The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Political Science is a good one. People go to law school from all sorts of backgrounds really..
Reply 2
Yeah, History is a big one, too. It doesn't matter terribly.
I would say Political Science, History or International Relations. It really doesn't matter much, they accept people with all sorts of under grad degrees. What you will have to do is to get involved with student government, my school has the ASUCD the Associated Student body at University of California Davis and a Senate that passes legislation for the school so get involved in that sort of thing as well as ace your LSAT.
English is a good major for prospective law students, too, as they expect you to have very good writing skills for law school.
Reply 5
Kettensägenmassaker
English is a good major for prospective law students, too, as they expect you to have very good writing skills for law school.

I sense some sarcasm here. :p:
HJV
I sense some sarcasm here. :p:

None at all, actually. American law schools are not very picky about what you do at undergrad as long as your grades are decent, you score well on the LSAT, and your writing is strong.
Reply 7
Kettensägenmassaker
None at all, actually. American law schools are not very picky about what you do at undergrad as long as your grades are decent, you score well on the LSAT, and your writing is strong.

Also, if you're applying to particularly prestigious unis for law then you also (ideally) need awards, honours degree (cum laude, summa cum laude - probably do an undergrad thesis to get them), active in some sort of politics (on the university, city, county, state or national level), and (of course!) some sort of volunteer work. Oh, also, work experience or interning at a law firm is a MUST - hopefully two placements (summer after ~60 credits and summer after ~90 credits)

Other major pluses in an application:
-being published in an undergrad journal (The Brown Journal of World Affairs, Harvard Political Review, etc...I only really know the political science and economics ones.)
-undergraduate research (I suppose this links in with the above, but you can also take part in a PhD candidate's or PhD's research which is always considered a plus: it's often thought that such research is only focused in the sciences but that is -absolutely- not true.)
-saving the world (when queried in the beginning of my degree how can I assure acceptance into Harvard Law, the advisor told me that 5 out of the 5 students who started their own philanthropic organisation got into Harvard Law :biggrin: )
-work experience in some sort of government institution

Obviously, as stated before, GPA, LSAT, writing must be great as well.
Reply 8
I've heard that philosophy is a good major for heading into law school.

Others would be political science, history, economics, international relations, and public policy.
Reply 9
People are right in saying that American law schools are not very picky in what you study in your undergraduate degree as long as you get good grades. That being said...the most important thing...and I am not being sarcastic, is that you pick a degree that involves a lot of writing that helps you become a good writer.

I personally studied philosophy and international relations as an undergraduate and I'm applying to law school in England. I think philosophy is one of the best degrees you can get because it already starts to get you thinking critically about arguments and you obviously do a lot of writing. I mean...if this helps, I could not have imagined doing my Oxford interview, and doing well on it, without a background in philosophy. The kind of questions they asked me, I had actualy thought a lot about already because they are issues brought up in philosophy.

So if you want my opinion, I would definitely go with philosophy...plus..its fun! :smile:

Good luck!

p.s. i would get a head start studying on your lsat if i were you.
Reply 10
east
i wnat to study law in the us and well i know that you can really do law at undergarduate level so what type of subjects should i do as an undergardate at the uni especially if i want to go to law schoool to
The most important factors in your application are your GPA and LSAT score. Other factors may be considered but usually only in marginal cases.

As others have said, any major will do. Basically, choose a major you like and can do well in. I know of one student who majored in Egyptology and graduated from the top of his law class at Columbia. Certain majors do produce people who score well on the LSAT, but I suspect quite a lot of self-selection is going on (i.e. people who choose to major in philosophy are the people who would likely do well on the LSAT anyway).

I'm rather put out that nobody has mentioned classics. It outperforms every major except linguistics in LSAT scores. :cool:
Reply 11
That's awesome (about classics). Latin is one of my favorite things ever.
DrAtomic
That's awesome (about classics). Latin is one of my favorite things ever.

Lucky, I took 4 quarters of Latin and it still kicks my ass three ways from Sunday :frown:
Reply 13
Kettensägenmassaker

This feels awkward, but I have to really agree with this 100 and 1%.

To the OP: visit this site http://www.top-law-schools.com/

Quality of Undergraduate Institution

Top Law Schools: How much does the quality of a student’s undergraduate institution greatly affect how his or her GPA is viewed? For example, is a student with a 3.8 from Stanford at much of an advantage when compared to a student with a 3.8 from a lesser school, holding all else equal?

Dean Tom: “Well, it is true that we look at the caliber and rigor of the undergraduate school for each and every applicant because we realize that some universities and programs are much more rigorous than others. Clearly if an applicant has a strong GPA from one of the great universities, then that says something about their academic potential. That being said, consideration of the applicant’s college and major are just some of the many things that go into the holistic review process we use.”

Choosing Undergraduate Field of Study

TLS: Choosing a field of study can be difficult for a student in their freshman and sophomore year of college. Are certain fields of study weighed more favorably than others by the admissions office?

Dean Tom: I think an applicant should major in what he or she is truly interested in. There isn’t any one particular undergraduate major we favor. I would encourage a person to major in something traditionally academic. The most common majors every year are the same -- political science, history, economics, philosophy, and English. Those are just always the most commonly represented, they are not majors we go out and seek. However, I do think these majors prepare people well for law school.”

TLS: I anticipate also that there are a lot of science majors at Boalt, because of the preeminent intellectual property program.

Dean Tom: “Yes, and in increasing numbers every year, all segments of engineering and science.”

TLS: Excellent. And is a double major viewed as a positive, or not that much of a positive?

Dean Tom: “In general, a double major doesn’t give you as many points as a lot of applicants think. But it depends on what the double major is. The byword here again is the applicant should go for the double major if that’s what they truly want to do. It shouldn’t be done just to get into law school.”

Source: http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html
Reply 14
ILIGAN
This feels awkward, but I have to really agree with this 100 and 1%.

To the OP: visit this site http://www.top-law-schools.com/

Quality of Undergraduate Institution

Top Law Schools: How much does the quality of a student’s undergraduate institution greatly affect how his or her GPA is viewed? For example, is a student with a 3.8 from Stanford at much of an advantage when compared to a student with a 3.8 from a lesser school, holding all else equal?

Dean Tom: “Well, it is true that we look at the caliber and rigor of the undergraduate school for each and every applicant because we realize that some universities and programs are much more rigorous than others. Clearly if an applicant has a strong GPA from one of the great universities, then that says something about their academic potential. That being said, consideration of the applicant’s college and major are just some of the many things that go into the holistic review process we use.”

Choosing Undergraduate Field of Study

TLS: Choosing a field of study can be difficult for a student in their freshman and sophomore year of college. Are certain fields of study weighed more favorably than others by the admissions office?

Dean Tom: “I think an applicant should major in what he or she is truly interested in. There isn’t any one particular undergraduate major we favor. I would encourage a person to major in something traditionally academic. The most common majors every year are the same -- political science, history, economics, philosophy, and English. Those are just always the most commonly represented, they are not majors we go out and seek. However, I do think these majors prepare people well for law school.”

TLS: I anticipate also that there are a lot of science majors at Boalt, because of the preeminent intellectual property program.

Dean Tom: “Yes, and in increasing numbers every year, all segments of engineering and science.”

TLS: Excellent. And is a double major viewed as a positive, or not that much of a positive?

Dean Tom: “In general, a double major doesn’t give you as many points as a lot of applicants think. But it depends on what the double major is. The byword here again is the applicant should go for the double major if that’s what they truly want to do. It shouldn’t be done just to get into law school.”

Source: http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

What did Stanford have to do with this?

We get you went to Stanford.

As to the OP, study what interests you for undergraduate, if you do truly wish to study Law in the U.S.

LSAT study may also be, as mentioned earlier, useful.

Latest

Trending

Trending