The Student Room Group

Can you go to uni to study maths, law, dentistry and medicine with btec?

Don't ask me why so many degree options.

My cousin says "you can still go uni with BTEC, I would do a BTEC, some of my friends are at Russell group unis"
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anony345533
Don't ask me why so many degree options, just answer the original question.

My cousin says "you can still go uni with BTEC, I would do a BTEC"

Could you actually be any more unnecessarily rude?
Original post by Reality Check
Could you actually be any more unnecessarily rude?

How's that rude?
How's that rude?

Pretend there is someone in front of you who you don't know, but might be wiling to help you. Read the first sentence of your OP out aloud, as if you're addressing him or her.

Do you see now?
Original post by Reality Check
Pretend there is someone in front of you who you don't know, but might be wiling to help you. Read the first sentence of your OP out aloud, as if you're addressing him or her.

Do you see now?

I don't really see it as being rude. I'm just saying in case anyone asks me why so many degree options.
I don't really see it as being rude. I'm just saying in case anyone asks me why so many degree options.

So why have you edited your original post to remove the 'just answer the original question part' then? nevermind...

I won't derail your thread any longer.
😂🤣🤣 who goes to uni to study 3 degrees ?
Original post by DO16_DNE
😂🤣🤣 who goes to uni to study 3 degrees ?

He-Man villain Man-E-Faces was reputed to have done this.
Original post by Admit-One
He-Man villain Man-E-Faces was reputed to have done this.

??

My cousin says "you can still go uni with BTEC, I would do a BTEC, some of my friends are at Russell group unis"

Maths degrees require A-level Maths (and sometimes Further Maths) or equivalent. I doubt you would find a BTEC covering the equivalent maths content so probably not an option. However if you did maths and/or FM with a BTEC as your third choice then you may well be considered by many unis.

Law probably will consider BTEC applicants at some unis, but not necessarily all unis (you most likely could rule out Oxbridge/LSE/similar). Medicine and dentistry I believe do not generally accept BTECs, because a) they normally formally require 2 science A-levels, often specifying A-level Chemistry and/or A-level Biology) and b) it may not be generally suitable preparation for the academic scope of the course.

Following from that, it's worth bearing in mind all of those degrees are formally academic courses, and a BTEC is not a formally academic qualification - it's designed as a vocational or applied qualification. Therefore the point of the BTEC is not to prepare you for those kinds of degrees in the first place (and hence, those subjects would probably be less likely to accept BTECs).

You should choose the options that specifically prepare you (and prepare you well) for the degree option(s) you wish to pursue at uni. In the cases above, you would generally find traditionally academic A-level subjects (or equivalent e.g. IB) likely to be better preparation to the degree, and hence widely accepted.

Also those are vastly different courses and for at least two of them (medicine/dentistry) you need to be very aware of the challenges facing the profession and to be very committed to it. If you're just randomly picking those along with other subjects as you have, it makes it fairly clear your primary draw is due to perceived prestige or remuneration (or both) which are not really good reasons to pursue either medicine or dentistry (and more to the point, you will probably find quickly the pay is not as eye wateringly high as you hoped, especially given the demands of the job - not to mention the prestige of medicine at least seems to be diminishing every day in the eyes of the public).
(edited 1 year ago)

Naerly all universities accept BTECs. There are a couple that dont. For things such as Medicine most wont accept you without A levels because the depth of science you study is not as great as an individual science. Whether a university would accept you with A level Chemistry pleas a BTEC in Applied Science I dont know.T #here is more deatiled knowledge in the Medicine forum. Ask the question there.

As far as non science courses most universities including RG accept them. Check the individual entrance requirements for more information.
Original post by swanseajack1
Naerly all universities accept BTECs. There are a couple that dont. For things such as Medicine most wont accept you without A levels because the depth of science you study is not as great as an individual science. Whether a university would accept you with A level Chemistry pleas a BTEC in Applied Science I dont know.T #here is more deatiled knowledge in the Medicine forum. Ask the question there.

As far as non science courses most universities including RG accept them. Check the individual entrance requirements for more information.

I have taken the Exeter requirement for Maths. You need Maths A level in addition to your btec.
BTEC DDD Applicants studying a BTEC Extended Diploma will also require GCE AL Maths grade A
Original post by swanseajack1
I have taken the Exeter requirement for Maths. You need Maths A level in addition to your btec.
BTEC DDD Applicants studying a BTEC Extended Diploma will also require GCE AL Maths grade A

As far as Law is concerned Bristol amongst others accept BTECs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending