The Student Room Group

Becoming a solicitor

I am currently studying Maritime Business and Law and want to progress onto becoming a maritime solicitor. Im planning on applying and hoping I get accepted to some LLM options but also have the option of studying the MA of Law conversion course as my course doesn't have enough law to qualify. Does it matter if I study an MA or an LLM and then progress onto the SQE? Any thoughts on the topic would be good.
Original post by rollobuss7
I am currently studying Maritime Business and Law and want to progress onto becoming a maritime solicitor. Im planning on applying and hoping I get accepted to some LLM options but also have the option of studying the MA of Law conversion course as my course doesn't have enough law to qualify. Does it matter if I study an MA or an LLM and then progress onto the SQE? Any thoughts on the topic would be good.

As far as I know, you would need to have a qualifying law degree in order to become a barrister, but you just need any degree to go into the SQE.

So, you can imagine my surprise when you were mentioning LLM and law conversion courses when you don't need to.

See: https://www.sra.org.uk/become-solicitor/sqe/
The requirement to get a conversion course is as clear as mud at the moment. Some law firms are still insisting people do one before getting the SQE (apparently the stereotype that law firms are resistant to change must have some truth in it!)

Unfortunately this means for a lot of firms access has gotten worse, not better. Whereas previously you needed to do GDL then LPC, now firms seem to want you to do a PGDL, SQE 1 and SQE 2. For someone with common sense rather than the average law partner, this basically requires people to study two courses (PGDL and SQE 1) with a huge amount of overlap.

I don't think this silly demand is common across the sector however; some firms seem to realise that if you attend a decent SQE prep course rather than attempt to cram yourself that should be sufficient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending