The Student Room Group

Algebra

in a shop, pens are sold only in packs. A pack of 4 blue pens costs $5 and a pack of 5 green pens costs $8. James bought an equal number of blue and green pens. He spent $84 more on the green pens than the blue pens. How many blue pens did he buy?

Scroll to see replies

Crikey, that's an awful lot of pens. What in earth was James doing with them all?!
Original post by Reality Check
Crikey, that's an awful lot of pens. What in earth was James doing with them all?!

Please give me a step by step solution to the question. In advance, Thanks.
Original post by HotChocoLover
Please give me a step by step solution to the question. In advance, Thanks.

No. This isn't how TSR works - it's not a free homework service, or ChatGPT.

You need to post up what you have so far, and then people will be happy to help you refine your answer.
Original post by Reality Check
No. This isn't how TSR works - it's not a free homework service, or ChatGPT.

You need to post up what you have so far, and then people will be happy to help you refine your answer.

Ahh, ok! So basically I know that 1 blue pen = $5/4 and 1 green pen = $8/5
and we know that Numbers of blue = numbers of green, and that green costs = $84 more than what blue cost
we get the equation: blue = x and green = y
4x/5 = 5(4x/5 + 84) / 8
4x/5 = 4x+420/8
4x*8 = 5(4x + 420)
32x = 20x + 2100
32x - 20x = 2100
12x/12 = 2100/12
x = 175
Reply 5
The pens are sold only in packs, so it's probably best to label pack of blue=x , pack of green=y.
You know a pack of blue costs £5, so the total amount will be 5x. Same process for green. You also know what the difference between the cost of both
You know the total amount of blue pens will be 4x, again do the same for green. You know you will have an equal number of pens of each colour.
You can set up 2 equations and then solve for the number of blue pens he's bought.
Original post by Skiwi
The pens are sold only in packs, so it's probably best to label pack of blue=x , pack of green=y.
You know a pack of blue costs £5, so the total amount will be 5x. Same process for green. You also know what the difference between the cost of both
You know the total amount of blue pens will be 4x, again do the same for green. You know you will have an equal number of pens of each colour.
You can set up 2 equations and then solve for the number of blue pens he's bought.

am sorry, i dont follow
am sorry, i dont follow

#5 looks promising but a bit complex? You could try and verify 175 and see if the price difference is 84.

But Id be tempted to work out the difference in price for 1 pen (green - blue) and simply divide 84 by that.
Original post by mqb2766
#5 looks promising but a bit complex? You could try and verify 175 and see if the price difference is 84.

But Id be tempted to work out the difference in price for 1 pen (green - blue) and simply divide 84 by that.

Like no cap, am really confused
Like no cap, am really confused

About what? Working out the price difference (green - blue) for 1 pen, or divding 84 by that or ...?
Original post by mqb2766
About what? Working out the price difference (green - blue) for 1 pen, or divding 84 by that or ...?

what is green minus blue
Reply 11
am sorry, i dont follow

Which part don't you follow?
what is green minus blue

price of 1 green pen - price of 1 blue pen
Original post by Skiwi
Which part don't you follow?

Original post by mqb2766
price of 1 green pen - price of 1 blue pen

i got the right answer, but dont know why?
i got the right answer, but dont know why?

Post what you thought / which part youre confused about.
Original post by mqb2766
Post what you thought / which part youre confused about.

basically done as u suggested:
(8/5 - 5/4)x = 84
(32/20 - 25/20) x = 84
20*(7/20)x = 84*20
7x/7 = 1680/7
x = 240
came forth with the right answer, but dont know why and where the x came from, just added the x in for optic :eek:
basically done as u suggested:
(8/5 - 5/4)x = 84
(32/20 - 25/20) x = 84
20*(7/20)x = 84*20
7x/7 = 1680/7
x = 240
came forth with the right answer, but dont know why and where the x came from, just added the x in for optic :eek:

When you formulate the original equation, try and write down clearly what each of the parts represent so
(8/5 - 5/4) ....
x ...
84 ...
As its algebra, it should balance.
Original post by mqb2766
When you formulate the original equation, try and write down clearly what each of the parts represent so
(8/5 - 5/4) ....
x ...
84 ...
As its algebra, it should balance.

Is the reason i could do this because it is stated in the problem that green packs = blue packs, ie x = y
Reply 19

James buys x packs of blue pens. Each pack costs £5, so he will spend £5x in total on blue pens.
Each pack has 4 individual pens, so in total he will have 4x blue pens.
You can do the same for the greens. Will cost £8y, in total you have 5y
You know two things: you have the same number of each type and that the green pens cost him £84 more.
As the total number is the same you can say 4x=5y
Can you set up another equation for the fact the greens cost more?
You then solve the two equations for x and calculate the number of blue pens bought.

Note: In this method you are labelling x as the number of packs, not the number of individual pens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending