The Student Room Group

Should nurses be paid more?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
In an ideal world, yes. A hard and extremely valuable job. Conversely though, whom is going to pay?
Original post by Mess.
They had time to dance because not all nurses were on ICU/ventilation wards.

Quite a lot we’re on low intensity wards looking after people who couldn’t be released.

The dancing was absolutely pathetic and should never have been done/celebrated but it doesn’t take a genius to work out how there was time for certain nurses to do idiotic TikTok’s.

Low intensity? They were telling us hospitals were completely overwhelmed!

I had an argument about it with a nurse on twitter where I basically said I didn't believe they were that busy. She said I should come and see the covid ward with my own eyes. When I accepted and asked what time to show up, she changed her mind and said I couldn't do it. It was probably just a figure of speech rather than a genuine invitation but the sudden change made me very suspicious.
Reply 62
Original post by Megacent
Low intensity? They were telling us hospitals were completely overwhelmed!

I had an argument about it with a nurse on twitter where I basically said I didn't believe they were that busy. She said I should come and see the covid ward with my own eyes. When I accepted and asked what time to show up, she changed her mind and said I couldn't do it. It was probably just a figure of speech rather than a genuine invitation but the sudden change made me very suspicious.

Yes, those specific areas were overwhelmed and could not take more respiratory patients. Hospitals only have so much respiratory capacity that does not require 100% of staff.

There will be wards where there are long term patients in comas that require almost zero minute to minute to care. So yes, low intensity.

You obviously know that was a figure of speech, as it would have been illegal for you to attend the hospital for a little wander about.
Reply 63
Does anyone know the average salary for junior doctors compared to nurses?

I had a quick look and it appears that the average salary for a nurse is currently £35k and for a junior doctor it’s £34,790 so pretty similar.

I think many people would be surprised that on average nurses are paid the same as junior doctors, considering the difference in length of time studying and expectations/fallout if something goes wrong.
Original post by Mess.

I had a quick look and it appears that the average salary for a nurse is currently £35k and for a junior doctor it’s £34,790 so pretty similar.

I think many people would be surprised that on average nurses are paid the same as junior doctors, considering the difference in length of time studying and expectations/fallout if something goes wrong.

Wow... but source please?

In this case, maybe the nurses are being entitled jerks. They're being paid more than junior doctors for **** sakes.
Original post by Mess.

I’m more surprised that someone would try to make a comparison of average nurse salaries, which includes senior nursing roles, with junior doctors.

It is not a like for like comparison.
Reply 66
Original post by justlearning1469
Wow... but source please?

In this case, maybe the nurses are being entitled jerks. They're being paid more than junior doctors for **** sakes.

A combination of https://www.nhsemployers.org/system/files/2022-03/Pay%20and%20Conditions%20Circular%20%28MD%29%201-2022.pdf and https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/how-much-do-junior-doctors-make

As I said, it was a very cursory search, so was wondering if anyone knows if these figures are 100% true.
Reply 67
Original post by Crazed cat lady
I’m more surprised that someone would try to make a comparison of average nurse salaries, which includes senior nursing roles, with junior doctors.

It is not a like for like comparison.

Junior Doctors also includes people on salaries of up to nearly £60k, so again, whilst not an exact comparison due to senior nurses being on £100k+, it does seem a bit odd that nobody has any thoughts on the junior doctor pay.
Original post by Mess.
Junior Doctors also includes people on salaries of up to nearly £60k, so again, whilst not an exact comparison due to senior nurses being on £100k+, it does seem a bit odd that nobody has any thoughts on the junior doctor pay.

Junior doctors hitting close to £60k are around 8 years into their career and still essentially in a training phase of their careers.

Poor pay for junior doctors, working conditions, and doctor shortages, particularly of GPs, has been covered extensively in the quality press and trade magazines for years. The government is very much aware of the issue.

Just because there isn’t a thread on TSR, doesn’t mean people don’t have thoughts on the issue.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Mess.

who gets 100+??

Anyhow, we should concentrate the argument on those nurses (registered and non registered) being paid a miserable 19K a year that are working for 12 hrs doing the amount of work that would normally require 2 people. All because there is not enough staff.

I have lots of thoughts about junior doctors pay, but that is not what we are talking about here.
Reply 70
Original post by StriderHort
In reality I suspect meeting their demand in full would possibly be unworkable and NHS staff certainly aren't the only groups with valid demands for improvement, but I certainly think the Gov need to do a hell of a lot better than stonewalling, shifting blame and hiding impotently behind review bodies and at least meet them halfway. At the end of the day, if nurses are priced out of their housing and expenses, that's it, they go elsewhere to make ends meet and you end up with piles of unfilled vacancies, agency premiums and more cynical playing on staffs compassion to stress them to sacrifice and do more with less.

If we look at how much money is spent on agency staff .... a pay rise is certainly affordable and will provide better care.
Reply 71
Original post by anton31
who gets 100+??

Anyhow, we should concentrate the argument on those nurses (registered and non registered) being paid a miserable 19K a year that are working for 12 hrs doing the amount of work that would normally require 2 people. All because there is not enough staff.

I have lots of thoughts about junior doctors pay, but that is not what we are talking about here.

Band 9 is £95k-£110k, so I would assume someone is getting it?
Reply 72
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Junior doctors hitting close to £60k are around 8 years into their career and still essentially in a training phase of their careers.

Poor pay for junior doctors, working conditions, and doctor shortages, particularly of GPs, has been covered extensively in the quality press and trade magazines for years. The government is very much aware of the issue.

Just because there isn’t a thread on TSR, doesn’t mean people don’t have thoughts on the issue.

Why would I care about a thread on TSR?

In the wider media the sole focus on NHS pay is nurses, with all other salary aspects of the NHS sacrificed at this altar.
Reply 73
That is 1 or 2 people in a trust, plus they are not on the ward floor those people. They sit in the executives room.
Original post by Mess.
Band 9 is £95k-£110k, so I would assume someone is getting it?
Reply 74
Original post by anton31
That is 1 or 2 people in a trust, plus they are not on the ward floor those people. They sit in the executives room.

Yet they are still a nurse?

At what band do you stop counting the nurse as a real nurse?
Reply 75
Original post by Mess.
Yet they are still a nurse?

At what band do you stop counting the nurse as a real nurse?

I don't stop counting anything. Including chief executives' salaries only inflates the average wage, while the reality for those on the floor is very different.
According to the BBC, 42% of nurses are band 5 which is a minimum of 27k.

What we have here is another London problem, a lot of the others are in places where that wage shouldn’t leave them struggling.
Original post by Rakas21
According to the BBC, 42% of nurses are band 5 which is a minimum of 27k.

What we have here is another London problem, a lot of the others are in places where that wage shouldn’t leave them struggling.

That's an appalling salary for a job with awful working conditions that requires at least 3 years of training.
Reply 78
Original post by SHallowvale
That's an appalling salary for a job with awful working conditions that requires at least 3 years of training.

(Bear in mind I’m pay-rise positive)

The people who become nurses are well aware of the pay and working conditions but still sign up for the job.
Original post by Mess.
(Bear in mind I’m pay-rise positive)

The people who become nurses are well aware of the pay and working conditions but still sign up for the job.

And? The salary should still be higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending