The Student Room Group

I can't take my face mask off because of my facial insecurities

Ever since covid started and everyone started wearing masks i got very insecure about my looks and the only way to hide that is by wearing a mask now that covid is over and most people don't wear masks no more i always get asked why im wearing one mostly at school or if i'm out i get people looking at me cuz most people don't wear a mask anymore when i go out im only 15 and i wish i could take my mask off but my insecurity could never and i have very little confidence in myself i feel like with the mask i look alot prettier but when im at home and look at myself in the mirror i wished i looked normal and prettier like everyone/most people my age do the reason behind this is i have bad dark eye circles and bags and a small mole over my upper lip which im very insecure about and think makes me look ugly and if i take of my mask everyone will keep staring at me and im not comfortable taking off my mask especially when sum1 asks what i look like without a mask i try to find some excuses to use so i don't have to show them like this one time i was at school at PE and we were doing our mile on the track and everyone had there mask off cuz it was hot and these 3 girls from a different class were behind me and kept following me and trying to talk to me to take off my mask they said who still wears a mask in this hot weather and they wouldn't leave me alone at all they made more and other people tell me to take of my mask to see what i look like i told my teacher if i can go use the bathroom to get out of that situation and idk when im gonna be able to take this mask off day by day it gets scary for me to go out cuz most people don't wear masks anymore and i feel like im the odd one out. What should i do please help.
i felt the same way for the longest time but as you said having a mask only makes you stand out more. i got over it gradually like when i go out to the park/shops alone i would take my mask off, it's easier bc those ppl in public u will likely never see again. i promise you ppl care a lot less than u think, i hope u can overcome it soon ! <33
I used to feel like this too. I managed to get over it by taking better care of my face and body, and accepting me for who I am. Remember that people care a lot less than you may think. I hope you can get over it too soon!
Reply 3
Thanks <3
Original post by elinakim505
Ever since covid started and everyone started wearing masks i got very insecure about my looks and the only way to hide that is by wearing a mask now that covid is over and most people don't wear masks no more i always get asked why im wearing one mostly at school or if i'm out i get people looking at me cuz most people don't wear a mask anymore when i go out im only 15 and i wish i could take my mask off but my insecurity could never and i have very little confidence in myself i feel like with the mask i look alot prettier but when im at home and look at myself in the mirror i wished i looked normal and prettier like everyone/most people my age do the reason behind this is i have bad dark eye circles and bags and a small mole over my upper lip which im very insecure about and think makes me look ugly and if i take of my mask everyone will keep staring at me and im not comfortable taking off my mask especially when sum1 asks what i look like without a mask i try to find some excuses to use so i don't have to show them like this one time i was at school at PE and we were doing our mile on the track and everyone had there mask off cuz it was hot and these 3 girls from a different class were behind me and kept following me and trying to talk to me to take off my mask they said who still wears a mask in this hot weather and they wouldn't leave me alone at all they made more and other people tell me to take of my mask to see what i look like i told my teacher if i can go use the bathroom to get out of that situation and idk when im gonna be able to take this mask off day by day it gets scary for me to go out cuz most people don't wear masks anymore and i feel like im the odd one out. What should i do please help.

Hey! I completely understand what you mean. At high school, I felt extremely self conscious but the thing that got me through was a conversation I had with my friends. We were talking about how we all felt uncomfortable with how we looked and our insecurities when we realised that no one noticed each others. Everyone was to busy thinking about how they look to everyone else that they don't really pay that much attention to other people's appearances. I started to stop caring what I looked like because at the end of the day, I knew that no one was judging me because they were focused on what others were thinking about them!
I think you should take your mask off if you feel comfortable to or maybe pull it down from your face for a few minutes and build up to fully taking it off if its more comfotable to you. Remember that you are beautiful and to be confident!! Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Hey! I completely understand what you mean. At high school, I felt extremely self conscious but the thing that got me through was a conversation I had with my friends. We were talking about how we all felt uncomfortable with how we looked and our insecurities when we realised that no one noticed each others. Everyone was to busy thinking about how they look to everyone else that they don't really pay that much attention to other people's appearances. I started to stop caring what I looked like because at the end of the day, I knew that no one was judging me because they were focused on what others were thinking about them!
I think you should take your mask off if you feel comfortable to or maybe pull it down from your face for a few minutes and build up to fully taking it off if its more comfotable to you. Remember that you are beautiful and to be confident!! Good luck :smile:

Thanks this means alot to me :smile:
idk if this helps but wearing masks now when practically nobody wears them means you draw more attention to yourself now that you are one of the few who still wear them

we tend to overthink our insecurities btw
Original post by elinakim505
Thanks this means alot to me :smile:

You're welcome! And if I am being honest, I haven't seen half of the people that were in my highschool at my College :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Pandasarecute65
You're welcome! And if I am being honest, I haven't seen half of the people that were in my highschool at my College :smile:

haha damn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending