The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Darwin College Accommodation - Frank Young House

Hi! I've been accepted at Darwin and have been allocated to a room at Frank Young House, which was not one of my preferred options. Because of COVID concerns, I wanted to stay in an ensuite room, but FYH does not have any. Moreover, I've been allocated to one of the most expensive rooms at FYH.

Can anybody who has stayed or is staying at FYH please tell me whether they've had a good experience or not? In addition, how likely is it for my room allocation to be changed if I ask the Accommodation Manager?

Thank you!
Original post by mvr28
Hi! I've been accepted at Darwin and have been allocated to a room at Frank Young House, which was not one of my preferred options. Because of COVID concerns, I wanted to stay in an ensuite room, but FYH does not have any. Moreover, I've been allocated to one of the most expensive rooms at FYH.

Can anybody who has stayed or is staying at FYH please tell me whether they've had a good experience or not? In addition, how likely is it for my room allocation to be changed if I ask the Accommodation Manager?

Thank you!

It's very normal (at every university) to be allocated a room that isn't of your preference. If there are financial concerns with you being able to afford FYH, then speak to the Accommodation Manager. Otherwise, they will have a long list of students wanting to change rooms just because they prefer a different one. But without much further reasoning the answer tends to be a no, in my experience. Your best bet would be moving into FYH and then seeing if anyone at the college is willing to swap with you.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by mvr28

Thank you!

Hi there,
Could you please tell me your experience at FYH? Why was it good/ bad? :smile:

Thanks in advance!
Merel
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
It's very normal (at every university) to be allocated a room that isn't of your preference. If there are financial concerns with you being able to afford FYH, then speak to the Accommodation Manager. Otherwise, they will have a long list of students wanting to change rooms just because they prefer a different one. But without much further reasoning the answer tends to be a no, in my experience. Your best bet would be moving into FYH and then seeing if anyone at the college is willing to swap with you.

Hi there,

Did you stay at FYH, or was your 'no' based on what the Accommodation Manager would do after asking to be appointed another room?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Hi Merel,

In the end, I didn't stay at FYH.

Initially, I accepted the room but was also added to a waiting list if any ensuite room freed up. The Acommodation Manager told me that was the wise thing to do. Otherwise, had I said no to the FYH room, I would have ended up without any College accommodation at all. Then, about three weeks later -late August- I was told an ensuite room had freed up at Mount Pleasant Halls and I took it.

I can tell you what I know from friends that stayed at FYH and from the few times I went there.
The pros

The rooms are bigger in comparison to rooms in other Darwin accommodation halls.

The kitchens are also bigger.

There are less rooms per level than in other Darwin accommodation, so you would share the toilet with less people. Can't remember which level has the least number of rooms.

The cons:

I've been told rooms are not very well lit, that is, not enough natural light comes in, though I would say the same about most rooms at Darwin accommodation.

Another thing I've been told is that it can be less social, you might not ran into people often. That could be both positive or negative depending on your personality and the time of the year, e.g., during exam periods you might appreciate the quietness.

If you've been allocated to FYH, I would recommend you take the room and ask if you can be added to a waiting list for a room of your preference. If you're deciding between College or private accommodation, I would strongly recommend College accommodation as it is cheaper.

Hope this helps and that you have a nice experience at Darwin!

Martin
Reply 5
Original post by mvr28
Hi Merel,

Initially, I accepted the room but was also added to a waiting list if any ensuite room freed up. The Acommodation Manager told me that was the wise thing to do. Otherwise, had I said no to the FYH room, I would have ended up without any College accommodation at all. Then, about three weeks later -late August- I was told an ensuite room had freed up at Mount Pleasant Halls and I took it.

I can tell you what I know from friends that stayed at FYH and from the few times I went there.
The pros

The rooms are bigger in comparison to rooms in other Darwin accommodation halls.

There are less rooms per level than in other Darwin accommodation, so you would share the toilet with less people. Can't remember which level has the least number of rooms.

The cons:

I've been told rooms are not very well lit, that is, not enough natural light comes in, though I would say the same about most rooms at Darwin accommodation.

Another thing I've been told is that it can be less social, you might not ran into people often. That could be both positive or negative depending on your personality and the time of the year, e.g., during exam periods you might appreciate the quietness.

If you've been allocated to FYH, I would recommend you take the room and ask if you can be added to a waiting list for a room of your preference. If you're deciding between College or private accommodation, I would strongly recommend College accommodation as it is cheaper.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for the fast response (and that even though your initial message was 2 years ago! Haha). Great to hear that you still got an ensuite room :smile:

This information helped me, thanks!

Kind regards,
Merel
Reply 6
Original post by mvr28
Hi Merel,

The pros

The cons:

Martin

Hi Martin,

Sorry, I have a follow-up question!

Do you know whether I need to bring my own kitchen supplies (glasses, pans, plates, cutlery)? In that case I can already bring some myself :smile:

Do you perhaps have any pictures of the kitchen/ communal room?

Thanks in advance (again!)

Merel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending