The Student Room Group

Choices for university -UCAS

Hi,
I’ve applied for computer science to: lancaster, loughborough, imperial, ucl and southampton
I do not want to apply for lancaster as my 5th choice, as it is too far. I dont know what other uni i should substitute it for? Please list some unis, and describe how the lectures and uni is like if possible please
PS. not applying to King’s
Grades: A*A*A and dont do FM or CS as alevel
Original post by stan shinee
Hi,
I’ve applied for computer science to: lancaster, loughborough, imperial, ucl and southampton
I do not want to apply for lancaster as my 5th choice, as it is too far. I dont know what other uni i should substitute it for? Please list some unis, and describe how the lectures and uni is like if possible please

Bath?
Where do you live - ie. where is too far?

Bath, Liverpool, Cardiff, Birmingham?
Original post by McGinger
Where do you live - ie. where is too far?

Bath, Liverpool, Cardiff, Birmingham?

I live in London, Ideally a uni that is less than 3 hours away and has a good reputation
Original post by Muttley79
Bath?

How are the lectures like?

Can you ask when you visit? It has a brilliany placement reputation.

Nobodys going to have that much info on lecturers.. I take it you have A level Maths or you will be very restricted. Use the Complete University guide. That will help. In terms of not too far from London. Look at Cardiff, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Warwick, Nottingham. Look at city and campus videos made by students and decide.
I live in London, Ideally a uni that is less than 3 hours away and has a good reputation

Hi @stan shinee

Whether you want to stay close to home or are looking for somewhere a bit further away is completely a personal choice, and all of the other suggestions for you which have been made here are great options:smile: As a Lancaster student who’s originally from the south, I thought I’d just share my experience of going to uni a bit further away.

It’s definitely worth nothing that while Lancaster is quite far from London, it actually has really good train links (Euston to Lancaster in 2 1/2 hrs on a fast train). While train strikes at the moment can make this a little bit more unpredictable, I have still been able to get up and down when I’ve needed to. As I write this I am actually on the train on my way back from a weekend at home!

For me I was really excited about going somewhere new and the adventure of moving away from home, but that didn’t mean I didn’t ever have moments of homesickness. I also have friends who were a little more apprehensive. This is something every student who lives away from home will experience at some point regardless of how far away you are. Lancasters set up as a campus uni with a collegiate system helped me feel like part of a wider community and helped with feeling more at home. I also had the comfort of knowing that my college and the uni had support systems in place that I could access if I needed.

While travel expenses are important to consider, I think one of the most important factors in deciding on unis to apply for is whether you would be happy living in that city. If you feel happy and safe, and are enjoying your degree and extra curricular activities, it won’t matter how far away from home you are!

Good luck with you applications:smile:
Yasmin (Lancaster student ambassador)
Hi,

Hiya! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster also from London! As Yasmin has said, the train from London Euston to Lancaster is only 2 and a half hours on a straight train. I won't repeat all the things they've said but depending on your reason to stay closer to home, it might be worth having a look at our course page (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/) for the modules that are offered and to see if the Computer Science course at Lancaster interests you enough to veer further from home. The department has recently added a lot more optional modules and made improvements to the curriculum!

Best of luck for the future. If you have any questions at all about my experience at Lancaster, feel free to ask away!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster also from London! As Yasmin has said, the train from London Euston to Lancaster is only 2 and a half hours on a straight train. I won't repeat all the things they've said but depending on your reason to stay closer to home, it might be worth having a look at our course page (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/) for the modules that are offered and to see if the Computer Science course at Lancaster interests you enough to veer further from home. The department has recently added a lot more optional modules and made improvements to the curriculum!

Best of luck for the future. If you have any questions at all about my experience at Lancaster, feel free to ask away!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Thank you to the both of you.

I just want to know how the muslim community is like in Lancaster as a whole? Are there many places to eat at which are halal or is there a lack of such place? Thank you
One thing about the Computer Science at Lancaster University is that Lancaster has a more practical approach to computing than most big name unis. What I noticed was that all the theory modules except for Discrete Maths use computer code in the languages we are learning in the coding modules (but we don't have to code in those languages in the theory modules).

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Thank you :smile:
Just ended up getting an offer from your uni
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
One thing about the Computer Science at Lancaster University is that Lancaster has a more practical approach to computing than most big name unis. What I noticed was that all the theory modules except for Discrete Maths use computer code in the languages we are learning in the coding modules (but we don't have to code in those languages in the theory modules).

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending