The Student Room Group

Nursing and work uni

Hi there i really need help as i will be starting university this year and i would like to know if doing a nursing course i could manage a job 15 to 20 hours or if i am best off telling my manger that im leaving and stay on bank.

i Just dont knoiw about the money issues
Reply 1
Most student nurses I know are encouraged to enlist and work for NHS Professionals. They allow flexible working - I understand you can work hours to suit as a Healthcare Assistant during your nurse training (albeit you may be in something similar)

I think you just have to find out your Uni lecture days, and then placement commitments but little or no Summer break whilst training can be a pain.
Original post by Jordan dye
Hi there i really need help as i will be starting university this year and i would like to know if doing a nursing course i could manage a job 15 to 20 hours or if i am best off telling my manger that im leaving and stay on bank.

i Just dont knoiw about the money issues

To @Jordan dye

I hope you're well. I am a 3rd year student midwife, I left my part-time job when I first started at uni as I couldn't manage juggle them both, including the fact that my uni/placement rota and work rota clashed. I would advise you to have a discussion with your manager about your nursing course, wait until you get your timetable and see how you could work around it to fit with your part time job. I am now on the bank at the hospital that I train at, so that I can work shifts according to my availability which works with my uni schedule and allows me to get a little bit of money each month. It is normally the case that nursing students are able to be on the bank at the hospital they train at, to be a healthcare assistant as long as it is approved. You could also look into being a student ambassador at your university and see how those hours work, at Coventry we decide when we want to work, and there is no set rota which is perfect.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
To @Jordan dye

I hope you're well. I am a 3rd year student midwife, I left my part-time job when I first started at uni as I couldn't manage juggle them both, including the fact that my uni/placement rota and work rota clashed. I would advise you to have a discussion with your manager about your nursing course, wait until you get your timetable and see how you could work around it to fit with your part time job. I am now on the bank at the hospital that I train at, so that I can work shifts according to my availability which works with my uni schedule and allows me to get a little bit of money each month. It is normally the case that nursing students are able to be on the bank at the hospital they train at, to be a healthcare assistant as long as it is approved. You could also look into being a student ambassador at your university and see how those hours work, at Coventry we decide when we want to work, and there is no set rota which is perfect.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Sorry for the long response but thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending