The Student Room Group

Work experience ideas for Year 10

Hi, I’m trying to find a work experience placement for my daughter next July. She’s in Year 10 and is interested in psychology but for obvious reasons it’s hard to find a placement in that field. I’ve emailed various charities but I’m not getting much luck. Any ideas welcome!
Original post by Indira_R
Hi, I’m trying to find a work experience placement for my daughter next July. She’s in Year 10 and is interested in psychology but for obvious reasons it’s hard to find a placement in that field. I’ve emailed various charities but I’m not getting much luck. Any ideas welcome!

Hey,

Not exactly work experience, but just wanted to add you could also do online courses (that’s what I did) on platforms such as Futurelearn - they offer short courses held by other universities. This can help to show your interest in exploring specific areas of psychology which could benefit her personal statement in future

Other than that I would definitely agree with your idea of charities. Once she is 16 she can apply for hospital placements as well I'm pretty sure!

Best of luck to your daughter with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)
Reply 2
Hi Natalie

Appreciate the advice, that’s really helpful. Maybe a combination of courses and some charity work would be a good combination, I’ll look into it, thank you so much!

KR, Indira
Hi there,

Psychology is a bit tricky to get work experience for, and it isn't really expected for people to have work experience, and they certainly wouldn't expect people to have work experience from year 10! I don't even think it's possible for a year 10 to find work experience relating to psychology :s-smilie:

While it's great that your daughter is so interested in psychology that she wants to get work experience, her energy is better spent doing other things now. Keep that curiosity and want to do more alive though :smile:
Reply 4
Hiya,
Agreed, I don’t think it is possible, I’ve found some avenues that are an option once she’s 18.
This was another way for me to check if there was anything I hadn’t thought of.
I’ll encourage her to stay interested whilst picking up other valuable experience.
Thank you
Original post by Indira_R
Hiya,
Agreed, I don’t think it is possible, I’ve found some avenues that are an option once she’s 18.
This was another way for me to check if there was anything I hadn’t thought of.
I’ll encourage her to stay interested whilst picking up other valuable experience.
Thank you

Hi @Indra_R,

Adding on to what my friend Natalie has said, Psychology work experience at a young age is tough to find.

Keeping her interests alive is great though and you can do this by simply watching shows, films, reading books and articles that talk about topics you are interested in.

OpenUniversity also do free online courses (sometimes you get a certificate) on various topics surrounding Psychology.

I am not sure if she can but volunteering such as litter picking or hobbies that include working as a team, leadership etc. will help develop her transferable skills which are equally as important as academic qualifications.

I hope this helps.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
It can be really difficult to find work experience in the field especially when under 16 or 18. I recommend that she looks into volunteering for charities even if its just at a shop, or helping out with school peer mentoring and mental health programmes! When she's older she may be able to get a job at a care home to start gaining clinical experience. I personally did volunteering and peer mentoring and they were a great asset to my personal statement.
-Kat (2nd year Psychology student at Lancaster University)
Reply 7
Hi, thanks for the advice, really helpful.
It’s useful to know what older students have done previously so appreciate the advice and tips!

Quick Reply

Latest