The Student Room Group
University of York
York

ADHD, autism and dyslexia support

Hi I have a offer to study Environmental Geography at York in 2023.

I want to know about the ADHD, autism and dyslexia support available? And the opinions of it from a student perspective.

Is support easily accessible? Are they accommodating? Are there peer groups available? Are there mentors/counsellors available to talk to regularly and support you? What can you use your DSA for? What support can you access on a student support plan?

This is kind of my deciding factor between unis so I'm curios to know as much as I can. Thanks
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to study at York!

We offer a range of support for students, most of this begins with setting up a student support plan. Rather than repeating what's written on our webpage, here are some helpful links to check out:

- Find out more details of how to set up a student support plan and the support York offer.
- Support with dyslexia and other learning difficulties

It also could be worth contacting Disability Services via their email address ([email protected]) to find out more about the support available at York.

The other thing you can do is apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). On our offer holder Instagram page (@uoy_offerholders2023) we have a post about how to apply for DSA - drop us a follow to check this out.

In terms of getting the student perspective, here are a couple of blogs written by autistic students at York, which hopefully you'll find helpful!
- Freshers' week as an autistic student
- My experience starting university: an autistic student's perspective

I hope this helps! - Hannah :smile:
University of York
York
I'm a deferred student (so ive yet to attend but have a place) but throughout the applicant process (im to be an EE engineering student) they were nothing but accommodating and even allowed me to visit out of open day and see their facilities (I also have a condition that causes fatigue and with some other events earlier in the year led to their Wednesday open days being an issue). I have been to both Birmingham and Nottingham campuses as well but at neither did I feel as comfortable at than York. It is very open campus and I if I had to stay on campus all year I wouldn't feel too bad about it (I struggle to go to places so going into York itself is a massive thing for me). I've also been talking to disability services (a bit earlier than most, I've had to for the arduous process of getting my assistance dog on campus) and so far they've been okay, I should have a proper sit down chat with them next month. It's definitely a huge step for me and with how I've been treated so far I would say I'm in safe hands.

Disabilities for context: (Autistic, suspected ADHD, fibromyalgia, anxiety, OCD)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending