The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Any feedback on having a two semester system over 3 terms

My daughter is considering York Uni and I am concerned that she would be a Guinea pig for their new 2 semester system. Can anyone offer any thoughts/ feedback on the benefits of this system? I’m concerned there appears to be v little time for rest in between semesters, compared to the traditional 3 terms of 10 weeks, which would cause a lot more stress build up?! If it had been up and running for a few years I’d feel more confident but am wary of her suffering because of the transition.
To be honest most UK unis have a defacto 2 term system, as it's normally 2 full terms of teaching and then the third "term" is a short one with no teaching and just for exams normally. It's only really Oxbridge which routinely will have teaching in their third term, and their term is fully equal in length to the other two, unlike most other unis.

I think it's probably unlikely to make much difference. Their current plan is 11 weeks of teaching and 4 weeks of assessment (plus 1 week induction) which pretty much aligns with most other UK unis having a 2 term system (where usually there are 10-12 weeks of teaching, with maybe a reading week, plus then a couple weeks of assessment at the end of the term/start of the next term). Bear in mind the 4 weeks of assessment may not require the student to be resident during the whole time and presumably wouldn't have teaching.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
To be honest most UK unis have a defacto 2 term system, as it's normally 2 full terms of teaching and then the third "term" is a short one with no teaching and just for exams normally. It's only really Oxbridge which routinely will have teaching in their third term, and their term is fully equal in length to the other two, unlike most other unis.

I think it's probably unlikely to make much difference. Their current plan is 11 weeks of teaching and 4 weeks of assessment (plus 1 week induction) which pretty much aligns with most other UK unis having a 2 term system (where usually there are 10-12 weeks of teaching, with maybe a reading week, plus then a couple weeks of assessment at the end of the term/start of the next term). Bear in mind the 4 weeks of assessment may not require the student to be resident during the whole time and presumably wouldn't have teaching.

Thank you for your response, it is reassuring. She’s going to an offer holder day soon, so can hopefully find out a bit more. I guess I’m also worried the teaching staff are going to be struggling with the transition/workload too and that it might impact on the quality of the teaching. From articles I’ve read, I’m not sure how happy everyone is about the change. I would just hate this first year to be a stressful mess, but maybe I’m overthinking it!?
Original post by Nicolachap
Thank you for your response, it is reassuring. She’s going to an offer holder day soon, so can hopefully find out a bit more. I guess I’m also worried the teaching staff are going to be struggling with the transition/workload too and that it might impact on the quality of the teaching. From articles I’ve read, I’m not sure how happy everyone is about the change. I would just hate this first year to be a stressful mess, but maybe I’m overthinking it!?

I imagine on the admin side there probably will be changes for the staff, but I expect many will have worked in similar systems elsewhere before. Also as the teaching time is only going to be 11 weeks, there isn't much change on that front from before except perhaps the exact dates teaching occurs in - it'll just be an extra week of teaching. I imagine the bigger change will be around assessments and when they are held, but I doubt this will make much of a difference for new students (might be a bit of an adjustment for continuing students).

Honestly I really doubt new students will have much issue from the changes. It'll mainly be more work for the staff to adjust things, and continuing students may find switching over a bit odd (and there may be edge cases where e.g. students are retaking a module/year where it becomes more complicated).
It's pretty common across universities. Semester 1 teaching normally ends at Christmas with revision and exams in January before Semester 2 starts - and again teaching normally finished by Easter with revision lectures and exams after Easter.

University holidays are normally longer than school holidays - so Christmas will normally be ~3 weeks (or sometimes 4) and Easter will usually be around 4 weeks too.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
It's pretty common across universities. Semester 1 teaching normally ends at Christmas with revision and exams in January before Semester 2 starts - and again teaching normally finished by Easter with revision lectures and exams after Easter.

University holidays are normally longer than school holidays - so Christmas will normally be ~3 weeks (or sometimes 4) and Easter will usually be around 4 weeks too.

Thanks for your reply. York appears to only have 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks at Easter, in this new system, which is why I was concerned! They finish at the very beginning of June though. However, like the earlier poster said, hopefully within the 4 week exam period each semester, there will be some down time. It just sounds like the 2 weeks at Christmas will be spent revising...:frown:
Thanks for your reply. York appears to only have 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks at Easter, in this new system, which is why I was concerned! They finish at the very beginning of June though. However, like the earlier poster said, hopefully within the 4 week exam period each semester, there will be some down time. It just sounds like the 2 weeks at Christmas will be spent revising...:frown:

Find out when exams are - if they are in December then the 2 weeks is a real break. I think it's better personally.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Find out when exams are - if they are in December then the 2 weeks is a real break. I think it's better personally.

They will be after Christmas, unfortunately. It seems to be: two semesters of 16 weeks, each one broken up into: 1 induction week, 11 weeks teaching, 4 weeks assessment. So xmas break comes before assessments in January. No break between semester 1 and 2 either.
https://www.york.ac.uk/study/semesters-modules/

If she doesn't know any different, hopefully there won't be an issue. Just a bit worried about her burning out with such short breaks. Thanks so much for your replies though, it is making me feel better.

18 Dec - 5 January is 3 weeks for Christmas - and the 4 weeks after Christmas are for "assessment"
25 Mar - 5 Apr is 2 weeks for Easter - but remember there's loads of bank holidays in May too
And by finishing at the start of June that gives 3 and a half months off over the summer for work/placements
(edited 1 year ago)
They will be after Christmas, unfortunately. It seems to be: two semesters of 16 weeks, each one broken up into: 1 induction week, 11 weeks teaching, 4 weeks assessment. So xmas break comes before assessments in January. No break between semester 1 and 2 either.
https://www.york.ac.uk/study/semesters-modules/

If she doesn't know any different, hopefully there won't be an issue. Just a bit worried about her burning out with such short breaks. Thanks so much for your replies though, it is making me feel better.

4 weeks probably includes revision time ... it looks fine to me :smile:
Ok, guys, you’ve all been very reassuring! Thank you for your time in answering! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending