The Student Room Group

Which A-level maths exam board should I go for?

Hello, I'm self-studying my A-levels and I don't know whether to do AQA or edexcel for maths, people say that AQA is easier than edexcel, since edexcel has a higher grade boundary and their exam questions tend to be confusing and tricky however edexcel has more resources than AQA. I really like how the Edexcel specification is laid out compared to the AQA. In GCSE I did AQA maths, I don't know what exam board to choose from since I like that edexcel has more resources but the exam itself is challenging, and with AQA there are fewer resources but the questions are direct and understandable.
It Is also the same for A-level Chemistry, I don't know what to pick between AQA and OCR.
Original post by Ikra0t
Hello, I'm self-studying my A-levels and I don't know whether to do AQA or edexcel for maths, people say that AQA is easier than edexcel, since edexcel has a higher grade boundary and their exam questions tend to be confusing and tricky however edexcel has more resources than AQA. I really like how the Edexcel specification is laid out compared to the AQA. In GCSE I did AQA maths, I don't know what exam board to choose from since I like that edexcel has more resources but the exam itself is challenging, and with AQA there are fewer resources but the questions are direct and understandable.
It Is also the same for A-level Chemistry, I don't know what to pick between AQA and OCR.

Higher grade boundaries actually imply easier/better-performed questions, hence higher grade boundaries to ensure fixed proportions of people attain particular grades.

I’d probably say Edexcel is a safer bet, because there are more resources out there.

I’d suggest you get a second opinion from @Muttley79, since they actually teach Edexcel maths.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Higher grade boundaries actually imply easier/better-performed questions, hence higher grade boundaries to ensure fixed proportions of people attain particular grades.

I’d probably say Edexcel is a safer bet, because there are more resources out there.

I’d suggest you get a second opinion from @Muttley79, since they actually teach Edexcel maths.

I see, thank you for replying and I'll reach them now, thank you.
Original post by Ikra0t

All Maths A levels are the same difficulty - the higher grade boundaries mean more students scored more marks - all grades are crierion referenced ie a grade A means the same thing whatever board you take. There is an external body that checks this.

I'd go with Edexcel because there are so many resouces such as Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
All Maths A levels are the same difficulty - the higher grade boundaries mean more students scored more marks - all grades are crierion referenced ie a grade A means the same thing whatever board you take. There is an external body that checks this.

I'd go with Edexcel because there are so many resouces such as Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

Oooh, I fully understand, and thank you so much! This would definitely help me. Also, I have another question if you don't mind, do you think a whole day focusing on maths is a good idea? e.g on Monday I'll just revise for maths then Tuesday I'd focus on chemistry, sociology on Wednesday, maths on Thursday, chemistry on Friday, and so on repeating that cycle.
Original post by Ikra0t

Heya!
If it helps, you could check out past papers from both boards alongside mark schemes and see which one you like more :h: Study Mind has free AQA and Edexcel papers you could check out just to see the style and compare the two. Regarding revision, I had days where I would focus on specific subjects, e.g. Monday for maths, and it helped me! I would recommend trying it out and see if it works for you as well :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Ikra0t
Oooh, I fully understand, and thank you so much! This would definitely help me. Also, I have another question if you don't mind, do you think a whole day focusing on maths is a good idea? e.g on Monday I'll just revise for maths then Tuesday I'd focus on chemistry, sociology on Wednesday, maths on Thursday, chemistry on Friday, and so on repeating that cycle.

For Maths I think a couple of hours every day would be better :smile: There's a reason why Maths has lessons most days ...
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
For Maths I think a couple of hours every day would be better :smile: There's a reason why Maths has lessons most days ...

So would my usual timetable be alright? Got Monday for maths, Tuesday for sociology, Wednesday for chemistry and it repeats
Reply 8
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
If it helps, you could check out past papers from both boards alongside mark schemes and see which one you like more :h: Study Mind has free AQA and Edexcel papers you could check out just to see the style and compare the two. Regarding revision, I had days where I would focus on specific subjects, e.g. Monday for maths, and it helped me! I would recommend trying it out and see if it works for you as well :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you so much this definitely helped me! 😌✨
Original post by Ikra0t
So would my usual timetable be alright? Got Monday for maths, Tuesday for sociology, Wednesday for chemistry and it repeats

No, I'd copy what schools do - a couple of hour for Maths then similar for the other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest