The Student Room Group

Architecture

Hi,

Is there anyone who did Architecture at uni?

If so, how was it and what a levels did you choose? Is the employment rates for architecture decent and what do you do at uni/ work (architect)?

Thanks
Original post by Noshy-Nosh
Hi,

Is there anyone who did Architecture at uni?

If so, how was it and what a levels did you choose? Is the employment rates for architecture decent and what do you do at uni/ work (architect)?

Thanks

hey there, ive applied for arch and im starting uni in sept so not quite got experience yet but ive done work experience in a firm which was being given a site and a [fake] brief to work on for a week. they taught me some software like sketchup and enscape and just let me get on with it, helping me when i needed it but also letting me shadow some architects in meetings or creating presentations, same with their in-house interior design team. if ur considering architecture, defo aim to get some work experience - over summer perhaps. for my a levels im doing maths, art and geography which covers a tonne of the skills you'd need as an architect like sketching, problem solving, geographical context of sites, understanding urban cities etc. as for employability, as far as ive researched its quite high. on uni websites it usually shows what % of students get a job 18 months after graduating, but architecture is quite in demand regardless. hope this helps a little!
Reply 2
Original post by arch17
hey there, ive applied for arch and im starting uni in sept so not quite got experience yet but ive done work experience in a firm which was being given a site and a [fake] brief to work on for a week. they taught me some software like sketchup and enscape and just let me get on with it, helping me when i needed it but also letting me shadow some architects in meetings or creating presentations, same with their in-house interior design team. if ur considering architecture, defo aim to get some work experience - over summer perhaps. for my a levels im doing maths, art and geography which covers a tonne of the skills you'd need as an architect like sketching, problem solving, geographical context of sites, understanding urban cities etc. as for employability, as far as ive researched its quite high. on uni websites it usually shows what % of students get a job 18 months after graduating, but architecture is quite in demand regardless. hope this helps a little!

Thanks. If you don’t mind me asking, how is a level art? I do Gcse art and I don’t know whether I should do it for a levels.

thanks
Thanks. If you don’t mind me asking, how is a level art? I do Gcse art and I don’t know whether I should do it for a levels.

thanks

its certainly something to say the least, i didnt do it at gcse so youre already at an advantage but honestly its really fun but difficult id say you need to be disciplined as the workload is a lot especially with other a levels and extracurriculars but its so different to purely academic stuff so its kinda like a nice break from notetaking and doing questions, if you are really enjoying art and are doing well at it i would totally give a level a go but if not then the stuff u do at gcse can still be included in a portfolio for architecture, just make sure u add in some recent work too (as in anything in y12 spare time)
Reply 4
Original post by arch17
its certainly something to say the least, i didnt do it at gcse so youre already at an advantage but honestly its really fun but difficult id say you need to be disciplined as the workload is a lot especially with other a levels and extracurriculars but its so different to purely academic stuff so its kinda like a nice break from notetaking and doing questions, if you are really enjoying art and are doing well at it i would totally give a level a go but if not then the stuff u do at gcse can still be included in a portfolio for architecture, just make sure u add in some recent work too (as in anything in y12 spare time)

Hey,

What do u mean by ‘portfolio for architecture?’

Thanks
Hey,

What do u mean by ‘portfolio for architecture?’

Thanks

Architecture is a creative design based degree and career. If you want to study architecture then you will usually be asked for a portfolio of design, art and drawing work for a university to assess your suitability. This is especially the case if you don’t take a creative A level.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Architecture is a creative design based degree and career. If you want to study architecture then you will usually be asked for a portfolio of design, art and drawing work for a university to assess your suitability. This is especially the case if you don’t take a creative A level.

So if I take Art will I still need to create a portfolio, or does it still depend on the uni I applied to?
So if I take Art will I still need to create a portfolio, or does it still depend on the uni I applied to?

depends on unis so eg edinborough doesnt ask for a portfolio at all but ucl or manchester will
you can put any art in a portfolio but usually they will give u suggestions for what to include, doing art a level just means you have more things to include

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending