The Student Room Group

French A-level for Architecture?

I want to study architecture at uni and my target schools are Cambridge, UCL, and Bath.
I will take Math and Art for sure but I can't decide what to choose for the third subject.
I'm considering Further math or French.
I'd love to do French because I love the language and I already learned it up to DELF B1 level, but I'm not sure how it will be considered a relevant subject choice for architecture.
Most people do physics but it's not my favorite subject. I would rather do further maths.
Is it ok to do French just because I want to learn the language? Or would choosing something else like physics or geography increase my chances of getting into top unis?

Scroll to see replies

If you are already doing Maths and Art then you should be fine with doing a language. You taking it isn't going to disadvantage you as long as your aren't native in it. Also you won't be rejected just because you took a language. Plus I am pretty sure universities much prefer Further Maths as a 4th A level not a 3rd - as they like variety in your subjects. FM isn't nessesary at all for Architecture as well. Don't take Physics if you don't like it, It's not worth getting a worse grade.
Reply 2
Thanks for your answer. French isn’t my native language but I used to live in France for four years and went to language school there not for regular school, i went to an international school taught in English. Would this be a problem?
Which subject do you think you’re most likely to get a high grade in while still having free time to develop your portfolio?

Your grades and portfolio quality impact your choices for architecture much more than your subject mix.
Original post by venaluamov
I want to study architecture at uni and my target schools are Cambridge, UCL, and Bath.
I will take Math and Art for sure but I can't decide what to choose for the third subject.
I'm considering Further math or French.
I'd love to do French because I love the language and I already learned it up to DELF B1 level, but I'm not sure how it will be considered a relevant subject choice for architecture.
Most people do physics but it's not my favorite subject. I would rather do further maths.
Is it ok to do French just because I want to learn the language? Or would choosing something else like physics or geography increase my chances of getting into top unis?

"Most people do physics..." - no that's not true.

For architecture, the vast majority of degree courses do not specify specific subjects for entry. However, you have stated that you want to apply to Cambridge and Bath, which are two of the five unis that do specify subjects: some Cambridge colleges require maths or physics or an essay-based subject; Bath prefers maths and/or physics plus art/design. So, as long as you research the requirements for specific Cambridge colleges, you will be fine with art, maths and French.
Thanks for your answer. French isn’t my native language but I used to live in France for four years and went to language school there not for regular school, i went to an international school taught in English. Would this be a problem?

Absolutely not.
(edited 1 year ago)

FM or Physics.

With Maths as your only STEM subject your appication wont compete with those do have this.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Which subject do you think you’re most likely to get a high grade in while still having free time to develop your portfolio?

Your grades and portfolio quality impact your choices for architecture much more than your subject mix.

I think that would be FM but if unis want to see the variety, i’m not sure if it’s a wise choice as a 3rd subject.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
FM or Physics.

With Maths as your only STEM subject your appication wont compete with those do have this.

FM as a 3rd subject makes sense?
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
"Most people do physics..." - no that's not true.

For architecture, the vast majority of degree courses do not specify specific subjects for entry. However, you have stated that you want to apply to Cambridge and Bath, which are two of the five unis that do specify subjects: some Cambridge colleges require maths or physics or an essay-based subject; Bath prefers maths and/or physics plus art/design. So, as long as you research the requirements for specific Cambridge colleges, you will be fine with art, maths and French.

Colleges i’m interested in at Cam doesn’t require physics so i think it’s fine on paper, but their statistics show around 50-60%(i don’t remember the exact number) of successful candidates did physics. I felt like they may prefer those who did physics, but maybe i’m wrong.
Colleges i’m interested in at Cam doesn’t require physics so i think it’s fine on paper, but their statistics show around 50-60%(i don’t remember the exact number) of successful candidates did physics. I felt like they may prefer those who did physics, but maybe i’m wrong.

I feel like loads of people who want to do Architecture have the Art, Maths, Physics combination so it makes sense why so many have Physics. Subject combination honestly doesn't matter nearly as much as your Portfolio/Interview/Grades. Just do what you feel you would get a better grade in. I do Physics A level and it's quite difficult. You will pretty much guanteed a fail if you don't revise. If you have no motivation to revise because you don't like the subject, you are screwed.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
I feel like loads of people who want to do Architecture have the Art, Maths, Physics combination so it makes sense why so many have Physics. Subject combination honestly doesn't matter nearly as much as your Portfolio/Interview/Grades. Just do what you feel you would get a better grade in. I do Physics A level and it's quite difficult. You will pretty much guanteed a fail if you don't revise. If you have no motivation to revise because you don't like the subject, you are screwed.

Thanks, my feeling towards physics is complicated. i think i would be able to get A but i’m not confident about a*. That said i’m not confident about french a* either but it’s a language i’d like to master, just because i like it. However, french won’t be useful at all as an architecture student. On the other hand, physics would be a bit of a torture to get a*, but i feel like as an architect, you do need to know quite a lot about physics, don’t you? At the end of the day it’s a discipline that can’t ignore the laws of gravity. I feel like it’s a barrier that i do need to overcome somehow and maybe the a-level is a good chance for that. Am i thinking too ideally about a-level? Should i just choose what would most likely maximize my scores? No Cambridge/UCL interviewers would question why i didn’t do physics?
Thanks, my feeling towards physics is complicated. i think i would be able to get A but i’m not confident about a*. That said i’m not confident about french a* either but it’s a language i’d like to master, just because i like it. However, french won’t be useful at all as an architecture student. On the other hand, physics would be a bit of a torture to get a*, but i feel like as an architect, you do need to know quite a lot about physics, don’t you? At the end of the day it’s a discipline that can’t ignore the laws of gravity. I feel like it’s a barrier that i do need to overcome somehow and maybe the a-level is a good chance for that. Am i thinking too ideally about a-level? Should i just choose what would most likely maximize my scores? No Cambridge/UCL interviewers would question why i didn’t do physics?

A Level Maths has Mechanics so you don't need to be worried about that aspect.Yes, Physics is very relevant to the degree but studying it isn't a requirement. If it was, universities would be making it an entry requirement. Don't pick an A level just solely based on the fact you think it will maximise your chances. Unless the data was displaying like 95% of applicants who got offers had Physics, don't feel pressured to take it. They won't question you either as long as you meet the requirements. If you make it to the interview stage anyways, your subject combination is clearly good enough. You seem to overthink a lot. You need to calm down a bit:yep:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
A Level Maths has Mechanics so you don't need to be worried about that aspect.Yes, Physics is very relevant to the degree but studying it isn't a requirement. If it was, universities would be making it an entry requirement. Don't pick an A level just solely based on the fact you think it will maximise your chances. Unless the data was displaying like 95% of applicants who got offers had Physics, don't feel pressured to take it. They won't question you either as long as you meet the requirements. If you make it to the interview stage anyways, your subject combination is clearly good enough. You seem to overthink a lot. You need to calm down a bit:yep:

Haha i see thanks a lot for your advice!

UCL doesn’t even prefer maths or physics. They select on portfolio not subject mix.

French is absolutely fine for architecture if you think you’ll enjoy it.

Architecture is a DESIGN based degree and career. It isn’t engineering. You don’t need physics (and won’t normally need any maths more advanced than GCSE).
(edited 1 year ago)

My son studies architecture and the maths involved has been very low level (GCSE) and there isn't much of it. He did maths, physics and geography A levels - he has found that the geography content has been the most relevant to his course (sustainability, sense of place, etc). Don't feel forced into taking physics - it really isn't necessary. Around 50 unis offer architecture degrees - only three ask for maths or physics.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by normaw
My son studies architecture and the maths involved has been very low level (GCSE) and there isn't much of it. He did maths, physics and geography A levels - he has found that the geography content has been the most relevant to his course (sustainability, sense of place, etc). Don't feel forced into taking physics - it really isn't necessary. Around 50 unis offer architecture degrees - only three ask for maths or physics.

Thanks for sharing. Wasn't it just two -- Cambridge and Bath? UCL doesn't require maths or physics afaik.
Original post by PQ
UCL doesn’t even prefer maths or physics. They select on portfolio not subject mix.

French is absolutely fine for architecture if you think you’ll enjoy it.

Architecture is a DESIGN based degree and career. It isn’t engineering. You don’t need physics (and won’t normally need any maths more advanced than GCSE).

I see. Does UCL care a lot about grades? Is portfolio the only thing they care?
I see. Does UCL care a lot about grades? Is portfolio the only thing they care?

The grades are I believe a tick box to make sure you meet the standard offer requirements; thereafter I think the portfolio is the overriding concern. UCL is also well known to be very "art-y"/conceptual as an architecture course, so that would make sense.

Thanks for sharing. Wasn't it just two -- Cambridge and Bath? UCL doesn't require maths or physics afaik.

I think Strathclyde did require one or the other, although that may have changed. I don't think Cambridge formally requires it for all colleges, although individual colleges may require one or the other.

Strathclyde is the other uni that requires maths or physics for architecture.

Edit: sorry - just seen that artful_lounger replied about this.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending