The Student Room Group

Can I just get a spare sim?

Hey all,

I got a new phone recently and have moved my sim into the new phone. I was thinking it would be handy to have a spare sim in my old phone just for emergencies. I wouldn't need any data on it, just the ability to send and receive texts.

Im bad with tech though. Can I just go to a supermarket and buy a sim without having to have a phone contract or top it up loads? Can I get then online? Do I need to activate it or anything? Would this give me a new number or keep the old one?

Thanks in advance!
Get a pay as you go sim - you can get them online, yes. If there is any activation needed, you will be guided through it (e.g. via texts) when yo put the sim in your phone. You get a new number with a new sim.
Original post by black tea
Get a pay as you go sim - you can get them online, yes. If there is any activation needed, you will be guided through it (e.g. via texts) when yo put the sim in your phone. You get a new number with a new sim.

Any recommendations? Can I get these in person too?
Original post by BenHigham2000
Any recommendations? Can I get these in person too?

Haven't used PAYG in years, sorry. Yes, you should be able to get them in person - pretty sure I have seen in them in Poundland, for example.
Original post by black tea
Haven't used PAYG in years, sorry. Yes, you should be able to get them in person - pretty sure I have seen in them in Poundland, for example.

But it shouldnt really matter what I get, they're all pretty much the same right? Especially if I dont plan on topping up much
Original post by BenHigham2000
But it shouldnt really matter what I get, they're all pretty much the same right? Especially if I dont plan on topping up much

The costs might be slightly different but yeah, if you are not going to be using the sim much, it probably doesn't matter which one you get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending