The Student Room Group

QMUL vs. Durham for Law (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

I am an international student with offers for Law from both QMUL and Durham. I am honestly so, so torn on which school I should make my firm.
Queen Mary is in London so that would be good for connections/stuff to do/work experience, while Durham is a more prestigious school with a well-regarded degree.
If this reaches any QMUL or Durham law students please tell me, what made you choose your school over others?
Also, what makes a Durham Law degree more highly regarded than others?
Durham.

This being in London for uni conferring any advantage at all is such nonsense.
Reply 2
Original post by LawStudent456
Durham.

This being in London for uni conferring any advantage at all is such nonsense.

Ohh, how so?
Original post by danwu
Ohh, how so?

Which one are you saying how too?
It’s common knowledge that Durham is one of the best unis. That’s why all the Oxbridge rejects go there and not Queen Mary.

Durham will have more graduates at top firms than Queen Mary and Durham is well over 200 miles away from the capital.
Durham.

If you said KCL then I can somewhat agree but QMUL is just pretty decent as a uni.
Reply 5
Original post by LawStudent456
Which one are you saying how too?
It’s common knowledge that Durham is one of the best unis. That’s why all the Oxbridge rejects go there and not Queen Mary.

Durham will have more graduates at top firms than Queen Mary and Durham is well over 200 miles away from the capital.

I've heard so much about Durham from its current students and it sounds like a great school. However, I've never been to Durham ever. I've only been to London once but I really liked it because it feels like home (not really sure how to describe it). So could you explain why being in London doesn't give me an advantage (or explain why it's all nonsense)? I know all the other big colleges like UCL and King's are there but looking beyond the competition, what other disadvantage does it give me? It seems like QMUL provides a lot of employment opportunities for its students.
Also what exactly makes Durham law better than Queen Mary looking beyond its prestige and reputation? Is it the way the courses are lined up?
Thank you for your responses!
Reply 6
Original post by Disposable_user
Durham.

If you said KCL then I can somewhat agree but QMUL is just pretty decent as a uni.

If I had applied to KCL or got into UCL.... would have made this decision a lot easier.
Original post by danwu
If I had applied to KCL or got into UCL.... would have made this decision a lot easier.

?
The decision is easier now because you didn’t lmao. Just firm Durham.
Many more Durham grads get training contracts with Durham than Queen Mary

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending