can't say no. Again, this was what my college said, I don't know if this applies everywhere. Would be worth talking to your subject teachers about it

Hi, I'm back. I did end up applying, I applied just yesterday, which was really late. Applied for foundation years, and along side that, I also am waiting out in clearing. And my teachers don't even predict you one grade higher than you are at, let alone 2 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest