The Student Room Group

what do people think about looks

Do people actually pay attention to what people are wearing and what they look like? I wanna start wearing dresses but i dont like the look of my legs and i know i shouldnt let anything stop me but do people actually notice and judge as much as its portrayed on social media?
I know social media is different to real life because of being behind a screen but yeah i wanna know what people think
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
Do people actually pay attention to what people are wearing and what they look like? I wanna start wearing dresses but i dont like the look of my legs and i know i shouldnt let anything stop me but do people actually notice and judge as much as its portrayed on social media?
I know social media is different to real life because of being behind a screen but yeah i wanna know what people think

I read a quote that was something along the lines on 'people would prefer a real smile from you than a muted one' and I know it's so silly to answer your post with a quote but it really made me think - I'm a really insecure person but one thing that puts me at ease is that the people around me (hopefully) appreciate me for me and not for how I look. In other words, your friends/family etc will appreciate you for your presence, your self, much more than they care about your legs. And those that are not your friends/family, eg people who are being rude and do, for whatever reason, have a problem with your legs, are not the people you need to concern yourself with! I know it's scary taking that first move but you have every right to dress the way in which you like; it's fun and, although it may be scary at first, ultimately will make you feel good about yourself :smile: People in real life are just happy to be around you, hopefully they are wise enough to know that social media is airbrushed and edited and that it's normal for humans to have 'imperfections'. :smile: I started wearing skirts in the summer last year and it was scary as hell but I made a little bit of progress and it was rewarding. good luck
Most sighted people are very visual.
Thus their first impressions are primarily based on a stranger's appearance, fashion sense, body language, personal hygiene and most obvious habits.
Reply 3
yes unfortunately I judge and so does 99% of people at your appearance .
Original post by astiaf
yes unfortunately I judge and so does 99% of people at your appearance .

yeah but i wish i knew how many bad thoughts go through peoples mind because i'll have about 1 for 1 person and then forget about it but thats me.
Well I personally won't care about attire but I do prefer to interact with people with good hygiene. It's also only cuz I have OCD and am very particular about cleanliness so I am an exception. Imo if your appearance is tidy and your personality is nice then you are more attractive than someone with a bad personality but good looks. But as I said every opinion is personal. The answer to your question is Yes people judge by what you wear BUT if your personality is really really nice then it can make people overlook everything else.
Wear what you want and do what you want!
Don't let the fear of others judging you stop you from being who you are. Just be unapologetically you!
I also don't like my legs, every woman in my family has bigger legs and I have swollen knees due to arthritis but last summer I started wearing dresses, I stopped caring, as long as you dress in something that suits you and doesn't look totally ridiculous I don't see why we we should cover our legs up especially in summer. I probably myself pay loads of attention to how people look some people I speak don't notice anything. Wear what makes you comfortable and what makes you feel pretty.
Well I get a lot of attention when I wear tight and revealing stuff. Positive attention from both women and men

Quick Reply

Latest